04-21-2023, 10:05 PM #1

Question SiriusXM Receiver for my DIY Car Computer

Hello All,

I am in the middle of a project to create a car computer to give my wife and I features while we travel, and we travel a lot. The new car computer is going to be in a overlay console that will fit over my existing middle console in my Kia Sorento 2018. Initially, I designed the console to leave an open space for my existing factory car stereo, but for only one reason. We subscribe to and enjoy SiriusXM using it.

I would LOVE to cover that factory car stereo up with a 10" LCD screen in the new console overlay, but to do that, I need to be able to receive (and control) my SiriusXM features to feed to my car computer. Analog audio signals are ok, or even something digital. And I need to be able to change the channels, get metadata so my car computer can display the info. As I said, I am a subscriber and I am not trying to get it for free.

Are there modules/tuners (headless) that can interact with an embedded system and receive a legitimately paid for SiriusXM subscription service? This would solve a lot of issues for me.

Thing is, I want this as something I can just fit on my console and remove without being invasive to the console. Resale value of Kia Sorento vehicles remains high. I want to preserve it's pristine original state. But we want 4-side camera dvr of our travels, customizable mapping, cellular supported WiFi hot spot without using our phones, etc. I can do all that and already half-way through the design and software.

Any suggestions and help and advice would be very much appreciated! I sincerely thank you for your time!!

02-10-2024, 06:58 PM #2
    I know this is an old post, but I wanted to chime in with my findings. I would highly suggest an actual satellite XM radio and satellite GPS receiver while traveling cross country. My wife and I have taken several road trips, and have ran into cellular dead zones for miles and miles where a car WIFI hotspot and even our phones were useless to us. As far as displaying "metadata", the Onyx plus XM receiver displays album art and all song info. It's easily removable from its dock so you could plug it into another car or home dock. It uses an aux input to your stereo, or FM modulator connected to your stereo FM antenna. In areas where you have good cellular reception, I would recommend using an "Alexa auto" device which works great with the SiriusXM app and Bluetooth from your phone to the car stereo. It's much safer to use voice commands as opposed to fumbling around with a touch screen while you're driving at 80 MPH down the highway.
    Last edited by Ken; 02-10-2024 at 07:01 PM.

03-28-2024, 05:02 PM #3
    Podofo and Camecho have these add on to your existing radio Android boxes they call " wireless car radios" on amazon .You could use one of these and have all the channels via the Siriusxm app.And have voice control via android.