Addict
    09-14-2009, 01:24 PM #1

Oil itself is a problem

http://www.jewishpolicycenter.org/14...f-is-a-problem

An interview with the former head of the CIA about energy policy.

Addict
    09-14-2009, 01:53 PM #2
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/09/sc...09climate.html

Climate change as a threat to US security. Some more opinions.

Addict
    09-14-2009, 02:06 PM #3
    Quote Originally Posted by lloyd Handwerker View Post
    http://www.jewishpolicycenter.org/14...f-is-a-problem

An interview with the former head of the CIA about energy policy.
    "But, its also possible now to do what i do, and drive a plug-in-hybrid. That will be increasingly possible in the years to come. This will electrify a portion of our vehicle transportation. We will produce the electricity from renewable such as solar, wind, geothermal and the like. I think that in the long-run solar will be the dominant renewable technology for electricity gneration."

In other words people who say the technology and cost effeciencies for hybrids and hybrid plug-ins are 20 years away dont know what they are talking about it. Somehow i think the former head of the CIA knows a little more about the subject of energy and our security than someone who only listens to fox news.

Mentor
    09-14-2009, 10:45 PM #4
    Lloyd

Agree and disagree with you! Yes, hybrids, EV vehicles are becoming more popular and yes, they probably will continue to increase even more in the coming years...No problem here!

Where I disagree with you is on Solar and Wind...I stated to you once before...City Public Service in San Antonio, the city owned utility, is one of the largest buyers of renewable energy in the country and has been for many years. CPS has had one of the lowest cost per KW/hour @ .09...However, due to the push from the eco-nazis...our cost for electricity is going to rise by 2.5 to 3% per year for the next 10 years at a minimum...WHY...because wind and solar are still unreliable and cost prohibitive at this time! Will they become more cost effective...short term...NO...Long term...maybe! One thing is they will remain unreliable for some time! So, in the mean time we cont to use coal, natural gas, and oil! We have recently completed one of the cleanest burning coal fired power plants in the world and a second one is coming on line next year! CAP and TRADE is going to destroy the underprivledged, the elderly, and lower middle class. The number of families below the poverty line is going to increase...and you only have the eco-nazis, left wing liberals, and President Obama to blame! Nuclear is the ultimate way to go for cheap, reproducible energy...expensive up front...but very cheap for years to follow!

BTW- my wife has worked for CPS for 26 years, so I do know alittle something about energy!

Addict
    09-15-2009, 01:27 AM #5
    Did you read the Woolsley interview? What did you think about what he said.?
    I have always talked about alternative energy for the long term. I am positive about its future so we will have to disagree i quess about its potential, but i appreciate your opinion and experience of your wife.