Page 8 of 15 ... 678910 ...
    11-25-2008, 12:31 PM #71

Got a phone call in response to my email

Just got an interesting phone call from Sirius - maybe others here have received a call as well. It came in response to my emailing Mel Karmazin (mkarmazin@siriusradio.com). The customer rep who called thanked me for the feedback about Boombox and confirmed the incredible amount of emails, phone calls and letters they have received from customers expressing their outrage over the new channel lineup. She told me that they are currently working to figure out how to get some of the demanded programming back on the air. However, she would not commit to the complete restoration of Boombox as a channel. She said the internal talk is that they were working to “restore some of the programming.” I asked her to explain that, and she was somewhat vague. She said that the details had not been ironed out, and that they are still considering all possibilities. She also said to expect emails to go out and announcements to be made to all customers. I told her that I had been monitoring the outrage on various forums and blogs, and that I personally did not think Boombox customers would be thrilled with anything less than a complete return of the Boombox channel. I reminded her that many have already canceled their subscriptions, and that all of us are looking at alternatives with internet radio, ipods and even HD radio.
    Here's the last important note: I asked how they were going to restore the programming and she said that they still have a few channels available that have not been used. So they will add new channels to the lineup, not replace current ones. That being said, we need to make a serious push to Sirius to let them know that we not only want our music, but we want a channel dedicated to it 100% just as it was. Otherwise, we may end up with some sort of hybrid that tries to cover multiple genres of music. So to all of you - don't give up! This may be the most important part of our battle. Keep emailing, calling and sending letters. We have definitely been heard, so we need to keep screaming.
    Last edited by Subatom; 11-26-2008 at 02:21 PM.

12-02-2008, 12:04 AM #72
    Dear Gino,

Thanks for the e-mail.
    I appreciate hearing your thoughts on BOOMBOX. Like you, I was a fan of
    the channel. The challenge for us has always been that there is limited
    room on the network and we had to make some difficult decisions with the
    merging of the content from SIRIUS and XM. Please check out ALT NATION,
    which features a weekend electro-beats show that plays the kind of music
    you heard on BOOMBOX.
    Merging the two sets of music channels was a very difficult task, since
    so many people were passionate about each service and what they have
    been listening to for years. We did our best, based on customer surveys
    from both companies, to keep the channels that reached the most
    listeners and performed the best in overall satisfaction. And, in some
    cases, we actually blended the two channels combining the best
    personalities from SIRIUS and XM to create a new combined channel.
    Of course, we did have to say goodbye to a few formats to make room for
    new ones. The best way to see what your choices are now is to go to
    www.SIRIUS.com or www.xmradio.com and download the new channel line-up.
    There are many new choices that you now have access to for no additional
    subscription fees. Please take the time to scroll through the dial and
    see what’s on. You find something you missed or something brand new that
    may become a favorite.
    Thanks again for writing. I know change is tough and hopefully, you’ll
    still see the value in our service to continue as a subscriber.
    Best regards,
    Jon Zellner
    SVP Music Programming
    Sirius XM Radio

12-02-2008, 11:58 AM #73
    Quote Originally Posted by biggino View Post
    Dear Gino,

Thanks for the e-mail.
    I appreciate hearing your thoughts on BOOMBOX. Like you, I was a fan of
    the channel. The challenge for us has always been that there is limited
    room on the network and we had to make some difficult decisions with the
    merging of the content from SIRIUS and XM. Please check out ALT NATION,
    which features a weekend electro-beats show that plays the kind of music
    you heard on BOOMBOX.
    Merging the two sets of music channels was a very difficult task, since
    so many people were passionate about each service and what they have
    been listening to for years. We did our best, based on customer surveys
    from both companies, to keep the channels that reached the most
    listeners and performed the best in overall satisfaction. And, in some
    cases, we actually blended the two channels combining the best
    personalities from SIRIUS and XM to create a new combined channel.
    Of course, we did have to say goodbye to a few formats to make room for
    new ones. The best way to see what your choices are now is to go to
    www.SIRIUS.com or www.xmradio.com and download the new channel line-up.
    There are many new choices that you now have access to for no additional
    subscription fees. Please take the time to scroll through the dial and
    see what’s on. You find something you missed or something brand new that
    may become a favorite.
    Thanks again for writing. I know change is tough and hopefully, you’ll
    still see the value in our service to continue as a subscriber.
    Best regards,
    Jon Zellner
    SVP Music Programming
    Sirius XM Radio
    Form Letter Reply = Fail

12-02-2008, 05:48 PM #74

Thumbs up Wow...

