05-02-2009, 08:50 PM #1

Someone hates satellite radio...

This is absoultely ridiculous, I am one of the few investors who does not subscribe to sirius, I listen to talk radio 5 days a week...but on the weekends I am stuck with the 5 songs that the radio plays over and over all day. Today I was listening to 105.9fm in Los Angeles and the song Boom Boom Pow by the Black Eye Peas came on. In the song they give a shout out to sat. radio. The radio station censored the word satellite!! I could not believe it so I started changing stations to see if all the stations were doing it. I heard the song on 3 stations kiss fm 102.7 and 105.9 fm both censored out the word satellite but 97.1 played the word... I made a video on my phone so you could hear it too. these are the lyrics-

Here we go, here we go, satellite radio
    Y'all gettin' hit with boom boom

turn your speakers on its only 18 seconds listen to the last 3 seconds carefully-
    http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...=VID_00003.flv

05-02-2009, 09:07 PM #2
    A couple of weeks ago Howard Stern was talking about that song
    and how the stations were bleeping out the word satellite. Obviously,
    the stations are feeling threatened.
    Why not support your stock by purchasing satellite?
    Have a good evening,
    Julie

Head Honcho
    05-02-2009, 11:58 PM #3
    The version sent to Sirius to be played on air actually had it censored out as well... as Howard Stern discovered on his show.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Guru
    05-03-2009, 09:48 AM #4
    Too funny! Big Brother??

05-03-2009, 10:14 AM #5
    Record companies typically send out pre-edited versions of singles (now downloads) and leave it up to the radio station to decide which version they want to play.

Power 106 is owned by Emmis; KISS FM is owned by Clear Channel; and KLSX (97.1) is owned by CBS. That doesn't surprise me. There is no mandate from CBS to do such editing... they leave programming decisions at the local level.

Most of the CBS bashing on these boards is completely unfounded.

----------

Head Honcho
    05-03-2009, 01:26 PM #6
    The part that I find strange is that by editing the song they are drawing more attention to satellite radio then if they had simple left the word in the song. What I would give to "out" the over-thinker that made this call, it just seems laughable to me.

Homer, have you ever heard of these guys censoring words which were not considered profanities? I wonder if there are any other strange cases of this kind of stuff... like a local radio station bleeping out the word "hamburger" because they have something against the cattle industry.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

05-03-2009, 05:56 PM #7
    Charles, generally radio stations don't edit the song themselves -- they go with the edited versions supplied to them by record companies. It is more likely that someone in a record company thought that they had a better chance at getting the song played by editing it themselves, than giving them the unedited version.

In my years, I've never had to edit a song myself... the record company version has been just fine.

-------

05-03-2009, 09:13 PM #8
    The thing is they have recently made this change to the song. I've heard them say satellite radio in the song on these stations in the past few weeks saturday was the first time I ever heard it censored.