Page 1 of 2 12
    11-29-2007, 06:31 PM #1

Sl100

Last edited by ilovesiriusmusi; 12-09-2007 at 11:04 AM.

Head Honcho
    11-29-2007, 09:09 PM #2
    I will not continue to work if you listen to it. If you only turn it on to check to see if it is still working it will not be able to receive the update from the satellite to shut it off. In other words...it is not a flaw at all. Go ahead and leave it turned on and you will see that it will in fact deactivate.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

11-30-2007, 01:45 AM #3
    I currently have an old Clarion PNP Tuner, that I believe slipped through the cracks and never received a deactivation signal when I canceled one of my subs. Partly because, I didn't turn it on until 8 months after I deactivated it. When I was considering reactivation,I powered it up. To my surprise it was still active. I double checked the billing. No bills for that unit. It still works today

Head Honcho
    11-30-2007, 01:57 AM #4
    Have you left it on for a few hours straight?
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

11-30-2007, 12:00 PM #5
    The Stiletto updated all of the channels the day I put up the site. It has worked every time I turn it on for both Satellite or Internet radio.

I left the Stiletto on yesterday afternoon for an hour (Satellite) and also decided to turn it back on last night for four hours (2 Satellite/2Internet) to test your theory. The Stiletto still works. Once again, this is not the same issue with old deactivated units.

Sirius has been contacted and I fully intend to demonstrate proof of concept. So until then I think folks should stop speculating what it is and let me do my job.
    Last edited by ilovesiriusmusi; 11-30-2007 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Edited to say Sirius was contacted

11-30-2007, 12:02 PM #6
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    Have you left it on for a few hours straight?
    Have you read the thread on Sirius Backstage Forum? The problem YOU are talking about is widespread and some units are working up to three years after deactivation. Once again, this vulnerability is completely different. I was able to activate the unit bypassing the Satellites first, tricking the receiver into believing it was activated, and permitting Channel and Software updates to download.

Head Honcho
    11-30-2007, 12:51 PM #7
    No I have not.

So, you are telling us that you have manually changed something that has activated your new receiver? Why not tell everyone? How would it hurt Sirius? They might sell a few more units to people wanting to get it free and once they do Sirius can release a patch a month or so later...turning all of those pirates into customers.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Head Honcho
    11-30-2007, 03:15 PM #8

deactivation

Deactivation signals are sent out periodically, and at some point a receiver that is not being paid for will be shut out of the system. Sirius nor XM send out all deactivation bursts constantly.

I have in the past had both XM and Sirius receivers that have gotten "free" service for a period of time, but ultimately, they do get deactivated.
    Tyler Savery
    Satellite Standard Founder

12-01-2007, 12:37 PM #9

Sirius Response

I was able to talk with an executive at Sirius yesterday about the issue. I have posted an update on the site that I think ALL SUBSCRIBERS would find very interesting to read. I think the fact that the higher ups are contacting me means I have definitely found something. Don't you?

Head Honcho
    12-02-2007, 03:11 PM #10
    Either that or they are getting ready present you with a C&D because what you are spreading around the internet is unfounded and damaging to their company.

I am not saying that is what they are doing but it sure is a possibility.

That being said...I still think you should release this security vulnerability
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Page 1 of 2 12