06-14-2009, 06:39 PM #1

What is best for in-home use?

Hi All,

I'm considering adding Sirius to my in home surround sound system. Right now I have a Onkyo receiver that's around six years old. Should I add a home connect kit to use my Sportster 5 with the Onkyo or should I replace the Onkyo with a newer receiver that has Sirius "built in"? Does anyone have any experience with the newer receivers that have satellite "buit-in"? Also, just how good is the PNP indoor/outdoor antennae? Would it be worth it to upgrade to the outdoor antennae? I live just outside of Augusta, Georgia (west side) if the geography matters.

Thanks for any comments!

Enthusiast
    06-14-2009, 07:20 PM #2
    Quote Originally Posted by FastFrankie View Post
    Hi All,

I'm considering adding Sirius to my in home surround sound system. Right now I have a Onkyo receiver that's around six years old. Should I add a home connect kit to use my Sportster 5 with the Onkyo or should I replace the Onkyo with a newer receiver that has Sirius "built in"? Does anyone have any experience with the newer receivers that have satellite "buit-in"? Also, just how good is the PNP indoor/outdoor antennae? Would it be worth it to upgrade to the outdoor antennae? I live just outside of Augusta, Georgia (west side) if the geography matters.

Thanks for any comments!
    Whatever you do, buying another Onkyo or using your Sportster 5, you'll still need to use an antenna facing toward a Northwest Window, or the open sky, you can use your Sportster 5, just hook that up to your Onkyo's input jack, and use the Sporster 5's Home Dock kit, along with the remote, and wolla your all set , easy Huh?
    Last edited by denb45; 06-14-2009 at 10:16 PM.

Enthusiast
    06-15-2009, 12:27 PM #3
    denb45 is right. Either way you have to use his suggestion for the antenna. Now the thing I want you to consider is this. You can use your current receiver and get a home kit for it and you would have to control your Sirius channels through the Sportster 5 itself. Or you could upgrade to a newer surround sound unit that is satellite ready and get a direct connect for your Sportster 5 that would allow you to operate the Sirius channels through the sat ready surround sound unit. Either way should be sufficient enough and will let you hear Sirius inside your home, the question is what kind of integration do you want to have?

06-16-2009, 08:30 PM #4
    Thanks, Guys. Does the PNP home indoor/outdoor antennae have a longer cord, or an extension cord available? My surround sound is in the middle of the house. I would need an extra 20 feet or so so that I could route it through the crawl space and back up to a window with a NW exposure. Sorry for the feeble questions but I'm a novice with the satellite stuff. And, I'm an old dog - the new tricks don't come as easy as they used to!

06-16-2009, 08:33 PM #5
    Oops, sorry. Just saw the Terk extension cable on the TSS site.

Enthusiast
    06-17-2009, 10:59 AM #6
    Yup, you're on the right track with that cable. I would also suggest going with an outdoor home antenna and the extension cable as well. Here is the link: http://www.tss-radio.com/outdoor-hom...age-p-289.html This will give you up to 80 ft of cable and still be able to get the best signal possible.