Page 14 of 15 ... 412131415
    Guru
    10-26-2010, 06:52 PM #131
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    All kinds of analysis of why the market might be moving this way or that,
    but when you are John and there are quotes of you predicting the market
    will fall in Sept. and Oct., and advising people to limit their exposure to
    certain stocks don't you think you ought to be a little bit humble?

Here is one analysis among hundreds.

NEW YORK | Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:11pm EDT
    (Reuters) - U.S. stocks could see big swings to the downside next week on any remotely "bad" news since volatility indexes are at levels considered too low.

Investors also will face a blizzard of earnings, which many analysts believe will continue to support the rally that began early this month. But any disappointments in either earnings or outlooks could, of course, trigger a sharp sell-off.

What's more, the market is likely to continue to garner support from investors' hopes that the Federal Reserve will take more steps to stimulate the economy, in what's known as "quantitative easing" or "QE2." The Fed is expected to unveil its initial commitment under QE2 at its November 2-3 meeting.

The Chicago Board of Options Exchange (CBOE) Volatility Index, or VIX .VIX, a gauge widely used to measure investors' anxiety levels, fell 2.54 percent on Friday to close at 18.78, its lowest level since April. The VIX, which rose to near 50 in May, has been around or under 20 for the past two weeks.

Options traders note that there is a clear sign of extreme complacency in the VIX and that it is making the market more vulnerable than before.

"The 'market volatility' index will see a lot more volatility (next week) since it is at such low levels now," said Steve Claussen, chief investment strategist at online brokerage OptionHouse.com.

The iPath S&P 500 VIX Short Term Futures exchange-traded note, or ETN (VXX.P) is also at a new 52-week low of 12.83. The ETN offers directional exposure to volatility and is based off of the front two-month VIX futures.

"If you look at VIX futures, investors seem to be always preparing for something to trigger the volatility to spike up again, yet there is nothing major in the immediate future that justifies that," Claussen said.

The VIX futures were traded at around 21 for November and 24 for December, but going into 2011, they were showing an increase of 40 percent, trading above 26.

The VIX, widely known as Wall Street's fear gauge, is a 30-day risk forecast of stock market volatility. The index typically has an inverse relationship with the S&P benchmark as it tracks option prices that investors are willing to pay as protection on the underlying stocks.

Earlier this week, the VIX instantly shot up nearly 12 percent when stocks suffered their steepest one-day decline since August after a surprising rate hike from China.

EARNINGS ON CENTER STAGE

Earnings will remain the center of attention next week. Many analysts predict that earnings will continue to support the market rally that kicked off October. If more companies report strong results, that could bolster sentiment, along with hopes for more Fed easing.

In the last week of October, 177 S&P 500 companies are due to report their balance sheets, of which seven are Dow components. Among them are energy giants Exxon (XOM.N) and Chevron (CVX.N) and technology giant Microsoft (MSFT.O).

S&P 500 earnings are expected to increase 28 percent for the third quarter from a year ago, up from a growth estimate of 24 percent last week, according to Thomson Reuters data.

Not at all, because I gave the one reason (and the only thing that did happen) that the markets could rise and well before they started to come back. I told you and everyone else that read that post, (paraphrase) "If all the polls start to show the democrats are going to get their buts kicked then it will start to rise again". Yes I know you think that is just a big quensidence that just as it happened so UP went the market.

Now as for my prediction about Nov. 3rd, you once again are missing it. I gave you the exact reason that it would start down and the exact reason why it may not go down as much or even go up a little more. Now listen you twit, come Nov. 3rd there would be nothing else in earnings that would drive the market like the out come of the election. As an example, (because you need one because you must be 12). Anyone that has been in the market for 5 or more years has seen a company have a great quarterly report with profits coming out their ass and yet the PPS of that company gos down. CSCO is a perfect example of this. The reason why is the projections they would give were not AS good as analyst wanted. Now even though they would beat the old projection almost each time.

Ho sure though, you keep believing that unemployment at 9.6 and GDP DROPPING to 1.6 is the reason for the market rising.

Just a hint: GDP stands for Gross Domestic Product: The total market value of all final goods and services produced in a country in a given year, equal to total consumer, investment and government spending, plus the value of exports, minus the value of imports.

Now with a GDP that low (1.6) even if one company comes out with great results, there HAS TO BE OTHERS that have terrible results. Thats why GDP is the major indicator of the health of the economy. Ask any economist and they will all tell you, a 1.6 GDP sucks BAD and it REALLY sucks when it is in a declining mode not that it is much better when it comes in on the inclining mode but at least then it shows the ecomony is on the up tick (GROWING) and not shrinking.

Your dumb ass, almost has me wishing the democrats hold onto the house just so when the market falls 500 points the next day I can say, I TOLD YOU SO".

Legend
    10-26-2010, 08:50 PM #132
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriuslyLong View Post
    Stop it John. You and I both said that the market will go down until the election. The election did not occur, and the market has gone up (there's still a chance it will go down - and the Hindenburg Omen still has two weeks to strike lol). Now you're revising / refining / STRETCHING your "theory" to match what's happened. Just man up.

What I said is that the bad news is beating expectations, and that's the reason for increase. If you choose to belief that the increase is due to the potential for an increase in republican seats, be my guest.
    I will let someone else's words do the talking.
    Last edited by Havakasha; 10-26-2010 at 08:53 PM.