It's the only word I can think of to describe the simply incredible reaction to Boombox I've been seeing all over the internet. You guys are just amazing. Eight pages of posts here on SiriusBuzz. 209 comments (as of right now) on my site (www.liquidtodd.com). Petitions, emails, faxes, phone calls, letters...it just goes on and on.

I'm beyond flattered. I'm just blown away and I wanted to stop by and thank you all from the bottom of my heart. IMHO Boombox is the best thing I've ever done in radio. Seeing all your comments and compliments makes me feel very, very proud. I don't know what's going to happen but I can assure you that your voices have been heard.

And I'm here with some good news! My "Zeros+Ones" show is back on the air. Saturday nights, 10-Mid EST on Alt Nation (Sirius 21, XM 47) with a repeat broadcast Wednesday nights at 2am. I think you'll recognize a lot of the tunes I'm spinning.

Can a two-hour show replace a whole channel? No way. But it's a good show and I wanted to make sure you knew about it.

I also want to wish everyone a very happy and healthy holiday and a wonderful New Year. I cannot thank you enough for all your love and support. I am a very lucky guy.

Thanks for listening to Boombox and take care!

Love,
    Liquid

12-02-2008, 09:18 PM #75

Sigh..

I have been a loyal fan of Sirius for god knows how long, 3 years at least. I had the stationary tuner in my car and the portable one for my truck/house. I was a Boombox faithful listener daily. Even when I went to work, I listened to Boombox, and so did everyone else in my store.. did I forget to mention I work at the biggest retailer in the world and just happen to sell car audio too?

Well I do. I used to have people flock to my bass promotion area just to see what song that was on my ipod and watch them become startled when I let them know that it wasn't my ipod and that it was in fact a radio station that you could subscribe too. Yea, before the channel swap I sold a lot of radio units. By a lot, I mean at least 3 a day. Now its like one.. maybe. Thankfully there is Slacker radio to fill the niche that Sirius decided to leave open. I mean I can't believe that a company would actually open a niche station then leave it open because some random survey (that I never f ing got mind you) said that me and my customers didn't listen to it.

That said, I talked to my Sirius rep recently and he said that if there were any new lineups to be made or replaced, then it would come after February, more like March. He also said that like me and himself, there were a lot of other angry people about the merger. He's currently looking for a different job with Sirius stocks in the toilet and swirling. NOTHING LIKE PUNCHING YOURSELF IN YOUR OWN FACE EH SIRIUS??

12-03-2008, 01:42 AM #76
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidtodd View Post

Love,
    Liquid
    Liquid good to see you on here! Will your show be available for download anywhere else!?!?

Unfortunately that time slot for your show is pretty inadequate .. I hope Sirius/XM comes to their senses and puts you on a more frequent rotation ...

The mix on Alt Nation and Sirius XM U is pretty goddamn aweful.. they'll mix one good song into a dozen crappy ones.. the ****ing Killers need to be shot.. yadda yadda

12-03-2008, 12:34 PM #77
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidtodd View Post

Love,
    Liquid
    Thank you man, I spent a good decade in dusty dingey warehouses across the greater US and could probably be categorized as an "electronic music snob". When faced with a decision in satellite radio providers I listened to what XM provided and gave it a "ho hum, more 'Techno Hits Now!!' garbage dribbled out by record label execs with no clue how to differentiate Two Step from Jungle". Then I tried out the online Sirius trial. "Woah, hold on a sec here!", I actually recognize the artists on this channel and what's more Sirius in general had programming and entire shows by notable Artists in the genre. I've always felt like electronic music has suffered from a lack of understanding when programming is decided. It gets an attitude of "What?, there's a drum machine in there!! Why don't they just shut up and listen?". I appreciate the programming care that must have gone into setting up those playlists and selections you guys provided on Boombox. Sure I didn't like 100% of what was on all the time, but I did appreciate the majority of it and at least felt like someone who actually cared about and understood the genre was at the wheel. I can't say the same for the majority of what is left of the selections on SiriusXM now. It is truly unfortunate, but I for one would like to give you a big Thank You back for all the years of good radio man. I had always had a dream of a channel broadcast where the mix just kept on going, and your channel was as close as it ever came to being real.

