Page 1 of 21 12311 ...
    Mentor
    03-04-2011, 09:56 PM #1

Siri Stock Thread March 2011

At the 2/15/11 Conference Call, Mel Karmazin said the following:

“We think that there is an awful lot of people who like the, Slacker, Pandora, Last.fm, iheart services because it’s free. Nothing is really free because the way they make their money is they make you listen to commercials and a lot of that IP content as they get and try to get more and more revenue are going to be running more and more commercials.”

On 2/22/11, Tyler Savery rebutted as follows:

“As for Karmazins comment…..He is pumping so much shit in that statement that we all need to buy hip waders! Anyone who believes what Karmazin is saying there on blind faith is a bigger idiot than I could possibly imagine!”

On the same date . . . Tyler Savery:

“What many fail to realize is that the new royalty deals make it more beneficial for Internet Radio services to become subscription based, which is exactly the move Pandora and Slacker have already shifted to.”

Now on March 4, 2011 . . . Tyler Savery:

“While I personally see a shift to paying subscribers, Pandora will not likely give up what has become a lucrative advertising platform any time soon.”

Which takes us back to Mel Karmazin on 2/15/11:

“And again, we like our business model, which is principally subscription driven as compared to the model of where you’re offering service for free and running commercials, that sounds an awful lot like Terrestrial Radio.”

Last edited by Sirius Roadkill; 01-26-2012 at 11:39 PM.

Addict
    03-05-2011, 12:22 AM #2
    At the 2/15/11 Conference Call, Mel Karmazin said the following:

“We think that there is an awful lot of people who like the, Slacker, Pandora, Last.fm, iheart services because it’s free. Nothing is really free because the way they make their money is they make you listen to commercials and a lot of that IP content as they get and try to get more and more revenue are going to be running more and more commercials.”

On 2/22/11, Tyler Savery rebutted as follows:

“As for Karmazins comment…..He is pumping so much shit in that statement that we all need to buy hip waders! Anyone who believes what Karmazin is saying there on blind faith is a bigger idiot than I could possibly imagine!”

On the same date . . . Tyler Savery:

“What many fail to realize is that the new royalty deals make it more beneficial for Internet Radio services to become subscription based, which is exactly the move Pandora and Slacker have already shifted to.”

Now on March 4, 2011 . . . Tyler Savery:

“While I personally see a shift to paying subscribers, Pandora will not likely give up what has become a lucrative advertising platform any time soon.”

Which takes us back to Mel Karmazin on 2/15/11:

“And again, we like our business model, which is principally subscription driven as compared to the model of where you’re offering service for free and running commercials, that sounds an awful lot like Terrestrial Radio.”

p.s. traveler advisory: If you do the Mission to Mars flight simulator at Epcot, I suggest you do not opt for the extreme version on a full stomach![/QUOTE]

This site must be renamed "Pandora & Spencer Lovefest"
    Last edited by SiriMonkey; 01-27-2012 at 12:47 AM.

Mentor
    03-06-2011, 12:18 PM #3

Clear Channel to Become Pandora Challenger

http://www.cnbc.com/id/41852447?par=RSS

"Clear Channel's recent acquisition of Thumbplay's cloud-based music technology is part of the company's strategy to lead the digital radio market, company Chairman of media and entertainment platforms Bob Pittman told CNBC Tuesday."

However, Pittman is uncertain such digital radio platforms are viable as free-standing businesses.

"For us, it's a feature as part of something bigger. How you make money? I'm not sure it's a free-standing business," Pittman said. "So for us, we're looking for things to add in — They don't have to be in themselves money makers, they just have to make the overall offering bigger and better."

A seemingly stunned Tyler Savery (pictured below) could not be reached for comment . . . as he was very busy playing Call of Duty while streaming Pandora.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sirius Roadkill; 03-06-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Mentor
    03-06-2011, 12:44 PM #4
    I have to say, I like this guy Pittman. Listen carefully to the distinction he makes between "Curated Music" and a "Playlist"

The clip is worth watching twice . . .

Also, be sure to watch the charts that flash across the screen . . . a lot of competition already in this space and big-time-players in the pipeline.

btw, Michelle Caruso Cabrera must have a great plastic surgeon . . . shaved-off at least 10 years without giving her that bug-eyed look or Joker-Lips . . . one of the better facelifts I've seen recently
    Last edited by Sirius Roadkill; 03-06-2011 at 12:53 PM.

