Page 1 of 2 12
    09-18-2018, 08:34 PM #1

Auto to home

I have a Sirius radio receiver in my car that is connected to the car radio. It operates as it should through my cars radio. My question is can I somehow install this same unit to work in my workshop! I spend more time their than in my car since retiring. I was thinking I may have to get a car radio with an antenae hooked to it, connected to a 12 volt battery source for power. But seems like a lot of steps and purchases to make this happen. Is there a way to hook this Sirius radio up to an in home radio somehow? Thanks

Legend
    09-18-2018, 10:35 PM #2
    As the birds said when they landed in the farmer's newly plowed field, "Hey, seed!" Welcome to Sirius Buzz, Hayseed. You get one of my notoriously bad puns but you also get an answer to your question. If you have a "Dock & Play" radio such as Edge, Onyx, Stratus 6 or 7 or Starmate 8, you can purchase a home docking kit that will allow you to play your radio on any stereo system with an auxiliary input:

https://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/s...ome-kit-suph1/

If you want an easier (albeit costlier) solution, I recommend SiriusXM's portable speaker dock, which runs on batteries or electricity:

https://shop.siriusxm.com/siriusxm-p...-dock-sd2.html

09-19-2018, 01:14 AM #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rewind View Post
    As the birds said when they landed in the farmer's newly plowed field, "Hey, seed!" Welcome to Sirius Buzz, Hayseed. You get one of my notoriously bad puns but you also get an answer to your question. If you have a "Dock & Play" radio such as Edge, Onyx, Stratus 6 or 7 or Starmate 8, you can purchase a home docking kit that will allow you to play your radio on any stereo system with an auxiliary input:

https://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/s...ome-kit-suph1/

If you want an easier (albeit costlier) solution, I recommend SiriusXM's portable speaker dock, which runs on batteries or electricity:

https://shop.siriusxm.com/siriusxm-p...-dock-sd2.html
    I read in the literature of the docking kit, where it said, you could use any (new) docking radio. My Sirius receiver I use to sync to my car radio, is very old maybe 8 years. Are these docking radios all the same and compatible with the item in your link?

Legend
    09-19-2018, 01:53 AM #4
    Which receiver do you have? Older models such as Sportster, Delphi Roady, Delphi SkyFi, XACT XTR1 and Audiovox Xpress probably would not be compatible with the newer cradles -- but, hey, there's always eBay!

Charles LaRocca is the administrator here and he could probably give you more information. If he doesn't respond to this thread, you can private-message him (SiriusBuzz) at

http://siriusbuzz.com/forum/showgroups.php

09-19-2018, 11:04 PM #5

Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Rewind View Post
    Which receiver do you have? Older models such as Sportster, Delphi Roady, Delphi SkyFi, XACT XTR1 and Audiovox Xpress probably would not be compatible with the newer cradles -- but, hey, there's always eBay!

Charles LaRocca is the administrator here and he could probably give you more information. If he doesn't respond to this thread, you can private-message him (SiriusBuzz) at

http://siriusbuzz.com/forum/showgroups.php
    On the back it says Onyx, and then gives a model number. Is this enough info for you to tell me of its compatibility, to the docking thing I need to buy? And when you say hey there is always ebay, what does this imply? That can get a different docking receiver radio, or a different what? If onyx is compatible, with the link items you posted can you maybe suggest also a nice radio that has the proper input needed for hooking up to the docking station or whatever! I can't even ask a proper question because I don't know what the names are of the different things needed, pretty sad I know, but am older generation, and this is the only way I have to learn. Kids and grandkids all live away in other states. I will tell you what I am trying to do. I want this radio with Sirius connection to be put on the deck of our new AG pool. Radio stations here in this rural WV city, are piss pour at best. And radio stations I can pick up great over a car radio, don't seem to come through to good on home radios that don't seem to have an antenna to bring them in. So Sirius is what I need to put out there. Even though their radio announcers are now starting to ramble on talking as if this weren't a paid for radio program, it is still better than regular radio.
    Last edited by Hayseed; 09-19-2018 at 11:13 PM.

Legend
    09-20-2018, 12:43 AM #6
    I thought West Virginia was "almost heaven." That's what John Denver sang and I don't think he would lie about a thing like that. Anyway, yes, the XM Onyx and the Sirius Stratus 6 were introduced in August 2009. The Onyx is compatible with the aforementioned home docking kit and the portable speaker dock. (The name is actually "onyX" but I prefer a more traditional spelling.)

I mentioned eBay as a source for docking units for older radios but you don't need eBay now -- unless you want to get a copy of that John Denver record.

Legend
    09-20-2018, 12:53 AM #7
    I live near Los Angeles. Many years ago I had an old car with an old radio with a dial I could turn -- no pushbuttons. On one cloudy night as I drove home from work, I tuned to 1170, thinking I might be able to hear KCBQ from San Diego. I was surprised to hear a country song. I was really surprised when the DJ came on and gave the call letters. I was getting WWVA from Wheeling, West Virginia, 2,100 miles away! That night's specific atmospheric conditions never reoccurred. I never again was able to hear WWVA.

09-20-2018, 08:54 PM #8
    Almost heaven WV, was originally a song written about CO. He was convinced to change it, sighting that he already had so many songs written for his home state. That radio transmission you heard could only happen on a flat earth, you know. Thanks for your help with my questions, I have to buy a Sirius docking thingie now.

Legend
    09-20-2018, 10:25 PM #9
    Take Me Home, Country Roads was not written about Colorado -- although the state's four-syllable name would have fit. Read on:

Take Me Home, Country Roads: The story behind West Virginia's state song
    Kristina Gaddy, Culture Trip, Mar 20 2018

John Denver’s Take Me Home, Country Roads is one of West Virginia’s four official state songs but West Virginia isn’t John Denver’s home and his co-writer had never even been to the state before he wrote it. Here’s how this sometimes loved, sometimes mocked song became an icon of the Mountain State.

In late 1970, songwriters Bill Danoff and his wife Taffy Nivert had been working on a ballad about winding roads that they’d thought up while on a trip through western Maryland. The only problem was that the three syllables of Maryland didn’t fit the meter of the song. Danoff then thought maybe four-syllable Massachusetts would work but West Virginia would be even better. It didn’t matter that he’d never been to the state; he assumed they had beautiful mountains and winding roads too (which they do).

When Danoff and Nivert shared the song with country musician John Denver in the winter of 1970, he loved it. Although Denver was a lover of Colorado (and why his stage name was Denver instead of his given name Deutschendorf), the romance of the West Virginia hills must have been enough to make him want to record the song. Denver reworked some of the lyrics and put it out as the A-side of a 45 in 1971.

West Virginia also has three other state songs (The West Virginia Hills, This is My West Virginia and West Virginia, My Home Sweet Home) but a celebrity factor and sheer popularity made Take Me Home, Country Roads an unofficial state song before it received the official honor in 2014.

https://theculturetrip.com/north-ame...as-state-song/

And Bill Danoff used to listen to WWVA from his home in Massachusetts. That "flat earth" again.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2409

And here, for your amazement and amusement, is West Virginia Man by David Allan Coe from 1978:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccb2UciluPU

09-21-2018, 11:47 PM #10
    The little town I live in (6000 plus) is home town of person who wrote peter cottontail, and frosty the snowman

Page 1 of 2 12