02-06-2024, 09:00 PM #1

IOS version

I am looking to buy a used iPod touch 6th gen and or 7th gen. I want a player with a head phone port/jack.
    So, which one will be compatible with the xm app?

As I understand - 6th gen gets as high as iOS 12 and the 7th IOS 15.

I have googled this and the web not helpful. Then tried XM and their support could not grasp the question.

02-10-2024, 05:29 PM #2
    Yes, an iPod touch would work, but I would highly recommend a first generation iPhone SE (2016) if you are looking for that small "pocket size" and style. The SE has better specs than an iPod touch (more RAM and faster processor chip), and it also gives you the option to use a sim card to use it as a regular phone (I own two SE first gen phones). I'm assuming since you want an iPod that you are using an Apple phone now, so you could just use a "headphone dongle" ($8 on Amazon) that plugs into the lightning port on the bottom of your phone and gives you a traditional headphone jack, while only adding 3 inches of headphone cord length. If it doesn't have to be an Apple product, then any newer Android phone (2019 and newer) with headphone jack will work just fine. I am currently using a Samsung S10e as my daily phone. It's shirt pocket sized, and it has a headphone jack. One major plus in using an Android phone, you can easily install an earlier version of the SiriusXM app. A lot of folks are complaining about the current version of the app. I am running the October 2023 version (6.7.0) on my phone before they screwed it up. On Apple devices, I believe you are stuck with the latest version of the app. Sorry for the long response, I just wanted to throw some options at you.
    Last edited by Ken; 02-10-2024 at 05:42 PM.

02-11-2024, 01:34 PM #3
    Don’t need another phone. Looking to up grade my nano to an iTouch as it has the hole for the headphones. Just want to plug in and go. A dongle just means one more accessory. Blue tooth works half the time. Of course a money maker for Apple, so they charge $500 for a headphone. ITouch is for when I’m working outside & don’t care much if I drop it.

02-11-2024, 05:30 PM #4
    I understand what you're saying. The SE would still be a better option as a streaming music player than the iPod touch, with its increased RAM and faster processor (same exact size and style, and has a headphone jack). You don't have to use a sim card in it if you don't want to. Keep in mind, without a sim card you will have to be within WIFI range of your home to stream SiriusXM on it.
    Last edited by Ken; 02-11-2024 at 05:33 PM.

02-11-2024, 08:28 PM #5
    Thx and good points. But I might have better luck finding a used touch vs a SE. I tried Amazon, Gazelle & elite obsolete electronics.on the plus side, if I can find one seems cheaper then a iTouch.
    Last edited by sethm; 02-11-2024 at 08:33 PM.

02-12-2024, 02:08 PM #6
    I'm seeing used Apple SE's on Both Amazon and eBay around $75 and up. One worry would be the battery life. These are 8 years old now and don't improve with age. Ha!

02-27-2024, 11:52 AM #7
    So I bought a used iphone SE. It arrived with a version of 14. but when I went to the App store, it would not allow install of XM unless a IOS 16 version or newer. For kicks/giggles I updated the iphone. The newest it would accept was 15.8.1. After the IOS update, I went back to the App store and lo and behold was able to install XM. I logged in and my Favorites are visible.

Its interesting that the XM web site also says compatibility with IOS 16 or newer.

Thoughts - as in how did I get lucky? And how many more years till my luck runs out with XM and on IOS 15.8.1 device?

02-27-2024, 01:16 PM #8
    I'm glad it worked for you. I knew it would, since I also have a 2016 SE with SiriusXM on it. I guess enjoy it while you still can. Don't you love planned obsolescence? Ha!

02-27-2024, 02:16 PM #9
    Good to know your using same phone. Thx