Page 1 of 2 12
    08-28-2014, 04:22 PM #1

Ugly thing on my dash???

I am here because XMFan,com has such an onerous registration procedure I couldnt get registered.

I have one question.

Is there a way that I can install a Sirius radio in my car so that I dont have to have an ugly display stuck on my dash?

Head Honcho
    08-28-2014, 05:08 PM #2
    Are you looking for a factory option? Does your model car offer a factory option? If so, you could always have the dealer install it new or buy it used and install it yourself.

Or are you asking if there is someplace you can mount your plug and play so it isn't stuck in the middle of your dash? if so, yes, you can place it anywhere in reach of your hand or remote. It really depends on your cars interior but, I mounted mine behind the stick on my jeep -- cmpletely unseen and out of the way.

see here; http://siriusbuzz.com/forum/showthre...t=jeep+install
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

08-28-2014, 07:03 PM #3
    My car is a 2007 Lincoln Towncar. It could have been had in 2008 with an Sirius radio, but I have already replaced my audio system with a Chinese GPS/Radio/Telephone/Bluetooth/etc. all in one 2DIN unit. So replacing it with a 2008 factory unit leaves me without the computer. Unfortunately the radio in that Chinese unit really sucks. Audio is ok, but tuning is flakey. You can be driving down the road and it will arbitrarily switch stations. Not fun. So I am thinking I would like a Sirius unit so I had reliable radio on the road. But every system I saw had an ugly black box that was sitting on the dash or stuck to the front of it with velcro. I want something that looks factory or is out of sight. Does it use the radio and amplifier in my car to produce the sound, I assume it does so I will have to plug it into the back of my current radio,GPS/etc.

Head Honcho
    08-29-2014, 04:15 PM #4
    Quote Originally Posted by jimisbell View Post
    My car is a 2007 Lincoln Towncar. It could have been had in 2008 with an Sirius radio, but I have already replaced my audio system with a Chinese GPS/Radio/Telephone/Bluetooth/etc. all in one 2DIN unit.
    Is your Chinese unit Sirius or XM capable?

I want something that looks factory or is out of sight. Does it use the radio and amplifier in my car to produce the sound,
    Yes.

I assume it does so I will have to plug it into the back of my current radio,GPS/etc.
    If your radio is Sirius XM ready, you can plug a factory brain into the back of it and put the brain in your trunk completely out of sight.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

08-29-2014, 06:55 PM #5
    NO. That is why I am here.

Head Honcho
    08-30-2014, 02:08 PM #6
    Replace your head unit with one that is Sirius XM ready OR put the ugly plug and play box somewhere inside your car. There isn't a third choice I know about.

Again, it doesn't have to be on your dash. Get creative. Mount it low and out of sight. I don't know what the inside of your specific make and model looks like but, I'm sure there is somewhere to hide it or at least minimize the ugliness.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

08-30-2014, 03:12 PM #7
    If I replace the current center dash unit, I remove the entire computer system, TV, GPS, Telephone, Blue tooth etc. etc. Would rather do without the XM. I was hoping that I could place a module behind the dash out of sight with a remote that I could keep in the console like my current computer works. If I could get a module that was Blue Tooth compatible it could display on the 3x7 display in the dash. I am surprised none exist.

Head Honcho
    08-30-2014, 09:32 PM #8
    I was hoping that I could place a module behind the dash out of sight with a remote that I could keep in the console like my current computer works.
    I believe all the remotes are infrared and need a direct line of sight.

Are you comfortable enough with installations to direct connect the power and run the antenna wire? Don't forget that power, antenna, and 3.5mm cable are required to direct connect a plug and play unit to a radio.

If I could get a module that was Blue Tooth compatible it could display on the 3x7 display in the dash. I am surprised none exist.
    Dont be surprised, their hardware doesn't have any bells or whistles.

You could get the SiriusXM app for your iPhone and sync that to your dash unit.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

08-30-2014, 09:57 PM #9
    Oh yes, I am comfortable with installations. I am a retired Electronics engineer, HAM, auto mechanic, (owned and serviced over 100 automobiles in my life).

But if the stuff doesnt exist, I cant install it.

I dont have an iPhone. I use Android because I despise the corporate driven computer systems like Apple and Microsoft. I am a Linux man. Is there an app for android?

08-30-2014, 11:20 PM #10
    I went to the apps store and found apps to get XM music from the internet and put it into my car radio. That is not an option. Internet is not reliable driving cross country.

I guess if you dont buy a car that is already outfited with XM then just forget it unless you want to garbage up the car dash.if this was a 20 year old pickup it wouldnt be a problem, but this is a Towncar that looks new. Not going to garbage it up.

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I will just put in a 10 disc CD player in the trunk.

Page 1 of 2 12