Mentor
    02-04-2011, 12:41 PM #1

Stern on Letterman

Head Honcho
    02-04-2011, 04:14 PM #2
    Very entertaining last night. Whether you like him or not, he really shows you how boring a typical late night show guest is. They are all so safe and vanilla all the time.

Have you ever seen a guest take all 3 segments? Typically, the big name gets 2 segments but, I have never seen 3 that I can remember. Then again, I dont watch all that often.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Mentor
    02-04-2011, 09:04 PM #3
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    Very entertaining last night. Whether you like him or not, he really shows you how boring a typical late night show guest is. They are all so safe and vanilla all the time.

Have you ever seen a guest take all 3 segments? Typically, the big name gets 2 segments but, I have never seen 3 that I can remember. Then again, I dont watch all that often.
    I have to agree Charles . . I thought Howard brought his A-Game last nite!

Way back when I was just a wee-little SRK . . on the occasions when I would sleep-over at the grandparents, they would allow me to stay up late to watch the Johnny Carson show with them . . . it was fascinating how Bob Hope would sometimes show up unannounced, deliver a few tired-out punch-lines (with the set-up spoon-fed by Carson), maybe give a tiger growl sound effect . . . and then not even stay for a segment (Howard has talked about this at some length).

It was like, OMG, OMG Bob Hope, Bob Hope is here (and the audience would be whooping it up like mad) . . oh Bob, we know you are soooo busy, we'll let you get right back to work . . . it was as if the Pope showed up . . and then after granting a brief audience, Bob would scurry off stage as if he really had some other place to be. That was a big-big deal for the grandparents; really made their late-night if Bob Hope or Dean Martin showed up.

Latenite programming has been a staple of broadcast TV for a long-long time . . . and the format really hasn't changed that much . . . I would bet Don Rickles or Sammy Davis Jr once did 3 segments on Carson - lol.
    Last edited by Sirius Roadkill; 02-04-2011 at 09:10 PM.

Head Honcho
    02-04-2011, 09:43 PM #4
    If Dave and Howard went on each others show once per month they would both dominate. I'm not sure either need each other but, they both have the power to elevate each other. It would be cool if they could setup regular appearances.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder