Page 7 of 17 ... 56789 ...
    Mentor
    10-27-2009, 10:22 PM #61
    lol,

I already live with a woman, so no change there. We are just moving literally a few steps away. Someone moved out of the neighboring apt, and it's much quieter, a little larger, and a little nicer. The guy next to us was worried that another one of the neighbors would move into it, in which case, he would leave. Since he's the #1 guy (handyman, etc.) next to the landlord, the landlord offered it to us first.

RE: on the OCNF - the other day, I was looking for breakouts in the ships. They all rallied up to the point of breaking out of their various patterns, then about half broke out, but reversed the same day, and back into their patterns. I was all ready, but since they reversed, I stayed out. Today, they all broke south, many to the bottom of their patterns... so they are still in a trading range. I think I like waiting till the end of the day better, so you can see what type of candle is going to be printed. In this case, it saved me from a poor entry. I had about 3 of those guys picked out. We'll see how it goes, for OCNF, it would have been nicer to have a hammer today.

In the meantime, I have been shrinking my ticker list - I just drew trendlines for these pennies, those that broke south, I sold, those that held and went north, I still have.

It's earnings season, so a lot of interesting plays. The moving kind of sucks though, as it's getting in the way. One thing I was looking to do was a few option strangles... just buy a call and put on the same thing the day before earnings. If there is a huge move, then you win. If there is a minor move, you just cut out the next day. You can lose I figure 75% - theoretically can get to 95% - on the bad trade, but more on the good trade. ie. I was looking for AAPL and AMZN, but missed the dates due to the move and trip to phoenix. AAPL would have given a minor gain, but AMZN went 492% in the good direction (call) and about -80% for the bad (put). So the gain for 1 pair of contracts was about $1600, which isn't bad for the small amount you put in - ie. there was a about $1900 to the good side, -$300 on the bad. I tried to get FSLR set up today, I got one of the contracts. I'll get the other tomorrow, then they report AH. If there isn't a huge move, then you basically will lose the time decay, and maybe a little extra. AMZN was an extreme case of the strategy working out. Unfortunately, we are pretty far from expiration at this point. Last season was when I first got into this, and AAPL had reported the day before expiration, or the day of, and I had pulled the cord before hand, and then saw how it all works... where the good side was up 600%. Anyway, I'll likely end up losing on these, but it's worth a shot... I just have to scour who's reporting when.

10-27-2009, 10:32 PM #62

Hey Bill, Jeff, and I see Dr D!!

OCNF and MESA look ripe, but I could not pull the trigger today. Trying to be patient, but not to patient lol!

Here is a good read from a goldman anal on housing:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aVyvAuFInq_Y

ESLR is another one that is starting to look good too.

Personally since we are getting closer to the end of the year, I am becoming more cautious. The fundamentals have not changed in this market, but seeing those 100 point swings last week brought back some good / bad memories.

Good luck out there everyone!!! Now off to the pumpkin patch to wait for the great pumpkin.

10-27-2009, 10:46 PM #63

round 3 for GMAC

When will it end?

NEW YORK (AP) - GMAC Financial Services is in talks with the Treasury Department for a third injection of taxpayer aid as the auto lender faces a November deadline to raise the $11.5 billion capital cushion mandated by results of the government's "stress test" earlier this year.

A Treasury Department spokesman confirmed Tuesday that GMAC is in discussions about securing additional government help.

Of the 19 banks that underwent the government's stress tests, 10 were determined to be undercapitalized. GMAC is the only one of those to not have been able to raise all of its necessary capital from investors.

Citing unnamed people familiar with the matter, The Wall Street Journal reported on its Web site late Tuesday that the U.S. government could hand over another $2.8 billion to $5.6 billion to Detroit-based GMAC. The move would make GMAC the only U.S. company to receive three rounds of bailout aid.

GMAC spokeswoman Gina Proia declined to comment.
    http://apnews.myway.com/article/20091028/D9BJQFA00.html

And this too:

That means a tough year for the auto industry has turned into an especially trying one for Jeep, Dodge and Chrysler dealers. Sales are down almost 40 percent versus 27 percent for the industry. Dealers have seen a quarter of their ranks purged since June, when the automaker left bankruptcy protection. They're facing shortages of some current models because Chrysler shut its factories for much of the summer.

For now, Chrysler's fate and the livelihood of its remaining 2,400 dealers hang by a thread of government aid. Taxpayer money, around $15 billion, will have to keep the company afloat until its new management, Italian car company Fiat SpA, finds a winning strategy for Chrysler following two unsuccessful ownerships in the last 11 years.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20091027/D9BJMBFO1.html

Mentor
    10-28-2009, 12:30 AM #64
    Quote Originally Posted by dread View Post
    OCNF and MESA look ripe, but I could not pull the trigger today. Trying to be patient, but not to patient lol!

Here is a good read from a goldman anal on housing:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aVyvAuFInq_Y

ESLR is another one that is starting to look good too.

Personally since we are getting closer to the end of the year, I am becoming more cautious. The fundamentals have not changed in this market, but seeing those 100 point swings last week brought back some good / bad memories.

Good luck out there everyone!!! Now off to the pumpkin patch to wait for the great pumpkin.
    Hey man -

What's up?

I just looked at the ESLR chart - it's right on the line - lets see if it breaks back above????

Mentor
    10-28-2009, 12:33 AM #65
    Man -

I go out of town, then move - I've been away from the charts too long... so here's the TA standpoint on shipping.

Last I reported, I was looking for the BDI to head into resistance at 3000...
    Looks like there's a possibility of a little turn:

Also, looks like the SHX - which holds the shipping stocks we normally trade - hit a 5, and is heading down to a trendline. Previously, it flashed a couple of hammers on that line, lets see what happens...

Mentor
    10-28-2009, 12:37 AM #66
    SEA also turning around after a breakout. Could retest the line.

Transports also falling back... but also have higher highs and higher lows at this point.

Mentor
    10-28-2009, 12:38 AM #67
    Moving/building stocks...

CAT reached its flag target, and reversed at even number resistance...

PACR, which I bailed out of after it broke it's slightly higher trendline looks to have a possible reversal candle on the $3 mark. So, who knows, I may get back in that one. Done ok so far with it.

Mentor
    10-28-2009, 12:40 AM #68

Actual ships...

Some examples (see previous thread) - where these guys either were lined up to breakout, or did and reversed...

Mentor
    10-28-2009, 12:40 AM #69

GNK was one I was on the trigger to buy, but waited for the end of the day... it reversed.

Mentor
    10-28-2009, 12:42 AM #70
    Leader ISH still in the channel...

This guy didn't break out of its highly angled triangle.. steep angles don't make good plays anyway.

Page 7 of 17 ... 56789 ...