Page 2 of 6 1234 ...
    Guru
    04-30-2009, 10:04 AM #11
    Quote Originally Posted by underway View Post
    SIRI $ Gone? Sorry, don't follow you. With stock below a buck and Liberty driving the train, how could any investment with avg pricing way below a buck be money lost? NO WAY! did you read the latest news re poison pill provision?

He thinks they lost another chance to play the channel. The problem with playing the channel is something that almost always happens and something you better be prepared to settle for. That the stock will ether take off and not come back down or it will go down like driving off a cliff depending on the trend. The reason doing it with your total block of shares is not wise if you are in as a long, are because if it does what generally happens which is take off or drop off and not come back (ether way), you are stuck with the choice of buying back for a major loss (in gains) and trying to play the same game again to make up for the loss in gain you would have had if you just stuck it out before it does it again. I have tried this before and believe me there comes a time when you get burnt. You sit there waiting to see if it will ever come back down only to see it go up even more. Then you are left with that terrible choice do I just get back in or maybe wait longer to see if it comes back down.

Guru
    04-30-2009, 10:26 AM #12
    BTW, i didn't sell anything yesterday...and don't plan to sell...

04-30-2009, 10:30 AM #13
    John...few things...as for his money in siri...I was just messing with his new tag line. Where is siri money? Just a joke.

As for your idea about buying back in on a stock that has run up, you don't ever count the money you missed, definitely not a loss. I have issue with your logic. Show me an example of a missed gain on good company that you would be willing to hold long term. This idea of grabbing every single penny on the way up and counting any penny not grabbed as a loss is nutty. Example siri is .45 and it runs up to .55..if I sold my shares my entire position of siri at .45(purchased at .38), I have missed nothing. If you analyze your trades like this you will be on the wrong side of every trade every time. As for your idea of a stock running up and never looking back, I equate that to Mel ridding in naked on unicorn with a dividend on his back, not going to happen. If this 1% chance happens, who cares I can buy back in at .85 and ride it all the way to 2$....we all know that is right around the bend, lol :-{ If you believe in siri long term then who cares, getting in and out and recouping you losses from last year is best play on this stock, not buying and holding.

Always remember Mel, our CEO, knew we were heading into the abyss last year and he could have warned us the next few months would be rocky, not Mel...he said bk was off the table..big fin lie. If he would have be a little bit more forthright, we would have sold our shares anywhere from 1.6-1.4. We got smoked its that simple, Mel took our money.

Guru
    04-30-2009, 10:36 AM #14
    yes i figured it was the tag line...

04-30-2009, 10:39 AM #15
    Someone bought and sold yesterday and picked up 35 more shares, not you, sorry. Whoever it was they did better than the rest of us.
    I want to make it clear I am not a siri basher, but I am a realist. I currently am at a full position 45k and the first sign of a run up, especially on a rumor, I will sell 15k and wait for the CC. Thats my plan and I am sticking to it. Trying to analyze how the street will interpret the CC is something Relmor can do, not me. My prediction is good news, followed by a nice run two day run up, follow by the shorts regrouping and the fast money taking profits, leading back down into middle earth. .45-.55. For me this will be a chance to make some moves. Time will tell, good luck all.

Sell button is your friend, believe me two days after a sell you have actual cash in your account, not a promise of future unicorns or maybe even a Ligar.

Addict
    04-30-2009, 10:39 AM #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    John...few things...as for his money in siri...I was just messing with his new tag line. Where is siri money? Just a joke.

As for your idea about buying back in on a stock that has run up, you don't ever count the money you missed, definitely not a loss. I have issue with your logic. Show me an example of a missed gain on good company that you would be willing to hold long term. This idea of grabbing every single penny on the way up and counting any penny not grabbed as a loss is nutty. Example siri is .45 and it runs up to .55..if I sold my shares my entire position of siri at .45(purchased at .38), I have missed nothing. If you analyze your trades like this you will be on the wrong side of every trade every time. As for your idea of a stock running up and never looking back, I equate that to Mel ridding in naked on unicorn with a dividend on his back, not going to happen. If this 1% chance happens, who cares I can buy back in at .85 and ride it all the way to 2$....we all know that is right around the bend, lol :-{ If you believe in siri long term then who cares, getting in and out and recouping you losses from last year is best play on this stock, not buying and holding.

Always remember Mel, our CEO, knew we were heading into the abyss last year and he could have warned us the next few months would be rocky, not Mel...he said bk was off the table..big fin lie. If he would have be a little bit more forthright, we would have sold our shares anywhere from 1.6-1.4. We got smoked its that simple, Mel took our money.

Interesting....
    two points though:

First, I see your logic of incremental gains. There is no doubt that approach is more conservative since you are reaping profits at some price point you decide, either in advance as a strategy, or as it happens to unfold and you make a quick decision. However, there is an absolute opportunity cost in doing this, for the obvious reason that to buy back in will yield fewer shares with the same $. Yes, if stock retraces, you can get back in with the same or less $. But, if it continues to move up, you now have a lost opportunity cost, either by deciding not to re-enter the game on that stock, or buying fewer shares with your orig $, or equivalent or more shares with more of your $.

Second: how did Mel take your money?

Guru
    04-30-2009, 10:42 AM #17
    no, i posted that i sold on the spikes and bought on the dips...i figured it was an obvious sarcasm because the whole day barely moved .005. sorry for confusion...

i really just don't want to deal with filing my taxes to be honest, i hate calculating basis.

Guru
    04-30-2009, 10:45 AM #18

John Malone "insider"

Nice to see the form 3 released on the 28th that says John Malone is a new SIRI insider.

04-30-2009, 10:55 AM #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    Mel took our money.
    Actually... You only give him your money when you sell in the red. How do you avoid that? Don't SELL in the red Silly Goose. Every time you hit that BUY button consider your money gone forever. Simple as that. You bought a form of entertainment, like gambling.

04-30-2009, 10:56 AM #20
    I understand your logic and I do agree. I would have less shares because of the higher price, but if this stock is to runs like it stole something..lets say 4-5 dollars, what have I actually missed, not too much considering my %gain is huge(.50c-.85c...I missed .35c but the gain from .85 to 4-5$ is pretty amazing)

As for Mel taking my money. Once the merger was announced I purchased shares of XMSR 8-10 range hoping the buy out of 18.6$ would happen. This happens for most of the stocks I have seen that announce a merger, not us. We were supposed to get 4.6 shares of Siri for every share of xm...I don't think that worked out all that well.
    Mel smoked us with his idea of a Judge holding up the merger. Did we have any say in this, no. We own some of the company should we not get a vote? Mel didn't think so. I can go on but I do understand the DOJ and FCC did not help things. The more I think about it the more it peevs me. Call me crazy but I don't think we are every going to be the winners. This stock blows!

Page 2 of 6 1234 ...