Mentor
    11-26-2010, 01:10 PM #1

Dr. Laura Moves to SatRad

NEW YORK, Nov. 26, 2010

Talk show host Laura Schlessinger won't stay away from radio very long - only a weekend, in fact. Sirius XM Radio Inc. said Monday it has a multiyear deal with Schlessinger to bring her "Dr. Laura" advice program to satellite radio in January. Specific terms were not revealed. Schlessinger had said in August that she was quitting her syndicated radio program, a week after she apologized for using the N-word on the air 11 times while talking to a black woman, and activists demanded her ouster. She ends her traditional radio program on Friday, Dec. 31. The following Monday, her "Dr. Laura" show will begin live at 2 p.m. on Sirius XM. It will air for three hours a day on Monday through Friday. Schlessinger announced on CNN's "Larry King Live" Aug. 17 that she was walking away from her radio show when her contract ended. The next day Sirius talk programming chief Jeremy Coleman called her to discuss a switch, she said. "The first and most important thing that appealed to me was the freedom to speak my mind without advertisers and affiliates being attacked by activist groups that just love to censor anything they don't agree with," she said. "That just about made my heart and head explode." The liberal watchdog Media Matters for America was a persistent critic. Its leadership didn't accept her apology and sought to encourage advertisers to drop her show. She was reading the Media Matters website when she decided, "that's it, I'm done with this," Schlessinger said. In the radio incident that prompted her to quit, Schlessinger said to the woman involved, who was married to a white man, that "if you're that hypersensitive about color and don't have a sense of humor, don't marry out of your race." Schlessinger said she'll have some new segments on her show, including interviews with people about situations "that are relevant to the morals, values, principles and ethics that I nag about everyday." She said she's sure she'll say things that will offend someone. "When I talk about married couples staying together for the sake of the children, somebody's offended," she said. "When I talk about mothers staying home with their babies, feminists are offended. when I talk about how wives should have more sex with their husbands, women are offended." Schlessinger will be the biggest radio star to jump from traditional to satellite radio since Howard Stern, who had also tired of controversies over things he said and found the opportunity for a big payday. She's likely to sacrifice some viewers. It's estimated her show is currently heard by about 8 million people a day. Sirius XM has 20 million subscribers, but it's not certain how many of them will be interested in Schlessinger. The service does not release figures estimating listeners for their shows. Her show will also be available online and through apps on many smart phones, Sirius said; shows will be repeated on radio over the weekend.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n7091887.shtml
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sirius Roadkill; 11-26-2010 at 01:57 PM.

Mentor
    11-26-2010, 01:56 PM #2

Dr. Laura headed to satellite radio, says the AP

Dr. Laura headed to satellite radio, says the AP

The AP reports today that Dr. Laura Schlessinger will move directly from terrestrial radio syndication, through her Take On The Day shop, to Sirius XM as of January 3, 2011. Schlessinger voluntarily decided to leave terrestrial radio after the mid-August N-word controversy, and hadn’t made any announcement about her radio plans past December 31. (She already has a full schedule of other activities, including personal appearances and her writing.) It’s unclear whether this news was supposed to get out over the holiday weekend, because the AP story says “Sirius XM said Monday it has a multi-year deal with Schlessinger.” There was no press release about Dr. Laura on the Sirius website, but the new arrangement seems to be a natural for both sides.

http://www.radio-info.com/news/dr-la...io-says-the-ap
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentor
    11-26-2010, 02:07 PM #3

Latest Blog Entry/No Mention Yet

How To Be Happy
    Nov 24, 2010

People seem very confused about happiness. Most folks believe that having all they want is the way to be happy. I don't think so.

When I was on the radio evenings in Los Angeles over two decades ago, I reached a "24 share." That meant one out of four people listening to Los Angeles radio was tuned into me. I got a substantial bonus. We took that money and paid off all financial obligations and had some left over.

I had always wanted a tennis bracelet - that's a bracelet made of tiny or huge diamonds. I had enough money for a bracelet with tiny diamonds, but a tennis bracelet nonetheless. My husband told me to treat myself, and I did. I felt a swell of joy every time I looked at that bracelet.

I did not feel joy because I had a diamond bracelet on my wrist. I thought that would be the case, but it wasn't. I felt joy because I had "busted my buns," worked very hard, and built something special. So, the happiness in looking at the bracelet was not because of the metal and carbon; it was because it symbolized the hard work doing what I loved to do.

It is the experiencing and working that brings happiness.

Years later, I became more successful, and "upgraded" the tennis bracelet. I liked the new bauble, but it never brought me anywhere near the thrill of that first one.

What comes easily does not have the emotional significance of hard work, sacrifice, and risk.

Once, when my son was small, and we were visiting Las Vegas, he wanted to put money in those machines at each dining room table and place a bet in the hopes of winning lots of money. I wouldn't let him do it. I told him that money wouldn't mean as much as money hard earned. He (at seven years of age) didn't quite "get" that. It seemed to him as a child that "found" booty is booty nonetheless. He's now finishing up his military service and has learned up front and personal about hard work, sacrifice and risk, and he's enjoyed every moment he's earned.

So, don't wish for "clearinghouse" checks or for winning the lottery. Wish for the opportunity to do something meaningful, something you love, something with hard work, sacrifice and risk. Believe me, you'll be happier.

http://www.drlaura.com/blog/how-to-be-happy/37906

Mentor
    11-26-2010, 02:12 PM #4
    DISREGARD US-Dr Laura
    By DAVID BAUDER
    The Associated Press

EDITORS:

Disregard BC-US-Dr Laura. Story was not intended for publication on Friday.

The AP

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/11/26...#ixzz16Ph7ZjDO