Page 7 of 9 ... 56789
    Guru
    05-23-2009, 12:44 PM #61
    Quote Originally Posted by SD-08 View Post
    DON"T spend hundreds of millions of dollars starting a marketing campaign when you haven't even finished recreating your image and product, ALL for a few extra subs because the economy sucks. (because BTW, once you START a big marketing campaign, you NEVER stop)

SIRIUS will be $350m EBIDA positive with less than 9 mil autos sold AND a 2.4% self pay churn AND no IPHONE app. So just let it happen. Stay lean, cut costs, & continue on the BIG plan (if you don't think they have a big plan than you're not paying attention).

I think that alone makes us money. When the auto sales return, we'll be ready and running smooth. Our saturation rate will be much higher and we'll be making money..............

GIVEN THAT,,,,,,I do believe some INCREDIBLE things are on the way and it will ALL be thanks to MEL. You Mel haters will be eating your words........
    Well said.

Guru
    05-23-2009, 12:49 PM #62
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    ...nothing that would get under my skin more then some jack ass customer (with no background in the business or a business for that matter) coming up to me and saying hey you should try this idea or do this or the other. I would (in a nice way) say, trust me we have tried or thought about it and it doesnt work for reasons you could not even start to think of.
    I have also experienced that. it is also a reason why I am near positive there is something bigger that Mel and company work on everyday...

Head Honcho
    05-23-2009, 01:24 PM #63
    If satelite technology is dead then why are they spending the time and money to send more up?
    I never said the technology was dead.

If Sirius and their mgmt is so clueless, then why did Liberty just invest $540m and clear all of the debt worries through 2009?
    Maybe because they see potential and will have some say so in the future of the company with this giant stake and board members.

Marketing? (I love this complaint) MARKET WHAT???????
    Exactly!

Charles, I appreciate you taking both sides and I actually WANT to hear more about the concerning issues to keep me on my toes, however, I'm really surprised at your lack of patience in what is happening here....
    I have been overly patient. I work in the software industry as an engineer and I know what I takes to make improvements and create new applications. Sirius XM has had more than enough time, its really not even debatable. They are ignoring low hanging fruit.

I am leaving my shareholder emotions out of this and looking at this company only as a consumer and I haven't seen any value added to this company since I started listening years ago (I am sure some people have with the some of the new content).

On the flip side, I have been a Netflix subscriber for 6 months now and they are constantly adding new features AND they talk about things they will be rolling out in 2010 and beyond (unlike SiriusXM). Something about this company makes me feel good that I am a subscriber to their service and then my buddy at work sends me this article http://blogs.reuters.com/shop-talk/2...action-survey/ where netflix tops in customer satisfaction for the 5th year in a row with amazon in 2nd place. There is something to be said about a company like that and Sirius xm NEVER makes me feel like that. I just want to feel warm and fuzzy about Sirius XM like I do other companies but I need a heated blanket just to stave off hypothermia.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Head Honcho
    05-23-2009, 01:30 PM #64
    nothing that would get under my skin more then some jack ass customer (with no background in the business or a business for that matter) coming up to me and saying hey you should try this idea or do this or the other. I would (in a nice way) say, trust me we have tried or thought about it and it doesnt work for reasons you could not even start to think of. So before you all start to talk about all the things that could have been done or should have been done, remember this, Mel has been in the business alot longer then all of you and knows more about the business then most of you combined.
    Which is why I stick to the technology and trend aspect of the business. I am not suggesting that I know radio better then him. My talking points stick to my expertise which I clearly understand more about then Mel does. I would think that not even he would argue that.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Guru
    05-23-2009, 01:30 PM #65
    Quote Originally Posted by imromo24 View Post
    I have also experienced that. it is also a reason why I am near positive there is something bigger that Mel and company work on everyday...

imromo, My favorite is when I would have a home owner come up to me, all frantic and take me to his house under construction and say look at these big holes in the drywall they been here almost 2 weeks I told you and your guys about them and they still are not fixed. I would tell him why they still were not fixed FOR THE 3RD TIME and then ask him, what he did for a living one said he worked for Ford on the line (it still works for all other occupations), then I would say you see that Ford pick up over there. How would you like it, if after ordering it, I came down to the line where you worked and started to get all over you about why are they putting the engine in when the wheels are still not on, They are planning on putting them on aren't they?? The point being just like you know how to do your job so do I. So relax I am not going to leave your house with a bunch of holes in the drywall, just like you would not let my truck off the line without all the required parts.

The moral of that is, there are reasons things are done in certain time frames and in a certain order and that unless you are in the business you generally dont have a clue as to why.

Guru
    05-23-2009, 01:39 PM #66
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    Which is why I stick to the technology and trend aspect of the business. I am not suggesting that I know radio better then him. My talking points stick to my expertise which I clearly understand more about then Mel does. I would think that not even he would argue that.

Charles you dont have a clue about the big picture, dont worry because I dont ether, few do. Just like a drywall hanger may know how to put up dry wall, he still cant do the tape and finish of it and he certainly (for the most part) cant build a house.

I will give you a perfect example, You have asked why has this Iphone app taken so long. Mel has given you and the rest of you an answer many times already. While he did not go into detail, he said if they cant make money off it then they will not do it. I dont know what the hold up was but it was enough that Mel did not think it was worth doing until now. Plainly there were things going on that we did not know about.
    Last edited by john; 05-23-2009 at 01:46 PM.

