Page 2 of 2 12
    07-23-2008, 08:50 AM #11
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    zcurzan, I read someplace that when one of the companys of terrestrial radio had to pay for several hundred violations over the years, it was something like 100,000 dollars or some small amount. It was so long ago I cant remember how much, but it was pretty small. It might have even been at Sirius Buzz I read it. I think it was in a comments section on a article It might have even been Tyler who said it responding to someone I am not sure. I am pretty sure Tyler knows about it though.

The House on Wednesday overwhelmingly passed a bill that would raise the maximum fine for indecent broadcasts to $325,000 -- ten times more than the current limit of $32,500. The 379-35 vote follows passage of the same bill in the Senate and sends the measure to President Bush, who will likely sign it into law.
    http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-fc...,5564960.story

Now obviously those figures are regarding indecency, and they are a little dated. For enforcement issues I am getting numbers all over the board from Google, seems like its really subjective. So Tate is either going to try to lay it on thick to make a point, and to maybe win Adelstein, or maybe the real issue here is just resolving the disputes so they are no longer outstanding.

Cant' wait to find out.

07-23-2008, 09:41 AM #12
    All fines handed down by the EB of the FCC are deposited with the US Treasury Dept.

Indecency Fines used to by levied at $27,500 per incident, however Congress jacked that up to $325,000 per incident a couple years ago.

As for XM/Sirius -- I've speculated for some time that I wouldn't be surprised to see a consent decree with a fine come out, as part of the merger... A consent decree is a legal finding/agreement between the FCC and the company involved. It's an agreement reached, rather than going through the NAL process. The FCC outlines what rules were violated and the license holder outlines steps taken to fix and prevent the violation from reoccuring -- and if it does... then accountability. In most cases, in the consent decree, the license holder doesn't admit any guilt... but not always the case.

I see XM/Sirius copping to the repeater and FM transmitter issue -- and what they've done to fix the problem(s); but I don't see them copping to anything with the interopability issue. I do expect them to agree to make the "voluntary donation" to the US Treasury Dept. that typically goes along with these decrees. I can see each "donating" as much as the higher 6 figures to settle the matter.

-----
    Last edited by homer985; 07-23-2008 at 09:58 AM.

Guru
    07-23-2008, 01:19 PM #13
    zcurzan, on that Tate/HD issue, yes.

homer, I agree, I also think we are talking about small fines being paid considering what kind of deal we are talking about (the merger).

07-23-2008, 01:28 PM #14
    Quote Originally Posted by zcurzan View Post
    Please make all checks payable to "Chester Davenport". C-H-E .....
    Well played! The spelling it out part made me chuckle

07-23-2008, 02:06 PM #15

Post Merger XMSR Stock Price

Does anyone know how Sirius's stock price will be calculated when the 4.6 shares areexchanged for XM's shares?

Will they use the Sirius stock price at the time the FCC announces approval for the merger, will it be Sirius's stock price at the end of the day, or perhaps even Sirius's closing price from the preceeding day.

There could be a considerable difference in Sirius's stock price and, thus, what the final value will be for XM shares.

07-23-2008, 02:15 PM #16
    In the unlikely event that approval comes during the regular market, I believe the prices of both stocks would be halted.

07-23-2008, 02:24 PM #17
    FWIW, and this is from the Yahoo board so that is very little, someone said CNBC mentioned $20 million fine for enforcement issues. I'm not in front of a TV.

Guru
    07-23-2008, 02:46 PM #18
    "In the unlikely event that approval comes during the regular market, I believe the prices of both stocks would be halted."

zcurzan, I dought it, both will trade up to the transfer.

Guru
    07-23-2008, 02:48 PM #19
    Zurczan, Even though I would consider that alot for the violations that is still better then the HD issue. For this merger to be approved I would call that a drop in the bucked.

Page 2 of 2 12