12-03-2008, 12:52 PM #78
    Quote Originally Posted by Zguy View Post
    I have been a loyal fan of Sirius for god knows how long, 3 years at least. I had the stationary tuner in my car and the portable one for my truck/house. I was a Boombox faithful listener daily. Even when I went to work, I listened to Boombox, and so did everyone else in my store.. did I forget to mention I work at the biggest retailer in the world and just happen to sell car audio too?

Well I do. I used to have people flock to my bass promotion area just to see what song that was on my ipod and watch them become startled when I let them know that it wasn't my ipod and that it was in fact a radio station that you could subscribe too. Yea, before the channel swap I sold a lot of radio units. By a lot, I mean at least 3 a day. Now its like one.. maybe. Thankfully there is Slacker radio to fill the niche that Sirius decided to leave open. I mean I can't believe that a company would actually open a niche station then leave it open because some random survey (that I never f ing got mind you) said that me and my customers didn't listen to it.

That said, I talked to my Sirius rep recently and he said that if there were any new lineups to be made or replaced, then it would come after February, more like March. He also said that like me and himself, there were a lot of other angry people about the merger. He's currently looking for a different job with Sirius stocks in the toilet and swirling. NOTHING LIKE PUNCHING YOURSELF IN YOUR OWN FACE EH SIRIUS??
    I have to agree with you man, I used to listen too, and tell people it was Sirius, now I get to tell them its the Drum n Bass Arena podcast, or the Marine Parade Podcast. I think that before anybody makes a decision on a music style as large as this channel covered they need to pass a test. Make it a multiple choice. Play them a Alex Metric, Danny Tenaglia, Bassbin Twins, Adam F, and an Oakenfold and then ask them which one was the Big Beat, and which one was DNB, etc. etc. If they can't answer then they can't make any decisions lol. I think there is a basic lack of understanding that when you have something that was this unique in the market it will become a magnet for the people that appreciate it. Once that happens you will get people that make silly decisions like get an entire satellite radio service just for one channel to listen to in the car. Once you take it away they might just be infuriated by your ignorance and realize that their original decision was probably extravagant in the first place and seek other means to fill the same need. For me it became ipod with some good podcasts. Will I renew? Nope, not without Boombox. Will I recommend SiriusXM? Nope, not without Boombox. Sorry SiriusXM execs, you invited us in, I guess you didn't realize what you had going on. You might as well have showed up at the warehouse and turned off the generators in the middle of the headline set man!, so pardon the rude comments as we shuffle out the front loading dock door to head across town to the next party []

12-05-2008, 11:56 AM #79

Thumbs down Complete Shit.

I'm late posting something about this but the day the switched the programming and put Channel 39 on I was like, "this has to be a mistake they had to move it." Nope. Gone. I just yelled in my car, "you've got to ****ing be kidding me!?!?!?!" Especially since I finally went out and bought Sirius, oh, last month and bought the lifetime membership. So I got one month of Boombox for $500. I've never felt so stupid.

Like a lot of people, I chose Sirius over XM for Boombox. My usual day went Howard on the way to work in the morning and Boombox the rest. It's just a shame in this country that we have such shit music. Top 40 crap, all the time, 24/7. I thought that Sirius was starting something when they put a Breaks station up but once again, numbers win. It's really deflating.

Everyone needs to sign that petition though. I just did it today and I'm 326? That's really weak. We need that to be much higher!

Check this out, decent article:
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...d-changes.html

Also, here's the petition link from earlier in this thread:
    http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...gn.cgi?boombox

I'm (we're) going to do something about this... just wait. Sirius won't have a monopoly for long.

12-05-2008, 12:33 PM #80

Angry

Old article, but well played:

http://radio.about.com/od/satelliter.../aa111708a.htm

I thought I was pissed first off but I'm getting more and more pissed about this shit. Such a freakin' scam it makes me sick.

Page 8 of 15 ... 678910 ...