Enthusiast
    10-26-2010, 11:02 PM #133
    "Obviously you prefer, as you indicated before, to avoid taking John to task."
    This is true. `Mostly it is not constructive. no matter how valid your points are if they are different.`

" I dont see myself as you describle me, but no problem." Unfortunately most others do. Obviously You can take it or leave it. And if you leave it you will fall in to the above category to most here.

"And dont worry as i wont be mentioning your name here again.
    Enjoy your day."

Actually I would rather you tone it down and leave out politics unless it is directly siri related. Just gets tiring wading through the bickering. Both of you have beaten that same horse to death and continue beating the corpse.
    The advice I have taken myself after others strongly indicated I should. Stop the pissing contests (with John).

In other news ... looks like 1.25 is a fairly solid base now. Whew!
    Last edited by airman; 10-26-2010 at 11:09 PM.

Legend
    10-27-2010, 12:42 AM #134
    I was hoping to not have to address this anymore.
    Its starting to resemble a Quentin Tarantino movie.
    i totally agree that the pissing contest should stop.

Very happy where siri is right now. Waiting for resolution
    of Howard Stern matter. Goodnight.
    Last edited by Havakasha; 10-27-2010 at 12:45 AM.

Guru
    10-27-2010, 09:30 AM #135
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    I was hoping to not have to address this anymore.
    Its starting to resemble a Quentin Tarantino movie.
    i totally agree that the pissing contest should stop.

Very happy where siri is right now. Waiting for resolution
    of Howard Stern matter. Goodnight.
    No way dude, Tarantino movies are GOOD lol.

Mel said that resolution with Stern would be before the 3QCC which if true, any day now.

Legend
    10-27-2010, 10:05 AM #136
    Didnt know you watched movies. Thought you only watched Fox business news. LOL.
    Just streamed Inglorious Bastards last night and it was very uneven.
    In my opinion Brad Pitts Southern accent and performance kind of matched your theory
    on state budget deficits. Very shaky.

I think Mel changed the date on which he predicted a resolution of the
    Howard Stern matter. I believe he said it would be resolved toward the end of the year.
    Lets hope its soon and Stern stays.
    Last edited by Havakasha; 10-27-2010 at 10:38 AM.

Mentor
    10-27-2010, 10:21 AM #137
    press release
    Oct. 27, 2010, 9:48 a.m. EDT

XM Satellite Radio Announces Completion of Senior Note Offering and Early Acceptance of Cash Tender Offer and Consent Solicitation for its Senior Secured Notes

NEW YORK, Oct 27, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- XM Satellite Radio Inc. ("XM"), a subsidiary of SIRIUS XM Radio /quotes/comstock/15*!siri/quotes/nls/siri (SIRI 1.39, -.00, -0.07%) , today announced the closing of its previously announced offering of $700 million aggregate principal amount of 7.625% Senior Notes due 2018 (the "7.625% Notes").

In addition, XM announced that it exercised its early purchase option and has accepted for purchase all of the $489,065,000 aggregate principal amount of its outstanding 11.25% Senior Secured Notes due 2013 (the "11.25% Notes") tendered and not validly withdrawn prior to 5:00 p.m., New York City time, on October 26, 2010 pursuant to the previously announced tender offer and consent solicitation. Payment for the 11.25% Notes purchased will be made today.

XM also announced that based on the amount of 11.25% Notes tendered, XM has received the requisite consents to adopt the proposed amendments to the 11.25% Notes, the indenture governing the 11.25% Notes and the related security documents. A supplemental indenture and other documents giving effect to the amendments have been executed and delivered. The amendments have eliminated most of the restrictive covenants and certain of the events of default contained in the indenture governing the 11.25% Notes and have released the security for, and guarantees of, the 11.25% Notes.

The tender offer is being made pursuant to the terms and conditions of the Offer to Purchase and Consent Solicitation Statement, dated as of October 13, 2010, and the related Letter of Transmittal and Consent (collectively, the "Offer Documents"). The tender offer will expire at 12:00 a.m., midnight, New York City time, on November 9, 2010, unless extended by XM.

The depositary and information agent for the tender offer and consent solicitation is Global Bondholder Services Corporation. The dealer manager for the tender offer and solicitation agent for the consent solicitation is J.P. Morgan Securities LLC ((800) 245-8812 (toll-free) and (212) 270-1200 (collect)).

This news release is for informational purposes only and does not constitute an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy the 7.625% Notes or an offer to buy or the solicitation of an offer to sell the 11.25% Notes. The offering of the 7.625% Notes has been completed. The 7.625% Notes have not been registered under the Securities Act, or any state securities laws, and may not be offered or sold in the United States absent registration, except pursuant to an exemption from the registration requirements of the Securities Act and applicable state securities laws. The tender offer and the consent solicitation are being made only pursuant to the Offer Documents. Holders and investors should read carefully the Offer Documents because they contain important information, including the various terms and conditions of the tender offer and the consent solicitation.

Guru
    10-27-2010, 10:25 AM #138
    OK SRK, I focused my attn on the red print. Can SIRI now buy back stock?

Legend
    10-27-2010, 10:37 AM #139
    Like S&L i want to understand better what you posted SRK. Can you please summarize the statement (I am referring to the part about the 2013 notes and its restrictions) in laymans terms.Thanks.
    Last edited by Havakasha; 10-27-2010 at 10:39 AM.

Mentor
    10-27-2010, 10:48 AM #140

Stern Show Negotiations

David Letterman kinda has this nailed:

http://www.tvsquad.com/2010/10/26/ba...rn-show-video/