Page 3 of 4 1234
    Legend
    10-20-2018, 02:38 PM #21
    "Say, Ollie, this new motion picture about our 1953 British tour is really swell." "It soitenly is, Stanley!" Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly play Laurel and Hardy. The film will premiere October 21 at the BFI London Film Festival and open January 11 in theaters in the UK. Sony Pictures Classics will distribute the film in the US, where it will open December 28 in "limited release" -- in other words, in a very small number of theaters in a very small number of cities.

Stan & Ollie preview

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qw-xrSQ7gkk

https://stanandollie.co.uk

Legend
    12-25-2018, 09:26 PM #22
    Six performers from the 1964 Mary Poppins film appear in the new movie Mary Poppins Returns: Karen Dotrice, Dick Van Dyke.....and four dancing penguins. Lin-Manuel Miranda plays a lamplighter and Emily Blunt is Mary Poppins. The two stars don't have quite the same charm and chemistry that Van Dyke and Julie Andrews had in the original film -- but Miranda's Cockney accent isn't as exaggerated as Van Dyke's was. All the songs were written by Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman. The standouts are Nowhere To Go But Up, Trip A Little Light Fantastic and the tear-jerking ballad The Place Where Lost Things Go.

It's impossible to not compare the 2018 film with the 1964 film. If I judge Mary Poppins Returns on its own merits, I would rate it a 10. If I compare it to Mary Poppins, I would give it a 9. Look carefully at the scene of Michael Banks in his attic and you'll see the blocks that spelled the name of Mary Poppins in the original film. (Reproductions, actually; the original blocks are stored at the Disney archives in Burbank.)

Legend
    02-23-2019, 04:07 PM #23
    Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly were hilarious in Talladega Nights. They were only mildly amusing in Step Brothers. With Holmes & Watson, they have reached their nadir.

Razzie Awards: Holmes & Watson named worst movie of the year

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/awa...ear/ar-BBTYS9B

Legend
    02-25-2019, 02:30 AM #24
    I have an idea of the conversations that take place at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences: "The two Disney films nominated for an Academy Award have white people as their lead characters but the Spider-Man movie has a lead character who is Afro-Latino. To avoid being accused again of a 'lack of diversity,' we'd better give the Oscar to Spider-Man." "Okay, fine. Now what about the Oscar for best picture?" "Green Book, of course. Duh!"

Legend
    02-26-2019, 12:05 AM #25
    Ihlekisa kakhulu yaye krele kakhulu! (For those of you who don't speak Xhosa, that means "Very funny and very clever!")

The best joke at this year's Oscars was a hidden one
    Vulture, Feb 25 2019

Of all the jokes that happened during last night's Academy Awards, it turns out that the funniest one was hidden from most viewers — except those who speak the South African language Xhosa. While presenting Best Picture nominee Black Panther, Daily Show host and South Africa native Trevor said a phrase in Xhosa he said translates to "In times like this we are stronger when we fight together than when we try to fight apart."

Except that's not what the phrase translates to — not even close. As the BBC and several South African news outlets were quick to point out, what Noah actually said was, "White people don't know I'm lying." (A rep for Noah confirmed the translation.)

Considering this happened during the same ceremony that awarded the "We solved racism!" movie as Best Picture, Noah's sly joke — told only for the South African audience who would understand it — was a pretty genius move.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/osc...one/ar-BBU3X5y

Legend
    03-31-2019, 08:57 PM #26
    Mrs. Rewind and I saw the new Dumbo and we really liked it. As is common in a large number of Disney movies, the family's mother is deceased. Why does Disney hate mothers? This weekend, Dumbo is the number-one movie in North America, with an estimated $45 million in ticket sales. Analysts are calling the film a "disappointment" because they expected it would make $50 million. Dumbo took in $71 million in the rest of the world. I don't regard a three-day gross of $116 million to be disappointing. By the way, Disney spent $170,000,000 to make the film. Here is the Chinese movie poster. Dumbo is 小飞象 (Xiăo fēi xiàng, which literally means "little flying elephant.")
    Attached Images Attached Images

Legend
    04-28-2019, 03:08 PM #27
    "What's up, regular-sized man?" What's up is that apparently every one of those 50% of people not killed by Thanos is seeing the new Avengers movie this weekend.

Avengers: Endgame shatters records with $1.2 billion opening

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/28/media...ord/index.html

Legend
    05-05-2019, 08:19 PM #28
    Avengers: Endgame has become the fifth movie to gross $2 billion worldwide. The film cost $356 million to make and $150 million was spent on publicity and advertising. If Thanos gets a 15% cut of the profits, that would be.....umm.......

Avengers: Endgame passes $2 billion and Titanic at global box office

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...ice/ar-AAAW0t3

Legend
    06-22-2019, 07:39 PM #29
    Mrs. 98 and I just saw Toy Story 4. On a one-to-10 scale, I give it a 10. It was an emotionally gripping film on several levels and Forky turned out to be a much more entertaining, and much less annoying, character than we anticipated. If you see the movie, do not leave when the credits start. There are several more scenes and a hilarious little surprise at the very end.
    Attached Images Attached Images

06-23-2019, 03:08 PM #30
    We saw Toy Story 4 last night and it was much better than I thought it would be. The theater was selling special cups and popcorn tubs with the characters on them and the cup lids have little toys of the different characters. Forky seems to be the most popular one.

Page 3 of 4 1234