Addict
    03-06-2011, 01:03 PM #5
    Roadkill - Spencer is looking into the future and seeing all these millions of radio listeners on smartphones. I guess he figures if Pandora can get to the 25% of revenue figure on royalties they are gold.

He is ignoring these important facts -

1. streaming costs per listener
    2. The unwillingness of people to pay sub fees for radio limited to music
    3. Internet radio has been around for 17 years without one net radio company becoming a cash flow growth story.
    4. No barrier to entry on internet radio or smartphone radio. (The biggest problem of all)
    5. If Sirius had a Pandora type business model on the net Sirius' overall EBITDA margins would be killed.

Spencer obviously loves the future of internet radio. I don't disagree with him that internet radio, with some great features and functionality, will be around forever and there will be millions of listeners.

There will also be millions of internet radio stations fragmenting the entire audience on smartphones thus making it almost impossible for anybody to make money on net radio in the future as has happened the last 17 years.

Its a bad business. Its probably going to be a good churn reducer for Sirius. And the functionality will probably be cooler. Money wise internet radio sucks. Spencer is simply incorrect in his thesis. I think he will realize it soon enough . I think he's a pretty smart guy. Only a moron would keep pushing the theory when nobody's making money year after year.

Addict
    03-06-2011, 01:08 PM #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Roadkill View Post
    I have to say, I like this guy Pittman. Listen carefully to the distinction he makes between "Curated Music" and a "Playlist"

The clip is worth watching twice . . .

Also, be sure to watch the charts that flash across the screen . . . a lot of competition already in this space and big-time-players in the pipeline.

btw, Michelle Caruso Cabrera must have a great plastic surgeon . . . shaved-off at least 10 years without giving her that bug-eyed look or Joker-Lips . . . one of the better facelifts I've seen recently
    Pittman was in radio long before his AOL days in the 90s. Bright guy.

Mentor
    03-06-2011, 07:08 PM #7
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSCLE13 View Post
    Spencer is simply incorrect in his thesis. I think he will realize it soon enough . I think he's a pretty smart guy. Only a moron would keep pushing the theory when nobody's making money year after year.
    Only thing I can conclude muscle is that Tyler must have tiger blood coursing through his veins . . . or perhaps adonis DNA.

Mentor
    03-06-2011, 07:17 PM #8
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSCLE13 View Post
    Roadkill - Spencer is looking into the future and seeing all these millions of radio listeners on smartphones.

He is ignoring these important facts -

1. streaming costs per listener
    2. The unwillingness of people to pay sub fees for radio limited to music
    3. Internet radio has been around for 17 years without one net radio company becoming a cash flow growth story.
    4. No barrier to entry on internet radio or smartphone radio. (The biggest problem of all)
    5. If Sirius had a Pandora type business model on the net Sirius' overall EBITDA margins would be killed.
    In addition, his reporting has not yet addressed the fact that as smartphone penetration has increased, TSL (Time Spent Listening) to Pandora has actually decreased . . . a very tough sell for an advertising model.

Mentor
    03-06-2011, 08:28 PM #9
    off-topic:

How do people who work at Goldman Sachs actually live with themselves?

Denial?

Rationalization?

Intellectualization?

A pox on their house and all politicians who take contributions from them.
    Last edited by Sirius Roadkill; 03-06-2011 at 08:34 PM.

Addict
    03-06-2011, 08:42 PM #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Roadkill View Post
    In addition, his reporting has not yet addressed the fact that as smartphone penetration has increased, TSL (Time Spent Listening) to Pandora has actually decreased . . . a very tough sell for an advertising model.
    Roadkill - Short term bandwidth is going to be an obstacle for net radio. Verizon's has signaled it's going to tiered pricing like AT&T already has. Long term zero barrier to entry is the biggest issue. There is a reason why internet radio never became a profitable business on PCs and laptops the last 17 years. People talk about smartphone growth. Do you know anybody that doesn't have computer access? Yet with the nation using the net, internet radio never became profitable. Why? Zero barrier to entry destroys media business models.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ...