Page 72 of 78 ... 22627071727374 ...
    Mentor
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    08-07-2009, 01:00 PM #711
    Quote Originally Posted by bdp View Post
    Sirius closes at .51, opens at .53, closes at .51 etc... What do you think?
    I think buy 10000 at .51 and sell 10000 at .53 sort of seems like a no brainer to me. Hold your core of course, but trade and make some vacation money while you can!

Mentor
    08-07-2009, 01:20 PM #712
    We've sort of flat lined at 50 cents for the last hour and a half......I hope that doesn't mean we're dead.

Guru
    08-07-2009, 01:26 PM #713
    yeah what the heck does that mean .499 .499 .4999

Enthusiast
    08-07-2009, 01:33 PM #714
    I just got to thinking about cell phone, cable TV, Broadband service, etc. All these are now considered to be necessities and are slowly creeping down in price

Quote Originally Posted by jonpluc@aol.com View Post
    Where are you buying these things? My iphone is more expensive this 2 year contract then last, not less, my cable bill is far more expensive not less.
    Metro PCS has a $40/mth nationwide unlimited calling, Prepaid wireless is going to unlimited as well. Cable companies are having to compete with Sat, wireless and phone companies bringing digital TV to the home. I am able to get extended basic on Dish, 2 DVRs and local channels for $43/mth. (Granted they had to beat the other offers to keep my business) I get my broadband for $39/mth.

So the question is could SXM box out the competition and get to 60 to 80 mil subscribers quicker at say $5 or $6 per mth as opposed to struggling to maintain approximately 20mil at $13/th? It is a price elasticity question and I am sure they have run the models, but just wondering what the thought is from investors on this board.

Mentor
    08-07-2009, 01:34 PM #715
    Quote Originally Posted by imromo24 View Post
    yeah what the heck does that mean .499 .499 .4999
    I'm hopeful that this means we are finding a new bottom of 50 cents. This is quite different than last quarter.

Mentor
    08-07-2009, 01:41 PM #716
    Quote Originally Posted by Siriustunes View Post
    I just got to thinking about cell phone, cable TV, Broadband service, etc. All these are now considered to be necessities and are slowly creeping down in price

Metro PCS has a $40/mth nationwide unlimited calling, Prepaid wireless is going to unlimited as well. Cable companies are having to compete with Sat, wireless and phone companies bringing digital TV to the home. I am able to get extended basic on Dish, 2 DVRs and local channels for $43/mth. (Granted they had to beat the other offers to keep my business) I get my broadband for $39/mth.

So the question is could SXM box out the competition and get to 60 to 80 mil subscribers quicker at say $5 or $6 per mth as opposed to struggling to maintain approximately 20mil at $13/th? It is a price elasticity question and I am sure they have run the models, but just wondering what the thought is from investors on this board.
    Ok, this is my deal.

I actually don't subscribe to Sirrius because I ride a bike as my commuting vehicle of choice. In my house I listen to my choice of 3 Public Radio stations which give me all the news, talk, folk, jazz, bluegrass, and blues music that I need. AND because of the subscription price of the Sirrius service.
    Now, if the subscription was say......6 or 7 bucks a month, and I could pull the content off of the internet, I would be a subscriber.
    So, you're right! I know I'm not alone in my frugality. There are millions of potential customers that might come on board if the rate was lower and the distribution methods were expanded.
    The question is, would Sirrius make any more profit by doing these things.

Guru
    08-07-2009, 01:46 PM #717
    Quote Originally Posted by candleman View Post
    I'm hopeful that this means we are finding a new bottom of 50 cents. This is quite different than last quarter.
    the other perspective would be a marble rolling to the edge of a table...

the volume looked super low during that stretch, man i wish i knew more about this stuff, it has to be a signal

Head Honcho
    08-07-2009, 01:48 PM #718
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Hey folks,
    Anyone know how much seasonality there is to Sirius? Are the third and forth quarters typically stronger than the first and second? The economy is definitely a factor this year, so seasonality may have nothing to do with it, but I'm trying to get a better idea as to EBITA for the year.

They're at $242 million year to date, with $132 in the second quarter. So even matching the second quarter for the next two puts Sirius at $504 million in EBITA. With Cash for Clunkers, general auto turnaround, waning recession, and new products, could $600 million be realistic? One thing to consider is SAC going up as sales go up, so that will eat into the EBITA.

What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance...
    Brad.....

Here is where caution is required. If auto sales and production step up substantially, it will carry a negative impact on EBITDA because of the costs. Don't forget, that a promotional subscriber costs money, and the company needs that sub to stay on for a year to see a return on their investment.

EBITDA should be over $400 million without an issue. It could even push $500 million. Remember, production was slowed substantially in Q1 and Q2. This helped EBITDA. That situation will not exist in Q3 and Q4
    Tyler Savery
    Satellite Standard Founder

08-07-2009, 01:54 PM #719
    Quote Originally Posted by TSavery View Post
    Brad.....

Here is where caution is required. If auto sales and production step up substantially, it will carry a negative impact on EBITDA because of the costs. Don't forget, that a promotional subscriber costs money, and the company needs that sub to stay on for a year to see a return on their investment.

EBITDA should be over $400 million without an issue. It could even push $500 million. Remember, production was slowed substantially in Q1 and Q2. This helped EBITDA. That situation will not exist in Q3 and Q4
    Tyler, have you done any modeling on that? Can you predict the impact on EBITA based on different growth scenarios in the auto business? Not trying to make you do any work, just curious if there is a reasonable formula.

Thanks

Mentor
    08-07-2009, 02:06 PM #720
    Quote Originally Posted by imromo24 View Post
    the other perspective would be a marble rolling to the edge of a table...

the volume looked super low during that stretch, man i wish i knew more about this stuff, it has to be a signal
    The volume is even lower now at .4951

Page 72 of 78 ... 22627071727374 ...