Page 4 of 15 ... 2345614 ...
    Enthusiast
    11-09-2008, 09:01 PM #31
    Demian, I hope your stock losses are unrealized. I'm down almost 90% myself. What gets me through is the strong belief that eventually we will look back, and this current nightmare will be a distant memory. I really think there is going to be a happy ending here. Unfortunately the trick to this company is that there is no trick. It will be successful only after hard work, hard choices, and patience.

I have a feeling the tone on these forums will be noticeably more positive a year or two from now. Time will tell.

Keep up your hard work, but give yourself some much deserved rest from time to time.

Mentor
    11-09-2008, 09:23 PM #32
    Quote Originally Posted by spanyo View Post
    Demian, I hope your stock losses are unrealized.
    I realize the losses whenever I log into my brokerage account and see my dwindling account value.....

Mentor
    11-09-2008, 09:43 PM #33
    Another subscriber that was subscribing for POTUS.....

http://technologizer.com/2008/11/08/...tworks-or-one/

"I’ve been a happy XM subscriber for years. But my iPhone 3G is such a slick source of streaming music–thanks to apps such as Pandora and Tuner–that I keep flirting with canceling my XM subscription and simply pumping the iPhone’s audio through my car stereo. It’s mostly XM’s......news stations such as POTUS which have kept me on board."

Mentor
    11-10-2008, 01:57 AM #34
    It looks like Sirius management has gotten to Scott Walterman somehow. He has removed all of the information about his and the rest of the POTUS staff firings from his website - that I had copied and pasted at the beginning of this thread. I wonder what the reason is? Did Sirius management threaten him for disclosing that information? Was he not suppose to disclose that information? Did they pay him off to take that info down? Are they considering keeping him? Did enough people email and complain about his and all of the POTUS staff firings? Who knows?

http://scottwalterman.com

Mentor
    11-10-2008, 11:31 AM #35
    Now Sirius management is pissing off the truckers by removing programming for truckers...

http://www.mountainhomenews.com/blogs/1266/entry/22021/

Stupidity kicked my butt and it hurt bad
    Posted Monday, November 10, 2008, at 4:31 AM

".......the vast majority of the overnight trucker style radio networks and shows pretty much died. Its worse now that both XM and Sirius merged."

Mentor
    11-10-2008, 02:50 PM #36
    How's the Sirius management doing with Sirius/XM's street cred? Not good...

Now they have got the punks out there slamming satellite radio. That's not good for grassroots marketing and making satellite radio cool. Alienate all of the punks, the truckers, and the modern/fusion/acid jazz crowd? These are the wrong people to piss off and they are hard to win back once you lose them. Not good for your street cred and image - and it's hard to get your street cred back once you lose it! Take a page from Apple and learn how to get some ****ing street cred!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu5Z4yCaRSc

Comments

ladyrebelgrrl
    Cancel your subscriptions XM officially sucks.
    RIP-FUNGUS 53

deluxehandyman
    punk is dead thanks xm now go **** off and die

ZogxUNB0UNDx
    it got replaced with a station that plays literally nothing but ac/dc at all times. what a load of shit.

se712808
    Hell ****in yes, great job! I'm on my 3 month freebie (suckin w/o fungus) xm gave me when I said I wanted to cancel all 3 of my xm accounts when I found out fungus was gone. If fungus ain't back, in Jan as promised, no mo xm fo me
    Last edited by Demian; 11-10-2008 at 03:02 PM.

Mentor
    11-10-2008, 07:54 PM #37
    In the CC Mel was saying how great and better the new channel lineup was going to be for it's subscribers....

Not if your favorite channels are Beyond Jazz, Fungus, POTUS, and others that they are cutting or gutting. Does management really think that people wanting to tune into a 24 hour AC/DC channel are going to make up for all of the subscribers that they will lose by axing whole genres of music? Does management care about losing these people to Slacker and internet radio?

Rule #1 in a subscription business, and in this present economy, is to keep the subscribers you have! Your more likely to get new subscribers by focusing on keeping the ones you have happy. Now is not the time to be risking losing the subscribers you have...

This is a major corporate blunder......
    Last edited by Demian; 11-10-2008 at 08:04 PM.

