Page 1 of 2 12
    04-22-2010, 12:58 AM #1

What kind of nonsense is THIS?

Sirius sounded good, so we bought a new car receiver and Sirius tuner and just had them installed. Ok, so I go to sign up, browse some, and see that they have a $6.99 a mo Ala Carte plan, where I dont have to buy things I dont like or use, like Howard Stern or sports. Great!

So I go to subscribe, put in my radio code and car model ( cant figure why they need THAT ) and try to pick that plan, and it says it's not available for my radio! What?! This sounds like bait & switch! How the F would it not be available for my radio?! It comes down from the satellite on the radio waves. What's the problem?!

I'm tempted to sell this tuner now, on Craig's list and just play MP3's. Boy am I burned up!!!

04-22-2010, 03:41 AM #2

A La Carte

Melissa,

Sorry to hear your story. The A La Carte programming is only available on certain radios.

The site does state that an A La Carte radio is required for this level of service.
    http://www.sirius.com/packages/more#alacarte

If you click on the link in the description, it points you to a Starmate 5, which is the A La Carte Radio.

The programming is good. Try the Starmate 5, or try the full line-up. You can block out Stern if you want.

04-22-2010, 05:29 PM #3
    Quote Originally Posted by SSG View Post
    Melissa,

Sorry to hear your story. The A La Carte programming is only available on certain radios.

The site does state that an A La Carte radio is required for this level of service.
    http://www.sirius.com/packages/more#alacarte

If you click on the link in the description, it points you to a Starmate 5, which is the A La Carte Radio.

The programming is good. Try the Starmate 5, or try the full line-up. You can block out Stern if you want.
    We already bought and installed the right radio to fit the dash of our car, a Sony.

The impression I'm getting is that they just want to charge more because we live in the big city.
    Last edited by Melissa2010B; 04-22-2010 at 06:30 PM.

04-22-2010, 06:37 PM #4
    Melissa,

That is not the case at all. There are very few a la carte capable radios on the market, and your in dash unit would not be one of them. If I were you I would stick to the full line-up and grab a better price by subscribing for a year. typically you get some free months by doing that.

04-22-2010, 06:48 PM #5
    Quote Originally Posted by SSG View Post
    Melissa,

That is not the case at all. There are very few a la carte capable radios on the market, and your in dash unit would not be one of them. If I were you I would stick to the full line-up and grab a better price by subscribing for a year. typically you get some free months by doing that.
    It looks like the price is the same by the year or by the quarter, and they wont even charge by the month.

Mentor
    04-22-2010, 07:06 PM #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Melissa2010B View Post
    Sirius sounded good, so we bought a new car receiver and Sirius tuner and just had them installed. Ok, so I go to sign up, browse some, and see that they have a $6.99 a mo Ala Carte plan, where I dont have to buy things I dont like or use, like Howard Stern or sports. Great!

So I go to subscribe, put in my radio code and car model ( cant figure why they need THAT ) and try to pick that plan, and it says it's not available for my radio! What?! This sounds like bait & switch! How the F would it not be available for my radio?! It comes down from the satellite on the radio waves. What's the problem?!

I'm tempted to sell this tuner now, on Craig's list and just play MP3's. Boy am I burned up!!!
    Charles?

Tyler?

Is that you??

04-22-2010, 08:49 PM #7
    I'm trying to activate this, so I jump through all the hoops online ( they told me I'd save money that way, over calling them but it still says it's charging a $15 startup fee, how am I saving money? ) then it gets to the final page and says I gotta have the radio turned on and on channel 184. I have no idea how to get channel 184 because the radio ( Sony sat ready ) has no instructions how to tune that channel and the numbered buttons only go 1-6 ). So I turn the radio on and manage to switch to Sirius mode and it has ads on there. I run back in here and hit the activate key and nothing happens out there, it continues to say to call the 800 number to activate ( which the installers told me yesterday was so busy that they couldnt get through ). Does Sirius like to aggravate people to death before they even get activated?

04-30-2010, 08:38 PM #8

What kind of nonsense is THIS

i love what im hearing so why cant this channel be on xm ??? I know it was on xm 2 years ago and they dropped it they should bring it back
    Last edited by maestroabn; 05-29-2010 at 02:13 PM.

06-18-2010, 02:36 AM #9
    I do agree, that's BS that they have that capability, but yet limit it to one (1) excessively expensive receiver just to make more money. I mean, it's just as easy to provision different channels for different receivers with any receiver. Otherwise, they couldn't have the Mostly Music and SIRIUS/XM Everything packages separately except for certain radios. I mean, look at satellite TV. DISH and DIRECTV have been able to individually select programming from the start, based on the receivers on an account and what they individually subscribe to. Otherwise, we would all be receiving the same local channels, and the exact same channel lineup (the Top 200 on DISH, or the CHOICE XTRA on D*V) unless we had the most expensive, extravagant receiver they offered.

Sheesh!
    </rant>

Guru
    06-18-2010, 08:06 AM #10
    Wow, I've activated more than 6 radio's without an issue. Because one broke, I had to replace it. It wasn't a pleasant experience. SIRI tried to charge me a transfer fee - I'd told them to "f" in a polite way. I've been a subscriber for 6 years now; they aren't going to pump me for miscellanous fees. They "waived" them, but it took some time. Thankfully, the gal I spoke with spoke good english.

Page 1 of 2 12