Page 20 of 22 ... 101819202122
    Enthusiast
    05-29-2009, 04:44 PM #191
    Quote Originally Posted by underway View Post
    Thanks! Yes, now I remember reading this stuff. Ok, since it works via S-XM, that's a very good thing. I see it also supports 3G, etc, so cell apps will work too, but that leads back to the bandwidth/cost discussion earlier. I see it as a win technology for S-XM.

no i was reading on one of the links where the networks will allow use at no cost based on how the content would be deliverd and the type of content something is clearly up. imho because if they are delivering their own contracted content over their network it could be free to them.

im just not sure it wont be a two edged sword type of thing. but we should have a better ideal by june third

the ford deal at one point included ten channels and would allow them to do as they liked and included delivery of music content and had to meet fcc requirments.im not even sure that this agreemnet with ford exist any longer.by the same token i never saw or heard or read anything that indicated it was void or reworked.

Addict
    05-29-2009, 04:49 PM #192
    Quote Originally Posted by tim wallick View Post
    no i was reading on one of the links where the networks will allow use at no cost based on how the content would be deliverd and the type of content something is clearly up. imho because if they are delivering their own contracted content over their network it could be free to them.

im just not sure it wont be a two edged sword type of thing. but we should have a better ideal by june third

the ford deal at one point included ten channels and would allow them to do as they liked and included delivery of music content and had to meet fcc requirments.im not even sure that this agreemnet with ford exist any longer.by the same token i never saw or heard or read anything that indicated it was void or reworked.
    Hmmm....who is permitting free network access? Is SXM giving free access to use someone else's content? Are the cell companies going to permit free access, or, more likely, it's a black box in the car and gets registerd with cell carrier like a cell phone acct, which the car owner pays for. If the latter, then it is the bandwidth/cost problem...it will become expensive if millions start using it to stream 'free' music via internet radio.

05-29-2009, 04:49 PM #193
    and there goes the AH rally to .38. Back down to .355. Still a good day but i was hoping for some reason that we would see .40 in AH and then start next week off around there.

If we can drive the SP up to low .40's somehow before the iPhone App announcement which we all believe is June 8th at the WWDC, then it may be a start to another rally. HOwever this time when we get there we have to hope that no one is looking to get out and holds for the bigger move up.

Enthusiast
    05-29-2009, 04:54 PM #194
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyIrishXM View Post
    Tim,SXM has a deal with GM for on star and 10% odf band width,also with Honda for same 10% but not used yet..One of the stips is they can't use it to compete with SXM or interfere with reception issues
    i understand that, also gm/onstar use they same groups as hughes plans to.does siriusxm need two competing telematics platforms based on the same concept of sdr.

the only deal i ever read was for ford and it allowed music do you have the other deals that spells out a no music or phone service clause.

Mentor
    05-29-2009, 05:50 PM #195
    Right...that's not the same thing. The third party buys up stock at market, and they do it that way so no one knows LIBERTY is behind the deal and is on the prowl to buy up shares and launch take over, which of course, would drive up the stock price. Then Liberty buys the shares from the third party. But, no one can approach SIRI and say, 'hey guys, you just had authorization to issue more shares, so we want them for .10/share even though market says .35. That would be illegal, as it is screwing the company out of money for those shares.
    I believe its in the companies stockholder agreement that would dictate the terms on how they can issue shares. Pretty sure Ive seen stock sales below market value before.

Enthusiast
    05-29-2009, 05:57 PM #196
    Hmmm....who is permitting free network access? Is SXM giving free access to use someone else's content? Are the cell companies going to permit free access, or, more likely, it's a black box in the car and gets registerd with cell carrier like a cell phone acct, which the car owner pays for. If the latter, then it is the bandwidth/cost problem...it will become expensive if millions start using it to stream 'free' music via internet radio.

The application is said to combine the portability and utility of a handheld navigation unit with the appeal of current Smartphone technology. It was first previewed at this year's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

In addition to a SYNC-equipped vehicle, all that is needed is a Bluetooth-enabled phone. Users who've downloaded the application can get up-to-date traffic, weather, sports reports, news, and other information via their SYNC setup.

Key features include:

* Traffic. Drivers in 95 markets nationwide can program SYNC to send traffic reports to their mobile devices before and/or during their commute each day, or on demand. SYNC can read the text messages aloud when the vehicle is in motion. The traffic information is aggregated by Ford's partner INRIX.

* Directions. Smart phones with Googlemaps are affordable nav system of choice, and Sync takes the idea and makes it safe for drivers. Using a deCarta mapping engine and TeleNav's turn-by turn directions, SYNC users can get directions to 14 million businesses using simple voice commands. In response Sync can place a voice call to the business if desired, or send a text message and map to the user's smart phone, or download turn-by-turn directions to the business which SYNC reads off as each turn approaches.

