Banned
    06-30-2008, 11:33 AM #1

Press release may be a response to NAB allegations:

Thursday the 26th: xm, sirius and the NAB met with commissioners Tate and Adelstein. The NAB filed this;

In addition, NAB pointed out that the benefits that Sirius and XM allege will flow from the merger are not merger specific. Specifically, the Commission needs not give sole control of the only nationwide radio distribution platform to one entity to garner the programming benefits XM and Sirius promise to offer. Either company could offer those benefits right now.
    http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/r...ent=6520032060

06-30-2008, 11:40 AM #2
    A PR about cost savings that a combined company can realize really has nothing to do with, nor does it offer any response to, what the NAB is pointing out.

NAB is repeating an argument they made earlier that the two companies do not need to merge in order to offer alacarte options and minority channels and these concessions are just a ploy to get a merger.

I believe the rational response is that it does not make economic sense for the companies to offer alacarte radio on their own. They market with two players is too fractured to support itself and needs to be consolidated.

Sure, they could offer those benefits to the consumer now. But it is not in the best interest of the company to do so. So if the FCC scratches our back and lets us compete with the rest of the audio entertainment industry, we'll cooperate and thank you by making our product more accesible and friendly to the consumer. (and hey what do you know, that helps out our business too!)

the end

Banned
    06-30-2008, 11:57 AM #3
    I'm beginning to think that if I post a news report that the sky is blue, I'd be met with arguments that I have yet to prove the existance of a sky!

benefits that Sirius and XM allege will flow from the merger are not merger specific

I'd say this press release outlines merger specific benefits. Or who know? Maybe there isn't a sky!

06-30-2008, 01:22 PM #4
    I think we are confusing benefits to the consumer, and financial benefits to the combined company. NAB's ex parte is talking about consumer benefits, and the Sirius PR is clearly about financial benefits to the combined company.

Mentor
    06-30-2008, 05:22 PM #5
    crfceo: This is not a conspiracy against anything you post.

It is possible that the NAB had access to this PR announcment prior to their meeting with the commissioners on Friday, and it is possible that that is why the price spiked Friday afternoon.

I personally dont think that the NAB would be commenting on a PR that had not been released yet to the public. I also do not think that the PR had enough information in it to allow the NAB to conclude that the items that XM/Sirius are talking about could be gotten without a merger. It does not detail where the synergies are coming from, so how would the NAB know anything about it? They wouldn't.

We are not all against you CRF! I promise! I personally enjoy the rumors and ideas you bring to the forums. I wish Hartlieb were here, and even StackPointer. I enjoy alternate views.

06-30-2008, 09:05 PM #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    and even StackPointer.
    Whoa whoa whoa, lets not get carried away

Just kidding, I actually like that jerk. If there were no "bad" how could we appreciate the "good?"