Page 14 of 14 ... 4121314
    Guru
    09-21-2012, 12:37 PM #131
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories...367_Page2.html

Republicans accuse Obama of wanting to wage class warfare, but who is more class conscious than Romney? I can summarize what Romney said to a bunch of wealthy donors at a May fundraiser: America is divided between the deserving rich and bums who want a handout. Vote for me, and I’ll keep you rich. Thank you very much. Enjoy the chicken.
    And when David Corn of Mother Jones obtained the video of those remarks and Romney was forced to hold a news conference, how did he explain them? “That’s something which fundraising people who are parting with their monies are very interested in,” Romney said.
    No kidding. But no matter.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories...#ixzz26vZiueBE
    Oh really? He said that?

Legend
    09-22-2012, 03:23 PM #132
    Essentially what he said. And he got so much wrong. Do you recognize yourself in his arguments? Lol. They are so clearly wrong
    that many Republcians even quickly distanced themselves from the remarks. And if read his other remarks its clear what he really thinks about a whole range of subjects. In public he contradicts himself so many times daily that its hard to to know what his core beliefs are other than i want to be President. I personally would believe that what he says in private is the authentic Romney.

http://www.dailykos.com/

"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what.
    And I mean the president starts off with 48,49... he starts off with a huge number. These are people who pay no income tax. Forty-seven percent of Americans pay no income tax. So our message of low taxes doesn't connect. So he'll be out there talking about tax cuts for the rich. I mean, that's what they sell every four years. And so my job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

Others have dissected the fallacies of the 47 percent figure; the presumption that those 47 percent pay no taxes at all, when in practice often they pay more taxes, as a percentage of their income, than others; the rather unremarkable circumstances that can land one in that bracket, by definition unremarkable if nearly half of the nation can count itself a part of it, and so on. That the figure is a favored talking point of lower wingnuttia is also not especially surprising, as the Mitt campaign staff seems to fairly wallow in those dregs.
    No, what impresses me most about Mitt's little Sermon by the Fount is that, remarkably, we may have found an instance in which Mitt Romney actually believes what he says. He speaks easily, and off the cuff; much of the awkwardness of his public appearances is, seemingly, tempered. This is not something memorized and delivered by rote. Wherever Mitt first heard this thing, he believes it, and has internalized it, and has internalized the inherent irresponsibility and entitlement of, according to him, approximately half of the nation.

You cannot write off "who believe they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing" as merely inelegant wording. That is not an inelegant expression of campaign strategy towards half of America; it is, however, a perfectly elegant statement of contempt for them. There are plenty of ways to note that half of America will not be voting for you without lumping the lot of them together as believers in their own victimhood, or people who merely think of themselves as entitled to free things. We have moved on from belittling the help to belittling wide swaths of the retired, of troops overseas, of people working two jobs, or three. It is now half of America that has been assigned shameful loafer status, and by a room full of people who have multiple homes, who may have a yacht here or there, who may summer in the Hamptons, and who have more money to spend on a single speech and plateful of food than half the country might see in a year. And there is Mitt, giving the speech that does it. Members of the wait staff flit in and out of the picture as he delivers these remarks: Shirkers, slackers and hooligans, the lot of them.

Legend
    09-22-2012, 03:28 PM #133
    http://www.wjla.com/articles/2012/09...-pundits-80145.

Let me remind all of the readers here that Siriuslywrong put forth this Republican talking point about the 47% before Romney did. LMFAO.

And then, well, here’s a sampling.

• Bill Kristol in the Weekly Standard: “It's worth recalling that a good chunk of the 47 percent who don't pay income taxes are Romney supporters—especially of course seniors (who might well "believe they are entitled to heath care," a position Romney agrees with), as well as many lower-income Americans (including men and women serving in the military) who think conservative policies are better for the country even if they're not getting a tax cut under the Romney plan. So Romney seems to have contempt not just for the Democrats who oppose him, but for tens of millions who intend to vote for him.

“It remains important for the country that Romney wins in November (unless he chooses to step down and we get the Ryan-Rubio ticket we deserve!). But that shouldn't blind us to the fact that Romney's comments, like those of Obama four years ago, are stupid and arrogant.” http://bit.ly/OM58Q8

• Michael Gerson in the Washington Post: “Republican ideology pitting the “makers” against the “takers” offers nothing. No sympathy for our fellow citizens. No insight into our social challenge. No hope of change. This approach involves a relentless reductionism. Human worth is reduced to economic production. Social problems are reduced to personal vices. Politics is reduced to class warfare on behalf of the upper class.” http://wapo.st/SenhfB

Legend
    09-23-2012, 11:40 AM #134
    Mr. Clinton connected Romney's tax rate to the larger political debate about the economy, taxes and the deficit.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3460_162...y-in-one-term/

"I don't think we can get out of this hole we're in if people at that income level only pay 13 or 14 percent," he added.

As for Mitt Romney's comments about 47 percent of Americans who don't pay federal income tax, Mr. Clinton said they are out of the federal income tax pool, in part, because of the economic crash. He also said a reason is because of bipartisan efforts to reduce the tax burden on working families.

He said that as president he doubled the Earned Income Tax Credit and President George W. Bush doubled the Child Tax Credit. An "enormous number of these people who were dropped out were dropped out for reasons of work and family, not dependents. These people are working their hearts out," Mr. Clinton said.

Guru
    09-25-2012, 02:20 PM #135
    Who pays income taxes?

http://www.ntu.org/tax-basics/who-pa...ome-taxes.html

Interesting that the bottom 50% is now paying almost HALF in 2009 than they did in 1999 (2.25% vs 4.00%) and the top 10% of income tax payers are paying some 4 to 5% more during the same time frame.

Legend
    09-25-2012, 10:23 PM #136
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/b...-election.html
    Bill Clinton: Romney’s ’47 percent’ remark could haunt him in debates
    By Dylan Stableford, Yahoo! News | The Ticket – 7 hrs ago

Clinton (CNN)
    Bill Clinton thinks the upcoming presidential debates are crucial for Mitt Romney, and that the Republican candidate's controversial "47 percent" remarks could come back to haunt him.
    "I think if he's going to double down on that 47 percent remark, that will cause difficulties," the former president told Piers Morgan on Tuesday in an interview taped at the Clinton Global Initiative. "Because we now know the overwhelming number of those people work and have children, and the reason they don't pay federal income taxes is that median income is as low as it was in 1995 now, and until the current election season, Republicans and Democrats supported both the child tax credit and the earned income tax credit."
    In a secretly taped video published by Mother Jones last week, Romney told attendees of a fundraiser that President Barack Obama's core supporters—47 percent of voters, according to the GOP hopeful—"believe they are victims" and "are dependent upon government."
    "This is a rejection of basically more than three decades of bipartisan policy to support working families," Clinton said. "It's not a bunch of freeloaders."

Legend
    09-25-2012, 10:36 PM #137
    http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/20...ref=fpnewsfeed

Mitt Romney argued Tuesday that President Obama has not yet raised taxes during his presidency, contradicting a line of attack congressional Republicans have lobbed against the president for years.

“I admit this, he has one thing he did not do in his first four years, he’s said he’s going to do in his next four years, which is to raise taxes,” Romney told a crowd at a campaign stop in Vandalia, Ohio.

The Republican nominee’s assessment is mostly accurate — as president, Obama temporarily cut taxes for working families via the 2009 stimulus package and signed an extension of all the Bush-era tax cuts until the end of this year. He intends to let the lower rates expire on incomes above $250,000 expire in January 2013.

Averting a tax increase on high incomes is a top Republican goal.

Guru
    09-28-2012, 02:53 PM #138
    Taxes are going up 1/1/2013. Make sure to adjust your withholding.

Page 14 of 14 ... 4121314