Page 2 of 7 1234 ...
    01-28-2009, 09:29 AM #11

Thumbs down This is sad news

Im really disappointed in this decision. There are people like myself who use the internet radio to listen at work, and dont really care about the improved sound quality I listen to Howard every morning at work. Now I have to pay $3 extra per month to do this?

But wait...my option is to renew now, when my subscription isnt up for 9 months, wait and pay the $3/mo (stupid), or go without. Maybe I should renew now...assuming that gives me 1 year and 9 months on my subscription. By that time, Howard's contract will almost be up and we'll really see if Sirius XM can hold on.

Obviously they feel they are losing money providing a free internet radio service. And/or dont have enough $3 premium subscribers.

Ive been a Sirius fan for 3 years on 2 radios, and this is the first time they've really done something boneheaded, IMO.

The more I think about it, the more annoyed I get. "During the merger, all we heard was "the subscriber's rates will not go up". No, just all the things around the base rate will go up. They are just trying to force renewals to get their first quarter numbers up. BS.
    Last edited by Choachy; 01-28-2009 at 10:35 AM.

Guru
    01-28-2009, 12:51 PM #12
    Choachy, So I have to ask, do you still have cable or satellite tv anymore? I ask because when they raised their rates several times in the last 6 years, (while SIRI held theirs the same) you must have quit right. Dont tell me when they gave you HBO for the first 6 months and then took it away after that time was up and said that, you now are going to have to pay for it, you did cancel correct.

Charles, you see this is the pissing and moaning you are talking about. Well I say they are, people that are pissing against the wind. Them saying they are going to cancel is the same as them tring to say that they are going to cancel cable, because cable did the same crap to them.

NEWS FLASH..........PRICES GO UP......OVER TIME PRICES GO UP.......ITS CALLED INFLATION..........GET WITH THE PROGRAM.....

01-28-2009, 03:28 PM #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Make7upyours728 View Post
    are lifetimes still 100 off making them 399 or they back up to 499?
    I have XM 399 with best of Sirius, so my total was 489.

If the price went down for the lifetime sub, I am calling back!!!!

01-28-2009, 05:19 PM #14

Question

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Choachy, So I have to ask, do you still have cable or satellite tv anymore? I ask because when they raised their rates several times in the last 6 years, (while SIRI held theirs the same) you must have quit right. Dont tell me when they gave you HBO for the first 6 months and then took it away after that time was up and said that, you now are going to have to pay for it, you did cancel correct.

NEWS FLASH..........PRICES GO UP......OVER TIME PRICES GO UP.......ITS CALLED INFLATION..........GET WITH THE PROGRAM.....
    Yes, I did cancel my subscription to my satellite tv provider when they raised rates without offering any new service. As much as I hated it, yes, I went to Comcast. Yes they have raised rates, but they also raised my internet service speed, and have been continually adding HD channels. I consider that worth the increase.

When they gave me HBO for the first 6 months, THEY TOLD ME THAT IT WAS A TRIAL PERIOD. I KNEW THAT AFTER 6 MONTHS, I WOULD HAVE TO PAY TO KEEP IT.

Get the difference here?

If I was told HBO was included in what I was paying, then turned on my TV one day only to get a message saying I have to pay to keep it, I would be pissed...just like now.

When Im sold a product that is said to include certain things, I dont expect to be told I need to pay up front in order to keep those things at a later date.

I was told during the merger talks that rates would not be increased. I clearly remember Mel in his speech saying that you will continue to get what you get now for what you pay now.
    Last edited by Choachy; 01-28-2009 at 05:22 PM.

Guru
    01-28-2009, 09:50 PM #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Choachy View Post
    I was told during the merger talks that rates would not be increased. I clearly remember Mel in his speech saying that you will continue to get what you get now for what you pay now.
    You will if you renew, if your sub runs out after march 11th you'll have to renew and get something that you don't have now and pay different than you pay now. And the option is there to lock in the price by increasing the length of your current subscription.

I do feel you on the not getting anything in return. I guess however you'll get the 128k feed for your $2.99.

Head Honcho
    01-29-2009, 12:27 AM #16
    BTW, not everyone wants the 128k feed. In fact, it is going to be difficult to stream via the iPhone without wifi. So... are they really doing subscribers a favor?
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Guru
    01-29-2009, 08:45 AM #17
    i don't know the data load, but my instinct does TV and fairly well, that includes video and audio, probably substantially more than 128k.

In fact, 3G networks are broadband speeds. Mine never connects under 450k. So yes, they are doing people a favor.

The iphone will do just fine at 128k.

Guru
    01-29-2009, 10:26 AM #18
    Choachy, Not to get into which is better (satellite or cable) I will say being frugal as I am I checked and used both myself. Here is what I have found, that while you pay less for the main subscription to satellite then cable, with satellite you pay for each additional reciever (3 extra) which brings the cost back to what cable is because they dont charge for the extra boxes. Now Not knowing how long ago you switched I can say if it was at least a year you downgraded and you paid almost as much and most likely more for cable as you did for satellite to get the same kind of channel line up (package). The down grade comes in the extra services you got with satellite that you dont get with cable. By the way, hows that waiting for that scoller to hit the channel you want to see whats on, coming for you, It may just be me but nothing beats being able to hit the guide button to see exactly what I want on that channel or any channel now or a week in advance.

As for the extras you are getting from cable and tring to connect them to the price increases. I only have this to say, did you pay any extra to SIRI when they added channels, did you pay any extra to SIRI when they got Stern or Martha, or Bubba, or ect., ect., ect., ect., ect., I could go on and on. I can answer that for you, NO YOU DIDN'T. Would you have felt better if everytime they added channels or improved the sound quality, they gave you a rate increase? I say that because you dont seem to mind when cable did it to you. Dont be a dolt, it as been 6 years (depending on when you joined) that you have gone without a rate increase. You should be happy SIRI has not raised your rates on the main subscription like cable has done several times to you.

Head Honcho
    01-29-2009, 12:51 PM #19
    Quote Originally Posted by imromo24 View Post

The iphone will do just fine at 128k.
    Then why are the guys developing the application worried? I assume they know more then both of us.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Mentor
    01-29-2009, 12:57 PM #20
    Choachy

I've stated this many times in the past week. You like Howard Stern...You listen everyday...So what is the big deal by renewing now versus 9 months for now...Your main sub price will not change...It will cost you absolutely ZERO extra...Now if Howard decides to call it quits at the end of his contract and thats why you have satrad...then by all means cancel, you no longer need it...but until that time, why not cont to enjoy your favorite radio program...BTW the FREE internet feed...WAS NOT FREE TO THE COMPANY. They had to pay royalties and license fees. If you like Howard like you do, this is a no brainer...renew for 1 more year...then decide if you want to remain a sub.

Page 2 of 7 1234 ...