09-13-2010, 09:44 PM #72
    It's good to see that folks are recognizing that Cash is King:

Meet the Cash Kings of Broadcasting
    By Jim Royal, Ph.D. | More Articles
    September 13, 2010 | Comments (0)

SIRI
    Sirius XM Radio
    Watch SIRI

As an investor, it pays to follow the cash. If you figure out how a company moves its money, you might eventually find some of that cash flowing into your pockets.

In this series, we'll highlight three big dogs in an industry, and compare their "cash king margins" over time, trying to determine which has the greatest likelihood of putting cash back in your pocket. After all, a company can pay dividends and buy back stock only after it's actually received cash -- not just when it books those accounting figments known as "profits."

The cash king margin
    Looking at a company's cash flow statement can help you determine whether its free cash flow actually backs up its reported profit. Companies that can create 10% or more free cash flow from their revenue can be powerful compounding machines for your portfolio.

To find the cash king margin, divide the free cash flow from the cash flow statement by sales:

Cash king margin = Free cash flow / sales
    Let's take Nike as an example. Over the last four quarters, the footwear giant generated $3.2 billion in operating cash flow. It invested about $335 million in property, plant, and equipment. To calculate free cash flow, subtract Nike's investment ($335 million) from its operating cash flow ($3.2 billion). That leaves us with $2.8 billion in free cash flow, which the company can save for future expenditures or distribute to shareholders.

Taking Nike's sales of $19 billion over the same period, we can figure that the company has a cash king margin of about 15% -- a nice high number. In other words, for every dollar of sales, Nike produces $0.15 in free cash.

Ideally, we'd like to see the cash king margin top 10%. The best blue chips can notch numbers greater than 20%, making them true cash dynamos. But some businesses, including many types of retailing, just can't sustain such margins.

We're also looking for companies that can consistently increase their margins over time, which indicates that their competitive position is improving. Erratic swings in margins could signal a deteriorating business, or perhaps some financial skullduggery; you'll have to dig deeper to discover the reason.

Three companies
    Today, let's look at three companies in the broadcasting industry:

Company
    Cash King Margin (TTM)
    1 Year Ago
    3 Years Ago
    5 Years Ago
    DIRECTV (Nasdaq: DTV)
    12.1%
    8.7%
    7.1%
    (10.7%)
    Comcast (Nasdaq: CMCSA)
    15.3%
    14.5%
    6.1%
    9.9%
    SIRIUS XM Radio (Nasdaq: SIRI)
    5.6%
    (3.0%)
    (56.5%)
    (293.5%)
    Source: Capital IQ, a division of Standard & Poor's; TTM = trailing 12 months.

Comcast displays the highest cash king margins of the three companies, and in the past three years has shown steady growth in its margins. DIRECTV also meets our 10% for attractiveness, and has grown its margins by almost 23 percentage points in the past half-decade. While Sirius fails to meet our 10% for attractiveness, its margins are on a serious uptrend over the past five years -- something for the Sirius bulls to hang their hats on.

The cash king margin can help you find highly profitable businesses, but it should only be the start of your search. The ratio does have its limits, especially for fast-growing small businesses. Many such companies reinvest all of their cash flow into growing the business, leaving them little or no free cash -- but that doesn't necessarily make them poor investments. You'll need to look closer to determine exactly how a company is using its cash.

Still, if you can cut through the earnings headlines to follow the cash instead, you might be on the path toward seriously great investments.

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...adcasting.aspx
    Last edited by Boomer; 09-13-2010 at 09:47 PM.

09-15-2010, 07:45 AM #73

Dead money crew.....what is up?

Been a little too long eh? Football season is hear, love it, go Stillers! Dennis Dixon 1-0.....I like it alot...would have been cooler if the monster Ray Lewis didn't scare the shit out of Sanchez or "The Mexican quarterback" southern thing. The Jets are the Jets, they are going to get every bodies best every Sunday. I think they are in for a rough season.

Siri....stuck in the mud. After reading the post about Stern leaving I start to worry about some of the dire hards. I have been out for a good while and I think its crazy risky....this coming from a guy who owns two stocks, FAZ..triple inverse short on banks..lol....FXP...short on China...currently getting an ass whipping around 33. FAZ though has also underperformed recently, I have picked at 13.15 and 12.90ish. I am all in and waiting for a nice spike. If anyone is feeling lucky I would pick some off....its due.

Never take advise from a guy who says,"Its due". Loser montra...lol.

Asia was somewhat mixed, Europe looks weak and our futures are a little red. Faz is due and when it pops it moves in leaps and bounds. Good Luck.

Look out Tennessee, our defense is feeling disrespected, I hope Chris Johnson runs into Harrison, Woodley, Timmons, Smith, Farrior, hell maybe even Foote!
    Greatest time of the year, last weeks college games were amazing! The running back from USC Lattimore is a beast, 186 rushing and 2 tds, true freshman from the Pee Dee region of SC, this kid is a tackle breaking machine. Worth watching some video of, the ass whipping they gave Georgia.

Good luck all.
    Dennis Dixon......screw Rapersberger!

Legend
    09-15-2010, 01:02 PM #74
    As usual your timing is impeccable. "Siri.... stuck in the mud." LOL.

You must be hurting pretty bad in the market given what you have said
    about the end of the world huh?

