Page 1 of 2 12
    06-22-2009, 10:28 AM #1

The Reason Stern is not on Iphone App

It's pretty clear to me clear to me why Stern is not on the app. It is because the app does not differentiate between Sirius and XM subscribers as there is a single app with content available to subscribers from both services. However, if Stern was on the app, XM users who did not bother signing up for the best of stern would get free stern under the app as a windfall. Sirius XM is simply protecting the "Best of Sirius" by not providing Stern free on the App, which would allow any XM subscriber with a premium internet sub to bypass the best of Sirius.

BTW, I'm not a Stern fan and I don't think his fans are anywhere near the 60% of sat radio listeners he has been claiming lately. How could that possibly be? Sirius accounts for roughly 50% of listeners and less than 10% of xm listeners have the best of sirius (around 700K as of last conf call). So Stern is claiming every Sirius listener plus more than 10% of XM listeners. I know many sat radio users, and not one of them is a Stern listener.

The App is a success regardless of Stern. A few thousand hard core Stern fans complaining is not representative of mainstream users, most of whom don't bother to review the app.

Mentor
    06-22-2009, 10:54 AM #2
    I agree. Only people who are rating it and filling out why are people pissed they couldnt steal howard from free. Bitchers bitch. Happy people enjoy.
    Same point about all the negative responses from the XM channel changes, and the fee increases. You head the bitchers only. No ones going to log on and say, hey I love the rate increase. Or I dont mind that XM channels were gutted one bit!! Still a great service.
    This is logical. Probably be available for .99 cents a month at a later date. APP is a huge sucess regardless of Howard being on it. Cant get higher that #1. At least not since last time I checked.

06-22-2009, 11:15 AM #3
    Its not a matter of "protecting the best of Sirius." If that were the case, how do you explain the exclusive XM content being available on App? Why wouldn't they want to protect the best of XM too? Besides, the Iphone App opens up sat. radio to so many potential new listeners, Sirius would gladly give up the few who could "get around" the couple of dollars savings by signing up for premium internet of $2.99 versus the "best of Sirius" in a heartbeat.

Stern wants more money, plain and simple. Apparently 500 Million and millions in stock options isn't enough. The company is bankrupt, and Stern wants to take one more cut out it.

Guru
    06-22-2009, 12:18 PM #4
    the company is bankrupt? stern was paid alot of his 500 million with stock, that he still owns. stern has taken a massive paycut when the stock dropped believe it or not. plz be careful the words u decide to throw around, specially the bk word

Guru
    06-22-2009, 12:23 PM #5

interoperable app

thanks for mentioning that the app contains both xm and sirius, i thought i noticed that also, you don't see people making statements about this "interoperable" reciever...good job (assuming its true, can someone confirm?)

or does it depend on your subscription?

06-22-2009, 12:31 PM #6
    Quote Originally Posted by trippingthespeculatingpos View Post
    the company is bankrupt? stern was paid alot of his 500 million with stock, that he still owns. stern has taken a massive paycut when the stock dropped believe it or not. plz be careful the words u decide to throw around, specially the bk word
    Fair enough. I shouldn't have used the BK word. That came out of frustration of following this stock and every time something good is about to happen it seems like the rug gets pulled out. I feel like Howard pulled the rug out on the Apple app.

As for the other point- Oprah, XM public radio, Opie and Anthony, etc., are all available on the app.

06-22-2009, 12:45 PM #7
    Hey guys,
    I haven't posted over here in a long time, but saw your topic and wanted to chime in.

I have a sirius only subscription, including premium online access. I also have the new app on my ipod touch and unless you have Best of XM on your Sirius account, you do NOT get those XM online channels on your Apple app. So I don't get Oprah or The Virus. Same would be true for xm subscribers. Unless they subscribed to best of sirius, they would not get Howard, even if he were on.

Hope that helps.....:-)

Mentor
    06-22-2009, 12:51 PM #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheree View Post
    Hey guys,
    I haven't posted over here in a long time, but saw your topic and wanted to chime in.

I have a sirius only subscription, including premium online access. I also have the new app on my ipod touch and unless you have Best of XM on your Sirius account, you do NOT get those XM online channels on your Apple app. So I don't get Oprah or The Virus. Same would be true for xm subscribers. Unless they subscribed to best of sirius, they would not get Howard, even if he were on.

Hope that helps.....:-)
    Thanks sheree,that is good info because it would create 2 prices,costing xm subs to pay almost $20 to get howard and only $16 for Siri subs,this must be what Mel didn't want to do and contract probably says Sirius only..

Guru
    06-22-2009, 12:54 PM #9
    thx for the info sheree, i was pretty sure it wasnt both services in 1, you have to sign up still either for xm or sirius.

06-22-2009, 01:00 PM #10
    Ya, I was kind of bummed cause I really wanted Oprah!
    NOT! LOL!

Your all welcome....:-)

Page 1 of 2 12