Mentor
    11-11-2008, 02:32 PM #38
    Here is the new XM program list.......
    I don't see Beyond Jazz, Fungus, or Fine Tuning listed...

Mentor
    11-11-2008, 04:53 PM #39
    From my understanding, XM mostly used their online platform to gauge what people were listening to. This would not be accurate as many that would listen to Beyond Jazz, including me, would not be listening to it online because of the crummy compression bit rate. I think it's a big mistake for management to get rid of genre channels that are more likely to have listeners that only subscribe for that channel/genre alone - like Fungus and Beyond Jazz.

Are there really that many people subscribing just for the AC/DC channel or Hair Nation - the 80's hair band channel? How many people would cancel if they got rid of just one single artist channel, or just one country or classic rock channel - compared to how many people would cancel if they got rid of the whole genre of music that those people subscribed for in the first place?

It's not just how many listeners the channel has - it's how many of those listeners would cancel if that programming was taken away. This is an important distinction.

Reading the posts around the internet, it's obvious that many of the listeners of Beyond Jazz and Fungus would fall into the category of being more likely to cancel - not to mention the loss of street cred to Sirius/XM by alienating these important influential demographics in music circles which are so important to grassroots marketing initiatives...
    Last edited by Demian; 11-11-2008 at 04:56 PM.

11-11-2008, 06:36 PM #40
    I agree with Spanyo on this one.

In a situation like this, no matter what is getting the ax, it's always going to be someone's favorite programming, and they are going to be pissed off, and they are going to be vocal about it. As a consumer it is their right and their choice to cancel their subscription.

Satellite radio burst onto the scene and underwent rapid growth on the premise of exclusivity, whether it be programmers, or niche genres. However, its not hard to see looking at subscriber additions that the rate of adoption has slowed dramatically. For all intents and purposes, they have exhausted that consumer base, and it's pretty evident that these adoption rates simply could not sustain the industry as it was currently structured. If your house is on fire and you are crawling out at a snails pace instead of sprinting, don't be suprised when your pants catch fire.

The merger and cost cutting will certainly help, but fundamental changes have to occur in the way that satellite radio adds value to consumers, so that they can attract a larger consumer base. So they are going through growing pains right now. As they work through the merger consolidation, and continue integration in the coming years, they have to find a way to reach out to new consumers. Yes, getting in dashboard deals is certainly half the battle, but the other half is offering something compelling that is going to make the largest amount of people stick around and want to pay for it.

Until the company can get their legs under the feet, and get out of the red, they may from time to time need to abandon a certain aspect of their business that appeals to the current subscriber base. I do not see niche channels disappearing completely, they have ample programming space, and without a doubt offering different programming from the same crap we hear on FM is "value added". But from a business perspective, as nice as niche channels are for the punk fans, if its not paying the bills, its shouldn't priority one. And this doesn't all point to the terrestrialization of satellite radio. But IMO you are going to catch more subscribers by differentiating yourself through deeper playlists and special programming relating to the more POPULAR musical genres.

Facts are facts, less people listen to punk music than rock. And while I don't doubt that Beyond Jazz has a appreciative fan base, as hard as this might be to believe, there are other people who dont' care for it, or are indifferent between it and the other Jazz alternatives.

You simply can't please everyone. If two thousand punks get fed up with "the man" and cancel their subscription, but in their place five thousand people find the new programming or service offered worthwhile, its simple math.

Being "cool" on the street doesn't mean a thing when you can't sustain a business. And I don't believe for a second that a handful of rapid punk fans are going to give birth to a grass roots campaign that will topple a 20 million subscriber-base business.

Not to harp on the punk music fan base, but I think you get what I'm trying to say.

Despite what the stock price may lead you to believe, the company is not run by yokels. Sirius XM is in business to make money, not to satisfy every music listener in the United States. The fact is, satellite radio's offerings aren't for everyone, and as it continues to change it might alienate some previous subscribers while at the same time reaching out to some new ones. We're up to our ears in audio entertainment alternatives, the world will continue to turn, I promise.

I was preparing to rant briefly about the idea of a dedicated artist channel (AC/DC) and how useless it is, but then I realized it's pretty cool when its a band you like. Like I said, can't please everybody.
    Last edited by zcurzan; 11-11-2008 at 07:08 PM.

Page 4 of 15 ... 2345614 ...