* Information. As with fancier subscription based systems like Sirius Travel Link, you can program SYNC to stream sports scores, stock quotes, weather conditions, entertainment news, and more.

Once logged on, users can also determine what kind of content they would like streamed to their in-car system. The service is free for the first three years of vehicle ownership.
    Ford estimates there are 1 million 2010 model year Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles on the road. Click the link below to download the relevant SYNC updates.

Source: Ford

Mentor
    05-29-2009, 08:02 PM #197
    Quote Originally Posted by tim wallick View Post
    i understand that, also gm/onstar use they same groups as hughes plans to.does siriusxm need two competing telematics platforms based on the same concept of sdr.

the only deal i ever read was for ford and it allowed music do you have the other deals that spells out a no music or phone service clause.
    tim,it was in the annual proxy report sent to me,i'll find it and post a link..

Guru
    05-30-2009, 01:09 AM #198
    Quote Originally Posted by trippingthespeculatingpos View Post
    who said this yesterday?

"if u look at the breakouts before they all started right after days just like this, where there is a big red bar just like today, if ur looking at an ohlc daily 6 month chart. anyway i initially thought .30 would be the support but then .34 gave me hope. this drop might of just finnaly killed the downtrend, but you know how siri loves to make people wrong

not to forget that apple thingy is on the 8th of june and rumor is thats when iphone app will be showcased. june 8th is not that far off."

Hey, well hell if we are going to pat ourselves on the back!!! I said this a while ago:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by relmor2003
    John, what do you think the low will be? Do you have buys in?

relmar, you know I dont like to give PPS especially with SIRIXM, but I said before I think between .30 and .35 but that is a longer term estimate not a day one. I just think we are going to have some more bad news with 2nd quarter subs and MSM will use that to push the PPS down. I also said if it ever gets to .47 (Iphone news) I would sell some because when those 2nd quarter numbers come out about the subs that will drive it down again. the only saving grace will be if they can get to FCF positive which might be possible. Now if that happens I dont care if they lose another 300,000 subs that will push the PPS up. That was what everyone was waiting for before and in my minds eye what matters now more then a few bad sub quarters. I like the fact as you know that the OEM are not putting out as many cars that is a big hit in subsidies cost to the bottom line. Look at it this way it already has cost them 1 BILLION at least JUST (not getting into the chipset cost) in subsidies on deactivated radios. Just think if they had just half of that amount back now.

Shipping stocks I like more I think DSX gos higher. They took a hit because of a share offering but the last time they did that the stock came back strong because it was done to buy more ships. I think something like that is what they are doing it again for.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by john; 05-13-2009 at 10:54 AM.

P.S. I am not talking about SIRIXM, did you see DSX lately, holy crap, you can read that one like a book. God help me I love that stock, (for now anyway).

Enthusiast
    05-30-2009, 05:59 AM #199
    SAT-LOA-20090217-00025 E S2786
    Launch and Operating Authority
    Date Filed: 02/17/2009 16:31:29:37600
    XM Radio Inc.
    On February 17, 2009, XM Radio Inc. filed a request for authority to launch and operate a new Satellite Digital Audio Radio Service (SDARS)
    space station, designated as XM-5, at the 85.2° W.L. orbital location for use as an in-orbit spare for both the Sirius Radio Inc. (2320-2332.5 MHz)
    and XM Radio Inc. (2332.5-2345 MHz) SDARS systems. The XM-5 satellite will receive feeder link transmissions in the 7050.5-7072.5 MHz
    band.

Guru
    05-30-2009, 09:36 AM #200

Good article

This guy seems to be alright..

http://venturebeat.com/2009/05/27/ca...ave-sirius-xm/

No ads is a big part of satellite radio’s appeal. It’s hard to describe the effect in words. But after a few months of XM listening, I found myself shaking my impotent freelance-writer’s fist at the annoying ads on some Internet stations. No matter how good the music, the enhanced-audio voices hawking discount mattresses and freedom from credit card debt made it impossible to work.

Adding my favorite few XM channels to my iPhone may be worth three bucks a month, but to win over new $12.95 subscribers Sirius XM should offer a free 90-day trial of the fully-featured app. Then cut them off. They’ll be back.
    Lends support to offering a free 3 month trial with the iphone app...im leaning more towards that lately...give 'em the bait, hook 'em, real 'em in, gut 'em, eat 'em, drop 'em in the toilet, flush 'em to the water treatment plant and then drink them out of the faucet 3 months later..

sorry got outa control there...bait 'em and hook em should be good enough.
    Last edited by imromo24; 05-30-2009 at 09:39 AM.