Page 9 of 12 ... 7891011 ...
    Mentor
    10-16-2008, 01:52 PM #81
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...101503119.html

Sirius XM Radio Lays Off 50 Including DJs, Employees Say

By Mike Musgrove
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, October 16, 2008; Page D04
    Sirius XM Radio laid off at least 50 workers yesterday, including on- and off-air talent at channels with formats ranging from oldies to modern rock, according to employees and a source with direct knowledge of the cutbacks.

The satellite radio company's New York offices did not return phone calls or e-mails yesterday seeking comment on the matter. But a source, who was not authorized to speak publicly about the staffing situation, confirmed that the company was initiating layoffs.

Staff reductions had been rumored since Sirius acquired District-based XM this summer in a deal valued at $3.3 billion. Chief executive Mel Karmazin told investors and analysts last month that the company will lose about $350 million this year on revenue of $2.4 billion.

XM DJ Kandy Klutch said talk of pending layoffs at the company had been stress-inducing in recent months.

"It's not a surprise at all," she said. "It's actually a relief." Klutch, who was a DJ on XM's '80s channel, had worked at XM since 2001.

But Washington-based disc jockey Matt Baldassarri, who until last night hosted a show called "Night Prowl" on which he played music from the '50s, said he was shocked when he found out he'd lost his job.

Baldassarri had got married a week and a half ago and just returned from his honeymoon.

"This is probably going to be one of the hardest things I have ever had to do," said Baldassarri, reached yesterday afternoon before his final show. "It's devastating on several levels. I'm riding so high on the anxiety of doing my last show that it hasn't sunk in yet."

Baldassarri said he hopes to find another job as a DJ in another major market, "but jobs these days for a disc jockey like me are pretty rare -- that's what made XM so special."

At a Web site for XM alternative music station XMU, the station's DJs offered a brief, cryptic goodbye. "[We] have enjoyed the years of love, music, fun and passion we have exchanged with our friends in music," said a message posted on the site. "It's been more than a pleasure."

Analysts said yesterday that layoffs were to be expected as the merged companies consolidated their staff.

"It shouldn't be any surprise that some people will be relieved of their duties as a result of the merger," said April Horace, a radio industry analyst with Janco Partners. "This is part of the overall cost synergy that Mel [Karmazin] has talked about."

The company's shares have been steadily declining since before the market's recent troubles. A year ago, shares were trading at almost $4. Yesterday, shares closed at 42 cents after starting the day at 49 cents.

Mentor
    10-16-2008, 02:56 PM #82
    The Motley Fool finally posts some positive analysis on SIRI. I wonder if they were influenced by all of my negative comments under their articles... I left a positive comment for them this time...

http://www.fool.com/investing/high-g...il-prices.aspx

"....Sirius XM is another likely winner. What's been holding the company back lately? Since it hasn't been a force at the retail level for a couple of years now, the radio platform's growth has come mostly from new car purchases. Lower oil prices won't necessarily convince a hybrid owner to trade the Prius in for an Escalade, but it should help reverse the trend of drivers scaling back the time they spend on the road. That's just what Sirius XM needs. With commuters spending more time on driving, paying roughly $13 a month for premium satellite radio is easier to justify. Heck, the savings on a single fill-up these days can more than pay for a month of XM or Sirius...."

On October 16, 2008, at 2:49 PM, DemianBohemian wrote:

Thanks for pointing a real positive for SIRI. Lower gas prices is great for car sales and great for SIRI as more cars get sold and people spend more time on the road. A 90% decline in the share price in the last year puts SIRI in the screaming buy category. Way oversold here, as they are just about to be cash flow positive and realize huge savings from the merger.

Mentor
    10-16-2008, 03:02 PM #83
    An hour left to go....

SIRI trading down about 2 cents with the market in the green.

Will they screw around with it into the close again? Will they let it run without it testing it's .36 low again? Will it close flat? Who knows?

Mentor
    10-16-2008, 03:32 PM #84
    Half in hour to go.....

SIRI trading down about 2 cents with the market in rally mode.....this sucks!

DOW up almost 300! Can SIRI ever catch a break?

The close will be interesting...

Mentor
    10-16-2008, 04:03 PM #85
    Dow closed up almost 400 points....

They wacked SIRI down into the close again to close @ .39 after touching .38

This stock is being manipulated.......

Mentor
    10-16-2008, 04:23 PM #86
    Over 10 million shares traded in AH already........WTF?

Mentor
    10-16-2008, 05:37 PM #87
    =DJ Stock Rating Reiterations Closing Update: SIRI

Rating reiterations for October 16 from Briefing.com:

Company Ticker Brokerage Firm Rating Change

Sirius XM Radio SIRI Stanford Research Hold

Ê (END) Dow Jones NewswiresÊ October 16, 2008 16:18 ET (20:18 GMT)Ê Copyright (c) 2008 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.- - 04 18 PM EDT 10-16-08

10-16-2008, 05:42 PM #88
    buy after the delist and bad Q3 CC.... May now dip as low as .20-25

Mentor
    10-16-2008, 06:12 PM #89
    Buy before the better than expected Q3 numbers and the financing and payment of the '09 debt....

SIRI down 90% in 52 weeks.......way oversold with the worst priced in.

Enthusiast
    10-16-2008, 07:20 PM #90
    Sorry for the double post (I posted a topic on this), but I really need an unemotional opinion on what this SIRUSXM Form Pre-14a document is really saying. Page 4 specifically. Doesn't look good.

http://files.shareholder.com/downloa...937/filing.pdf

Page 9 of 12 ... 7891011 ...