Page 12 of 15 ... 21011121314 ...
    10-19-2010, 11:28 AM #111
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriuslyLong View Post
    So let's count the sites which Sirius Buzz created

Satwaves
    KOAT
    Satellite Radio Playground
    and now newmarketplayers.com

It would be interesting to document the chronology of event leading up to all this.

It sure would.

Julie

Enthusiast
    10-20-2010, 01:00 AM #112
    There are many sides to every story. Things happen, and as unfortunate as it may be I personally would rather stay out of the drama. More likely than not the reasons involve both parties in some form or another.

I make it a point to not post on any other site or ask anyone to do so on my behalf. If invited I will participate. I feel it is a professional courtesy to not "recruit" or drum up clicks.

I do not mind links to other sites provided they are provided with some context....i.e. "Joe Smith had an interesting opinion on the latest satellite. I don't agree because of this that and the other thing, but his thoughts made me stop and think about it."

Just some thoughts.....let us please keep the drama away from here.

Quote Originally Posted by just sirius View Post
    For anybody interested...except John

Cos has his own site now...NEWMARKETPLAYERS.COM

Demian got his panties in a wad and they had a pissing contest! Cos was accused of personal attacks and slanderous comments!!!! Can you believe it...Cos...of all people!

Just kidding John...

JS

Mentor
    10-21-2010, 10:41 AM #113
    press release
    Oct. 21, 2010, 10:15 a.m. EDT

SIRIUS XM Radio to Announce Third Quarter 2010 Results
    Company to Webcast Earnings Call for Investors and Media

NEW YORK, Oct 21, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- SIRIUS XM Radio /quotes/comstock/15*!siri/quotes/nls/siri (SIRI 1.33, -0.02, -1.48%) today announced that it plans to release third quarter 2010 financial and operating results on Thursday, November 4, 2010.

Mentor
    10-21-2010, 11:20 AM #114
    Thursday, Oct 21, 2010
    Sirius XM Will Lease 4% of Spectrum
    by Erik Sass

The Federal Communications Commission has decided how to implement the regulatory requirement requiring satellite radio broadcaster Sirius XM to make 4% of its combined spectrum available for broadcasts by non-corporate groups.

In its decision, the FCC appears to be dropping the race-based criterion for organizations submitting applications to broadcast content on Sirius XM's satellite frequencies -- one of the original conditions for Congressional and regulatory approval of the 2007 merger between Sirius and XM.

Specifically, the new definition of a "qualified entity" promulgated by the FCC leaves out the condition (included in earlier rules) that the entity be "majority-owned by persons who are African American... Asian or Pacific Islanders; American Indians or Alaskan Natives; or Hispanics," to avoid possible challenges on constitutional grounds.

Instead, the rules merely require the organization not be owned by Sirius XM or share any corporate officers with the satcaster. The rules also exclude any entity which has provided content to Sirius XM in the last two years -- a measure specifically designed to encourage applications from smaller broadcasters unaffiliated with big corporations, as well as "new entrant[s] to the mass media industry."

Sirius XM is prohibited from exercising any control over the content carried on the 4% of the spectrum given over to public programming.

At the same time, the new rules also allow Sirius XM to participate in the process of choosing which applicants will get to share its satellite spectrum -- another important revision of the original terms. However, the company's choices will be subject to review by the FCC's Media Bureau.

Mentor
    10-21-2010, 11:24 AM #115
    Sirius XM Radio Successfully Performing Post-Launch Maneuvers

by Staff Writers
    Palo Alto, CA (SPX) Oct 20, 2010

Space Systems/Loral reports that XM-5, a satellite that it provided to SIRIUS XM Radio, America's satellite radio company, is performing post-launch maneuvers according to plan. The satellite's solar arrays deployed on schedule last week, following a successful launch on Thursday from the Baikonur Space Center in Kazakhstan aboard a Proton Breeze M launch vehicle provided by International Launch Services (ILS). The satellite fired its main thruster twice since that time to begin maneuvering into geosynchronous orbit.

"XM-5 is a large and powerful satellite," said Rob Briskman, Co-founder and Technical Executive of SIRIUS XM Radio.

