Page 1 of 2 12
    Head Honcho
    05-27-2009, 03:34 PM #1

Sirius XM highlights importance of Social Media

I pointed out the importance of social media to growth of Sirius XM as far back as 12 months ago and I was happy to see today that the company actually made this a talking point in their annual stockholder meeting. For those who missed it, see attached, this slide was actually placed and talked about even before the iPhone.

I am wondering what the rest of you guys think since, when I previously criticized corporate for this months ago, I was totally chastised. What do you guys think now that the company is actually covering the importance of social media?

My thought all along was, it doesn't matter if you like twitter or not, you ride each and every free wave you can. Now look at twitters recent traffic levels; http://alexa.com/siteinfo/twitter.com 47th most popular site on the net. Look back when I first mentioned the importance and the recent explosive growth http://siteanalytics.compete.com/twitter.com/ its staggering.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Mentor
    05-27-2009, 05:06 PM #2
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    I pointed out the importance of social media to growth of Sirius XM as far back as 12 months ago and I was happy to see today that the company actually made this a talking point in their annual stockholder meeting. For those who missed it, see attached, this slide was actually placed and talked about even before the iPhone.

I am wondering what the rest of you guys think since, when I previously criticized corporate for this months ago, I was totally chastised. What do you guys think now that the company is actually covering the importance of social media?

Charles . . I for one applaud you for bringing much-needed attention to this issue . . . I hope you will continue to monitor the company's progress in tranforming mere words/slides into deeds . . . in spite of the many apologists who chastise you for offering an objective, well-supported, opinion.

Julie posed a question earlier this week as to whether or not management pays any attention to what is posted here . . . Julie, it looks like Mel took the words right out of Charles' mouth . . . but management must understand that it will take much more than lip service going forward.

Guru
    05-27-2009, 05:35 PM #3
    Yes, that was my first thought when i saw the slide.

On the other hand, I think in defense most of us thought SXM would get there in due time and preferred to consider your comments as bashing rather than supportive....nonetheless, put a "W" in your win column.

Head Honcho
    05-27-2009, 05:51 PM #4
    I am sure a lot of people thought a lot different things romo. There were many who said the whole notion was rubbish.

That being said, I am looking for actual conversation about the topic and not the "W". Although, I will take it. I was hoping that this thread would spur more ideas and lead some people to talk about how they are now adopting some of these new medias or anything along those lines.

Some think that I take a lot of flack but, honestly that is not the case, .0001% of the people who come here chose to argue with me while thousands just keep coming back day after day silently enjoying the website.

Sometimes we forget that the people who frequent this forum are the major minority. I wish I could get more to comment (and I do try) but, that is just the nature of the beast. I once read an in depth report that talked about peoples willingness to complain and when I ran a customer review website for 5 years it turned out to be all too true. 95% of the comments which we left were in fact negative. People who are unhappy (for whatever reason) are 95% more apt to take the time to complain, while happy people just go about their day. Think about how many times we have all bitched about a company and then think about how great a company has to be for us to take the time to say just how great they are.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Guru
    05-27-2009, 06:02 PM #5
    i don't know if i ever mentioned it in any of the common threads but I would listen to DJ Celo on Hip hop nation and chat with him on "AIM" it was pretty badass and really made the show personalized.

The DJ said he was currently AIMing 70 people at the time.

This will be very beneficial. somewhat like calling in a request to your favorite FM station. but instead there will be a whole community talking during the shows...or already is i guess?

oh, on shade 45 pretty much all of the DJ's twitter, they mention it alot. DJ Kay Slay calls "that twitter is bullshit' (being gangsta of course) but anyway, someone is twittering during the show and then he pauses and says "what the F#@! did you just say...and then goes and reads the computer screen and makes fun of the guy who's typing"
    Last edited by imromo24; 05-27-2009 at 06:07 PM.

Guru
    05-27-2009, 06:05 PM #6
    On my XMP3 the AIM and Twitter information for the DJ scrolls on the screen..see the picture i took
    Attached Images Attached Images

Enthusiast
    05-28-2009, 09:18 AM #7
    Quote Originally Posted by imromo24 View Post
    Yes, that was my first thought when i saw the slide.

On the other hand, I think in defense most of us thought SXM would get there in due time and preferred to consider your comments as bashing rather than supportive....nonetheless, put a "W" in your win column.
    man after following this sector from 2003. it sure looks like the "due time" past a couple of years back. look when they first made a effort to use utube 2005 this was done now to respond to the failure of the economy and auto sector. does that show good management skills or judgement not to mention fudicary duties to the company and shareholders. this type of push comes with a very low need for any real cash investment.

taking this action now indicates to me they should have acted long ago and failed to.

Mel's trying to paint this pig nice and pretty, If i dint know better. i would swear old slippery Joe Clayton was behind that slide.

Im not too impressed by the slide show as much of the data is real subjective imho. im trying to be honest and fair here..........I made nice money off this company

Mentor
    05-28-2009, 08:34 PM #8
    Quote Originally Posted by tim wallick View Post
    following this sector from 2003. Mel's trying to paint this pig nice and pretty, If i dint know better. i would swear old slippery Joe Clayton was behind that slide.

Hmmmm. Very interesting perspective Tim. I have been in this equity since 2004 . . . I remember all too well the many promises made, both kept and unkept . . .

Here's something Joe Clayton said back in 2006 (direct quote):

But as Clayton knows from being with Sirius, technology isn’t everything. “You can always catch up with technology,” he says. “The key is having the best content. If you have that, you win.”

I am wondering what Charles and others think about that philosophy?

Couldn't deficient technology stifle superior content??

How does the marketplace interpret superior content when the content suffers limited distribution?

Is Howard Stern's content value better now or better when heard by a wider audience?

The content has to be heard by the widest possible audience to win.

What good is having superior content if the target audience can't hear it. The target audience of course gets to decide what is "superior content," not slippery old Joe Clayton.

In the land of the blind . . . the one-eyed men are kings.
    Last edited by Sirius Roadkill; 05-28-2009 at 08:40 PM.

Head Honcho
    05-28-2009, 11:05 PM #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Roadkill View Post

But as Clayton knows from being with Sirius, technology isn’t everything. “You can always catch up with technology,” he says. “The key is having the best content. If you have that, you win.”

I am wondering what Charles and others think about that philosophy?
    I have said all along that this company is about its content* and not its delivery methods. I would rather see them dump the "satellite radio" portion of their name and just simply call themselves Sirius XM.

That being said, if you cant deliver your content where everyone wants it... what good is it? They should be jamming this content into anyplace where someone wants to listen. They have the content, they have had the content, now I want it delivered to me in as many ways as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Roadkill View Post
    Couldn't deficient technology stifle superior content??

How does the marketplace interpret superior content when the content suffers limited distribution?
    Sounds like we are on the same page. I typed the above before addressing the rest of your comments.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Enthusiast
    05-29-2009, 03:12 AM #10

content is king when available where wanted

I'm in agreement,

the comment from Joe. imho was stated incorrectly for building a broad-based sub platform in the digital broadcasting sector, you need to reach the consumer where they listen or service advertisers when and where they need.

I'm sorry to say i see little publicly, that supports a real effort toward positive change in concept from within the confines of management row.

I suspect we get some important related news from Detroit telematics show which takes place June 2-3 the news will be focused on Hughes. and a couple of their partners, which are deep into enabling content via apps on cell networks and even content distribution and other services for oems.

I could not find any current information that directly mentions sxm at one point during 2007 Leon black made some comments in which he said they hoped to include embedded Sirius and maybe xm.

Page 1 of 2 12