Page 12 of 37 ... 2101112131422 ...
    Addict
    08-11-2009, 04:42 PM #111
    Quote Originally Posted by candleman View Post
    I think some people are confused about investing.

To invest is to put your money into something that you think will grow in value.

Quite often, I invest in a stock and after 30 minutes, it grows in value and I sell it. That is my meaning of investing.

I invest in Sirrius almost everyday. I think I've made far more money from Sirrius using my method of investing than some people who buy and hold. In fact, I know I have.

Investing is a personal thing.

It was a great investment to buy Sirrius at 10 cents and sell it at 40 cents, then buy it 25, and sell it 45, and buy it 32 and sell it 59, and so on and so on.

Sometimes you miss a small move, but in the end, you can profit from investing on a daily basis.

That works for me. It may not work for everybody. There are no right ways, just wrong ways. But, we are all individuals and what works for me may not work for you. But, we are all investors.

So, don't worry, be happy, and invest!

Yikes, that's a silly way to put things. But think about it for awhile and it almost makes sense.
    You are wrong, you are not an investor, you are a trader.

Investing: The act of committing money or capital to an endeavor (a business, project, real estate, etc.) with the expectation of obtaining an additional income or profit. Investing also can include the amount of time you put into the study of a prospective company, especially since time is money.

Trading: To find situations in which a stock has this extraordinary potential to move in such a short time frame. This is mainly used by at-home and day traders. Large institutions trade in sizes too big to move in and out of stocks quickly. The individual trader is able to exploit the short-term stock movements without the competition of major traders.

Mentor
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    08-11-2009, 04:45 PM #112
    Quote Originally Posted by Siriusowner View Post
    You are wrong, you are not an investor, you are a trader.

Investing: The act of committing money or capital to an endeavor (a business, project, real estate, etc.) with the expectation of obtaining an additional income or profit. Investing also can include the amount of time you put into the study of a prospective company, especially since time is money.

Trading: To find situations in which a stock has this extraordinary potential to move in such a short time frame. This is mainly used by at-home and day traders. Large institutions trade in sizes too big to move in and out of stocks quickly. The individual trader is able to exploit the short-term stock movements without the competition of major traders.
    I don't think so! Using your definition of investing doesn't speak of any time frame for the investment. Therefore if someone studies a stock and invests in it, then makes his money and sells it...that's an investor. At least according to your definition.

Addict
    08-11-2009, 04:55 PM #113
    Quote Originally Posted by candleman View Post
    I don't think so! Using your definition of investing doesn't speak of any time frame for the investment. Therefore if someone studies a stock and invests in it, then makes his money and sells it...that's an investor. At least according to your definition.
    Those "investors" that buy and sell in 30 minute intervals are called traders NOT investors.

ps: you can call them however you want I dont care. But you will be wrong.

Here are some web sites that confirm my definitions:

http://rantaboutit.blogspot.com/2007...ifference.html

http://stocks.about.com/od/tradingba...trad013105.htm

http://ezinearticles.com/?Trader-Ver...ce?&id=1318438 (I liked that he says, the traders own nothing !)

There are more out there...
    Last edited by Siriusowner; 08-11-2009 at 05:08 PM.

08-11-2009, 05:33 PM #114
    Those "investors" that buy and sell in 30 minute intervals are called traders NOT investors.

ps: you can call them however you want I dont care. But you will be wrong.

Here are some web sites that confirm my definitions:

http://rantaboutit.blogspot.com/2007...ifference.html

http://stocks.about.com/od/tradingba...trad013105.htm

http://ezinearticles.com/?Trader-Ver...ce?&id=1318438 (I liked that he says, the traders own nothing !)

There are more out there...

Are we really arguing about semantics?! Who gives a sh!t. How much time did you "invest" in finding those websites to support an argument about semantics?

Addict
    08-11-2009, 06:05 PM #115
    Quote Originally Posted by toxdoc View Post
    Are we really arguing about semantics?! Who gives a sh!t. How much time did you "invest" in finding those websites to support an argument about semantics?
    Not more than what you spent typing your reply. So, therefore, we did find someone who gives a shit... you.
    Last edited by Siriusowner; 08-11-2009 at 06:09 PM.

08-11-2009, 06:17 PM #116
    Not more than what you spent typing your reply. So, therefore, we did find someone who gives a shit... you.
    Wow, you're good. You found, read, and posted all those links in 10 seconds! I guess it was a good investment of your time

Mentor
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    08-11-2009, 06:36 PM #117
    LOL Hey Doc, I know I don't give a hoot! I just like making money. And you can call that whatever you want to!

I was just simply pointing out that we are all investors. Some people refer to some of us as traders and somehow that has a negative feeling to it.

But, in the end, we're all in it for the money. Have a good one!

Head Honcho
    08-11-2009, 06:52 PM #118
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    hey I am willing to go as far as saying I think the thirties are gone but I dont think I would go as far as saying that about the forties or even as low as the low forties.
    Ditto, I think the low forties are coming and although I am not sure... I cant say I would be surprised by the thirties.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

08-11-2009, 08:12 PM #119
    I haven't seen anyone say anything about the gaps that are still open. A one cent gap from .45 to .46 that was left open on 8/3 before the CC. You know this stock fills any gap of a penny or more. Always has for the last 5 years! lol So, you want the mid .40's?, then that's where you gotta look, at .45.

And if you want to get really technical, although it's not a one cent gap, it almost is, as there is still a small gapper down in the .30's at .3787, on 7/22 that was left open from the day before when SIRI closed at 37 flat. You want the 30's?, then that's where you gotta look also, at .37.

Guru
    08-11-2009, 09:43 PM #120
    Wow, you're good. You found, read, and posted all those links in 10 seconds! I guess it was a good investment of your time
    No, it was a good trading of his time.

Page 12 of 37 ... 2101112131422 ...