Head Honcho
    05-23-2009, 03:33 PM #67
    Charles you dont have a clue about the big picture, dont worry because I dont ether, few do.
    If that is true, that is a problem IMO. I know the big picture of Netflix because they tell consumers and investors.

That being said, I dont need to know the big picture to know that they should be nailing the low hanging fruit. I work for a software company that specializes in project management, that is a BIG PICTURE but, when I see a quick easy win laying around we grab it and get it into the app ASAP. Its a no brainer and the people I work with all recognize it.

I will give you a perfect example, You have asked why has this Iphone app taken so long. Mel has given you and the rest of you an answer many times already. While he did not go into detail, he said if they cant make money off it then they will not do it. I dont know what the hold up was but it was enough that Mel did not think it was worth doing until now. Plainly there were things going on that we did not know about.
    I am not willing to believe that. They have been working on this app for quite a long time. They mentioned this a long time ago, I don't know the exact date but it may have been 12 months ago. They didnt say that it wasn't worth it, they just said they are working on it. They pushed nicemac out of the space because they had some contract with the company producing the application, that company has not delivered, it does not have anything to do with wanting to wait until now, it is plain to see that this last year has been missed opportunity with the high demand for music apps on the iPhone.

If nicemac wasn't clearly gagged on the situation we would all know more... you just have to wonder why those guys got gagged to begin with.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Guru
    05-23-2009, 10:55 PM #68

Bandwidth

If anyone checked out the website links i posted above, particularly the one for the military satellites it may have occured to you how important "spectrum" is.

The military would love more, civilians would love more...its limited space and comes at a high premium....the merger put 2 licenses for 100% of the sat rad spectrum into the hands of one company...at the very least this make SXM quite powerful (even without their excellent content)

05-23-2009, 10:59 PM #69
    Sorry Charles,

I disagree with you on many levels..............

First off,,,you speak of your talents in your profession and how much better you could make it..... ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!! You know NOTHING about how satelites work, you know NOTHING about what's going on in Sirius board meetings & you clearly know NOTHING about what it takes to merge 2 satelite radio companies................

"I am not willing to believe that. They have been working on this app for quite a long time. They mentioned this a long time ago, I don't know the exact date but it may have been 12 months ago. They didnt say that it wasn't worth it, they just said they are working on it. They pushed nicemac out of the space because they had some contract with the company producing the application, that company has not delivered, it does not have anything to do with wanting to wait until now, it is plain to see that this last year has been missed opportunity with the high demand for music apps on the iPhone."

12 MONTHS AGO??? They wern't even approved to merge 12 months ago!!!!! This is a different world now! WHY SPEND A BUNCH OF MONEY PROMOTING SIRIUS BACK THEN WHEN THE FUTURE OF SIRIUS WILL BE SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT???

You want them to announce their plans to you so you feel better?? Have you forgotten that Sirius has a giant bullseye on their head and are being targeted by some very powerful groups? If they tell you their plans, then they'll be telling them too!!!

Sorry Charles, Mel got us through the merger and fought off BK. He's brilliant in this industry and I'm EXTREMELY happy that they're not spending one extra dime AND that they're keeping the BIG PLAN to themselves.............

LONG SIRIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Head Honcho
    05-23-2009, 11:24 PM #70
    First off,,,you speak of your talents in your profession and how much better you could make it..... ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!! You know NOTHING about how satelites work, you know NOTHING about what's going on in Sirius board meetings & you clearly know NOTHING about what it takes to merge 2 satelite radio companies
    Did you read what I originally said? AND my follow up?

I said "Which is why I stick to the technology and trend aspect of the business. I am not suggesting that I know radio better then him. My talking points stick to my expertise which I clearly understand more about then Mel does. I would think that not even he would argue that."

So, I agree with you. I dont need to know anything about how satellites work to implement what I think are low hanging fruit.

12 MONTHS AGO??? They wern't even approved to merge 12 months ago!!!!! This is a different world now! WHY SPEND A BUNCH OF MONEY PROMOTING SIRIUS BACK THEN WHEN THE FUTURE OF SIRIUS WILL BE SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT???[/QUOTE]

It was a long time ago and like I said, I dont know the exact date, maybe it was 6 months ago, it was a LONG time ago. I want to say it was touched up on the conference call before this past one.

You want them to announce their plans to you so you feel better?? Have you forgotten that Sirius has a giant bullseye on their head and are being targeted by some very powerful groups? If they tell you their plans, then they'll be telling them too!!!
    Point? That is how business works. You announce your plans because by the time you do, its rare that someone can beat you to market with your new widget if that widget is already in the works. That being said, I think it a moot point because they really don't have anything to announce.

Sorry Charles, Mel got us through the merger and fought off BK.
    At what price? Look at the value of the merger of equals and look what 40% of the company was sold for. Then look at the share prices over the course of the last few years. That scary.

He's brilliant in this industry and I'm EXTREMELY happy that they're not spending one extra dime AND that they're keeping the BIG PLAN to themselves.............
    That is a good reason to be an investor and if that is what you believe, you should be all set. I just don't define "this industry" the same way you do so, I cant share your feelings. This company CANNOT be limited by their delivery service, they are a content company. How they deliver that content in as many ways as possible is the key to this companies success. The minute they drop "satellite radio" from their taglines and stop comparing themselves to clearchannel, that is when you will know this company is destined for greatness.

What is the BIG PLAN by the way... and when can we expect to see it?
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Page 7 of 9 ... 56789