"This is the sixth satellite that Space Systems/Loral has built for SIRIUS XM Radio and it is the second to be delivered to geostationary orbit. We couldn't be more pleased with our long term relationship with SS/L and their continuous dedication to quality and reliability."

XM-5 is a 20-kW satellite that will be positioned at 85.2 degrees West Longitude following completion of in-orbit test. XM-5 is intended to serve as an in-orbit spare for the existing fleet of SIRIUS and XM satellites, ensuring that SIRIUS XM's services are reliably delivered to close to 20 million SIRIUS and XM subscribers.

The satellite will also help with delivery of services such as XM NavTraffic(R), which provides real-time traffic information to vehicles in markets across North America.

"Congratulations to SIRIUS XM Radio, ILS and Krunichev, on the successful launch," said John Celli, President of Space Systems/Loral.

"It has been a privilege to work together with SIRIUS XM over the past 20 years to develop the robust technologies that provide more than 130 channels of audio entertainment across North America."

The XM-5 satellite is designed using the SS/L 1300 spacecraft platform, which has a long history of reliability and provides the power and flexibility for a broad range of applications. With the launch of XM-5, there are 63 SS/L-built 1300 satellites currently in orbit.

Mentor
    10-21-2010, 11:25 AM #116
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 10:59 AM
    FCC Backs More Conditions For Sirius-XM
    By Juliana Gruenwald

The FCC approved an order this week requiring the satellite radio provider Sirius-XM to set aside at least 4 percent of its channels on the company's Sirius and XM services for independent programming.

The order, adopted Monday, is part of the ongoing conditions set by the FCC when it approved the merger of the nation's only satellite radio providers in 2008. The independent programming provision was added at the time to address concerns from critics of the merger that it would "harm viewpoint and program diversity."

As part of the order, the commission reversed a previous decision and will now allow Sirius XM to choose the independent programming, which is defined as having no financial tie to Sirius XM, that will make up this 4 percent requirement but does not allow the satellite radio provider to have editorial control over the programming. In addition, the company must submit the independent channels it plans to add to its XM and Sirius lineups to the FCC's Media Bureau for review before signing agreements with those channels. The company also must establish a transparent selection process that involves the creation of a public website detailing the criteria for proposed channels.

"This Order ensures that Sirius XM will reserve channels for programmers truly independent of Sirius XM, who will be new voices on the satellite radio platform, providing original programming of a type not already available, or service to historically underserved audiences," FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski said in a statement.

Genachowski's Democratic colleague, Michael Copps, opposed the commission's approval of the merger in 2008. In a statement released following the approval of Monday's order, Copps said he hopes the latest conditions will address some of the problems he raised about the merger when it was approved.

"The original merger condition for these particular programming commitments created legal vulnerabilities not only for the commission, but for the company, too," Copps said. "Hopefully this item corrects the original error and will open the way for more of the kind of diverse programming that our country so desperately needs."

The Media Access Project praised the order, saying it included some of the recommendations it made to the FCC aimed at addressing concerns with the merger.

"The requirements set by the commission allow people to access more content addressing the needs of minority communities, independent artists, and other niche audiences," MAP Senior Vice President Andrew Jay Schwartzmann said in a statement.

Mentor
    10-21-2010, 11:33 AM #117

File this under hysterically funny!

Sirius XM Radio (SIRI), CenturyLink (CTL)

As Cramer says often, "Tips are for waiters." He warns investors against heavily hyped stocks, and for good reason. Sirius XM Radio (SIRI), a much-touted stock, is not as sexy as it looks, particularly since it burns up cash and has difficulty making money. Yet, SIRI was being pushed endlessly, and lost 78% of its value in five years. There was a push for Sirius to merge with XM, and when that finally happened, in 2008, the merger took place in the middle of the credit crisis, and didn't help either company very much. While the stock has improved somewhat with reorganization, SIRI is hardly a winner, even though many are bullish.

Cramer prefers "boring" radio play CenturyLink (CTL) with the not-so-boring 7.3% dividend. The stock is up 24% over the last 5 years while the S&P 500 is down 2% for the same period. "It's the best world telco company in the country," said Cramer, since it provides phone, internet and TV service to 33 states and might benefit from the consolidation in the industry. Cramer thinks the dividend and the company's performance make it a buy.