Guru
    09-15-2010, 01:03 PM #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    Been a little too long eh? Football season is hear, love it, go Stillers! Dennis Dixon 1-0.....I like it alot...would have been cooler if the monster Ray Lewis didn't scare the shit out of Sanchez or "The Mexican quarterback" southern thing. The Jets are the Jets, they are going to get every bodies best every Sunday. I think they are in for a rough season.

Siri....stuck in the mud. After reading the post about Stern leaving I start to worry about some of the dire hards. I have been out for a good while and I think its crazy risky....this coming from a guy who owns two stocks, FAZ..triple inverse short on banks..lol....FXP...short on China...currently getting an ass whipping around 33. FAZ though has also underperformed recently, I have picked at 13.15 and 12.90ish. I am all in and waiting for a nice spike. If anyone is feeling lucky I would pick some off....its due.

Never take advise from a guy who says,"Its due". Loser montra...lol.

Asia was somewhat mixed, Europe looks weak and our futures are a little red. Faz is due and when it pops it moves in leaps and bounds. Good Luck.

Look out Tennessee, our defense is feeling disrespected, I hope Chris Johnson runs into Harrison, Woodley, Timmons, Smith, Farrior, hell maybe even Foote!
    Greatest time of the year, last weeks college games were amazing! The running back from USC Lattimore is a beast, 186 rushing and 2 tds, true freshman from the Pee Dee region of SC, this kid is a tackle breaking machine. Worth watching some video of, the ass whipping they gave Georgia.

Good luck all.
    Dennis Dixon......screw Rapersberger!
    Hey Big Ben - I was wondering why SIRI was up a nickel today!!!!

I took my own advise. After the earnings season wound down (which was good as I predicted), I sold my long positions. Did ok. But then I bought a short position in SPXU. Well, that was a mistake. I would have been better off HOLDING. Didn't see all this "good news" coming lol. Harrisburg, PA was bailed out by the State of PA. Had they defaulted, it would have rocked the market. So it's on to next on the list.

Yes, football is upon us. Thank goodness the Steelers came through for me last week. It was too close for comfort, but I had faith in their D at home.

Lattimore is a stud. I wish PSU had a chance at him. Did you see that back up RB from Alabama? Christ, he's stronger than any lineman on the PSU line.

How's the grass cutting business these days?

Mentor
    09-15-2010, 03:11 PM #76
    looks like Mel hit one outta the park today at BOA presentation . .

Mentor
    09-15-2010, 03:12 PM #77
    Sirius XM CEO Mel Karmazin still confident Howard Stern will sign new deal
    September 15, 2010 | 9:48 am

Sirius XM Chief Executive Mel Karmazin said he remains optimistic about signing a new deal to keep Howard Stern on the satellite radio service, but warned that should the shock jock bolt, some subscribers might leave with him.

Speaking at the Bank of America/Merrill Lynch Media, Communications & Entertainment Conference, Karmazin praised Stern, with whom he's worked closely for decades.

"He's been a fabulous partner ... he has enabled companies to make a lot of money," Karmazin said. Stern's current contract expires at the end of the year, and he has, as he always does when one of his deals is nearing expiration, been dropping hints on his show that it may be time to walk away. Karmazin said he doesn't want to negotiate in public with Stern, but he noted that Sirius XM has successfully renewed several high-profile contracts recently, including those with Oprah Winfrey and Martha Stewart, and that he is "very confident" about getting Stern to stick around.

Stern sent shock waves through the radio industry in 2005 when left CBS Radio for Sirius. Karmazin, who has worked with Stern dating back to the 1980s at Infinity Radio and later at CBS, came to the satellite radio company soon after Stern made the leap.

One of the reasons Stern left over-the-air radio for the satellite service, besides a huge pay day, was freedom from Federal Communications Commission regulations. Stern's radio show was often a target of the regulatory agency, which fined radio stations millions of dollars in connection with Stern's racy program. Stern has indicated that he does not have a desire to return to terrestrial radio. He could conceivably try to go solo and launch his own digital platform.

As for Sirius XM, which has almost 20 million subscribers, Karmazin downplayed the idea that there would be an exodus of subscribers should Stern leave.

"They may have come for Howard, they may love Howard ... but they listen to other channels," he said.

As for what Stern is looking for in a new deal, Karmazin would not divulge details, saying only that Stern is "compensated very fairly." When Stern joined Sirius in 2005, his contract was valued at $500 million, but that also included the costs of producing the show.

Mentor
    09-15-2010, 03:14 PM #78
    "They may have come for Howard, they may love Howard ... but they listen to other channels," Mel said.

Siri does monitor what people listen to . . and they do have the #'s . . . which is where I believe Tuna Amobi gets his magical out-of-thin-air estimates from.

Mentor
    09-15-2010, 03:20 PM #79
    Sirius XM Affirms 2010 Outlook.
    By Eric Savitz

Sirius XM (SIRI) CEO Mel Karmazin today affirmed the company’s previous guidance for 2010, which calls for revenue approaching $2.8 billion, adjusted EBITDA of about $575 million and almost 20 million subscribers. Karmazin spoke today at the Bank of America/Merrill Lynch conference in San Francisco.

According to slides prepared for the presentation, Karmazin said satellite radio service this year is being offered on about 60% of cars sold in the U.S., up from 55% last year.

Sirius also says it now expects year-end cash of $430 million; Karmazin also noted that the company has no significant debt maturing before 2013.

SIRI is up 6 cents, or 5.7%, to $1.11.

Page 8 of 19 ... 67891018 ...