Page 11 of 11 ... 91011
    Mentor
    05-15-2009, 12:07 PM #101
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    homer, From what I understand the proformer gets pennys per CD, that it is really only the concerts that they make their money on.
    john, you're right to a certain extent. each and every artist has a different contract. new artists obv have the most difficult contracts to get rich on. it all depends on their sales. record companies have the option to recoup all of their expenses FIRST with all contracts. with new artists, their marketing costs are extremely high so they can get exposure for the new artist, music videos cost in the millions now, and those are needed. but when the artist reaches certain sales plateaus they receive a higher percentage of sales, especially if the artist goes platinum or multiplatinum(they will be getting millions). the labels expose themselves to high risk so rightfully they want a higher return and a bigger share of profits.

established artists always get better deals because they have a history of producing. they are less of a risk to lose money for the record labels. so they get a higher percentage of sales.

it always comes down to producing. if your music sells, you will eventually get rich. if you cant produce, or just a 1 hit wonder , dont expect much.

yes , concerts are where they make most of their money. but if no ones buying their records, who's going to their shows? another mistake new artists make is they sell their publishing rights. or a big share of it, so they can make some quick cash.

and last but not least, managers and entourage have a huge effect on an artists bottom line. some managers get 10% of all rev.

if your an artist and you want to get rich, you have to treat your career like a business. and if youre not hands on, well, look at mc hammer.

Mentor
    05-15-2009, 02:57 PM #102
    Quote Originally Posted by relmor2003 View Post
    for a good history of how record labels take advantage of artists, look up the TLC story. They were I think into there third huge albumn release, and they were still making almost nothing on that effort. Yes, ive heard that too, to motivate the artist to tour as well, they link most profits for them from that end of it. Maybe changing now, not sure.
    im not too familiar with the tlc story, but i remember some things about it. i think theyre producer was jellybean if im not mistaken. from what i remember and i COULD BE WRONG, he did take advantage of them. to fully understand the tlc story tho, you/we need to understand the contract they signed. was it a 5 record deal? if it was , then it doesnt matter if theyre 3rd album sales were huge. as long as tlc was getting paid as per their contract , however little it may be, they cant claim anything wrong is going on unless they find embezzlement or fraud in the part of the labels. IT ALL COMES DOWN TO THE CONTRACT AN ARTIST SIGNS. no one puts a gun to their head.

Page 11 of 11 ... 91011