I guess ole Jimbo is having a tough season at the Hunterdon County pumpkin farm . . wait til Chris Christie gets around to looking at NJ's bogus farmland tax breaks for the well-heeled . . . btw, for the uninitiated, Jimmy called the equity worthless at $0.20 and said the company should just "cancel the stock." Then, at around $0.55, Jimmy recommended avoiding the equity and said "the Bonds are a better play." So, while CenturyLink is up 24% over the last 5 years, Sirius XM is up 2100% over the last 20 months . . I sure hope Tulane has a strong Math Program after the brainwashing Jimmy just tried to give'm
    Last edited by Sirius Roadkill; 10-21-2010 at 11:43 AM.

Guru
    10-22-2010, 11:48 AM #118
    Anyone watching SIRI today? Opened lower, then went down more then battled back for a 2 cent gain as of this writing. I thought I was in store for an easy come, easy go type deal, but it seems to be holding for now. Good stuff.

Guru
    10-22-2010, 03:39 PM #119
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriuslyLong View Post
    Where am I getting my news from? Fox News!

The market is not rational John. If 420,000 unemployment claims were projected, and the number came in at 395,000, the market has indeed received this information positively. Fox News reports it John, "the market is up because claims came in lower than expectation." Don't act like it never happened.

If I had time on my hands, I'd find my exact post where I pointed this out.

The first problem is, it has never (at least since the market started it's recent increase) been that large of a difference, at most I have seen 7,000 to 12,000 difference in expectations. Second problem is that, for as many up side expectations there have been as many down side expectations on the weekly unemployment numbers. Third problem is that, even on most of the days that that had showed unemployment went up higher then expected the market still went up. Forth is the problem that many dont even follow the weekly and use the monthly which smooths out those weekly jobless claims numbers. Finally the big number they all use more then any weekly or monthly unemployment claims number is the unemployment RATE and at what pace is the economy creating jobs that was much slower then anyone expected and while the rate stayed the same when expectations were that it would rise to 9.7 or 9.8 the fact is if you read any of those articles you would see that they all said that the only reason that did not rise was that many fell out of the unemployment number because they are NO LONGER LOOKING FOR WORK, NOT that they are no longer UNemployed. AND WHAT HAPPEN after that report came out????? Ho yes, the market continued to go up.

There has been ONLY ONE thing that has happen that has DIRECTLY correlated to the rise of the market. I know you must think it is some big quesidence, that AS SOON AS most polls started to show republicans would absolutely take back the congress the markets started to go up but it is a fact that just as that happen the market started its increase. Ever hear buy the rumor sell the news. I will also predict that just as the election results show what the polls are saying happens that because the market has gone to high that it will come down some and there will be profit taking. The only thing that will stop the down turn or make it not so bad, is if the republicans also take back the senate also. The reason there is very few that expects it to happen. I believe it is still very possible. I think we see another Scott Brown happen. I saw a Hanity show where he had a Frank luntz group in Connecticut, half were supporting the democrat and half supporting the republican for senate. TWO of them raised their hands when the question was ask, after seeing that debate, do you think Blumenthal (the democrat) knows how to create jobs. Thats right only 2 of them said yes. Now I am being optimistic in thinking people are not going to be as stupid as they were when they voted for a man with no experience to be president but something tells me they learned, "fool me once shame on you fool me twice SHAME ON ME". That they are not going to be as stupid as people in, PA., CO., OH., VA., ect., to vote for a man that said he would bankrupt the coal industry you know an industry that those states ECONOMIES DEPEND ON. I am hoping people are not still dumb twits AGAIN.

Guru
    10-22-2010, 03:48 PM #120
    Quote Originally Posted by just sirius View Post
    For anybody interested...except John

Cos has his own site now...NEWMARKETPLAYERS.COM

Just kidding John...

JS
    Thats ok because I dont first sign up to SIRIXM sites except this one without first being ask to come and do so. I may post on the main page but would need to be ask to sign up by a founder, before I do it. That is because they know what to expect with me and I want them to be willing to take that on. I dont expect to be treated like I was at KOAT. I like to think most are honest and will keep to what they promise.

Page 12 of 15 ... 21011121314 ...