Page 1 of 2 12
    Addict
    04-23-2009, 10:08 PM #1

Advertising campaign on the net

I was wondering what other peoples take is on the ads SXM has been running for the past 1-2 months. I see it as very heavy on the popular search sites starting to think that it must be working to a degree or they would maybe slow it down to save more $. Hopefully the aftermarket is spurred a bit.

I am still wondering when they will go for the marketing of the merged entity on television and cable.

Anyone else have a take or opinion on their strategy ?

Guru
    04-23-2009, 10:21 PM #2
    they need to get their top talent on publicity tours, u hear me howard get off ur lazy ass

Enthusiast
    04-23-2009, 10:26 PM #3
    I always hear people say how Sirius needs to advertise more, but in the back of my mind I just don't see the point at the current time. Why not wait until the economy is better and then begin to heavily market your product?

Guru
    04-23-2009, 10:29 PM #4
    it costs nothing to have robin and howard do some talk shows to get some plugs in. Not to mention oprah. Howard gets offers for letterman every month but turns them down, seems like hes getting closer to saying yes, he knows he should but he hates doing it. A little pressure from management would probably do the trick. Not to mention Oprah mentioning her sirius show every where she goes, i dont follow her but i imagine she doesnt.

Enthusiast
    04-23-2009, 10:38 PM #5
    Quote Originally Posted by trippingthespeculatingpos View Post
    it costs nothing to have robin and howard do some talk shows to get some plugs in. Not to mention oprah. Howard gets offers for letterman every month but turns them down, seems like hes getting closer to saying yes, he knows he should but he hates doing it. A little pressure from management would probably do the trick. Not to mention Oprah mentioning her sirius show every where she goes, i dont follow her but i imagine she doesnt.
    I do agree Oprah needs to get off her fat ass and advertise her own show at the very least. A daily mention on her show would be nice. I don't watch or ever intend to watch Oprah so I have no way of knowing if she does this.

04-23-2009, 10:49 PM #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Hughes View Post
    I always hear people say how Sirius needs to advertise more, but in the back of my mind I just don't see the point at the current time. Why not wait until the economy is better and then begin to heavily market your product?
    People are still spending money on toys. I really think they are
    missing out by not marketing more aggressively. All that high paid talent
    should be out on the road earning their money.

Julie

Head Honcho
    04-23-2009, 11:02 PM #7
    You are personally seeing a lot of Sirius XM ads because there is a ton of behind the scenes behavioral targeting which is done. The ad companies know that you frequent sites which have to do with Sirius XM so they show you more Sirius XM ads thinking you are their target... and for the most part they are right.

Does your wife/girl/daughter have her own computer? If so, go surf the same websites and you will see ads for hair care products and makeup. That is... if they typically surf girly websites
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

04-26-2009, 10:52 AM #8
    Charles is right. The SIRIUS Banners show up a lot for us because our cookies indicate we are interested in it.

I don't think just purely spending money on advertising does the trick. It's so much harder than that. I think getting the talent on the air to promote it to people outside Satellite Radio is key though. And Howard Stern getting on Letterman as tripping says is huge.

From what I can tell they have some tricks up their sleeves on some cool ways to bring Satellite Radio to those who don't have it. But IMO it's more about logistics and people worried about how to install, etc that is preventing people from getting it.

I think they would be better off putting more resources into training people at the outsourced call centers a bit more and finding new ways for new subscribers to deal with a highly trained group of people that can assist them in getting satellite radio in their cars or homes. I think their approach of having less of a presence at big events is a good one. Everytime I've gone to an event like those people talk like they will get Satellite Radio but the follow through is weak. The public needs a reason to stop procrastinating on getting it and I personally don't think it's as much of a price issue as it is a confusion issue. People want someone to hold their hand until the install is done. It's one reason I can't wait until DirecTV installers start to do SIRIUS XM Home Installs. It will help a large segment of people finally get the product. My point is this. I've had a lot of people say they were interested in Satellite Radio but until I installed it for them they were just going to put it off, but once I did they were absolutely hooked on it. And some of them never even thought they would like it.

04-26-2009, 11:35 AM #9
    Quote Originally Posted by TSS Taylor View Post
    Charles is right. The SIRIUS Banners show up a lot for us because our cookies indicate we are interested in it.

I don't think just purely spending money on advertising does the trick. It's so much harder than that. I think getting the talent on the air to promote it to people outside Satellite Radio is key though. And Howard Stern getting on Letterman as tripping says is huge.

From what I can tell they have some tricks up their sleeves on some cool ways to bring Satellite Radio to those who don't have it. But IMO it's more about logistics and people worried about how to install, etc that is preventing people from getting it.

I think they would be better off putting more resources into training people at the outsourced call centers a bit more and finding new ways for new subscribers to deal with a highly trained group of people that can assist them in getting satellite radio in their cars or homes. I think their approach of having less of a presence at big events is a good one. Everytime I've gone to an event like those people talk like they will get Satellite Radio but the follow through is weak. The public needs a reason to stop procrastinating on getting it and I personally don't think it's as much of a price issue as it is a confusion issue. People want someone to hold their hand until the install is done. It's one reason I can't wait until DirecTV installers start to do SIRIUS XM Home Installs. It will help a large segment of people finally get the product. My point is this. I've had a lot of people say they were interested in Satellite Radio but until I installed it for them they were just going to put it off, but once I did they were absolutely hooked on it. And some of them never even thought they would like it.
    This is the truth..........people want and crave convenience.....and are willing to pay a premium for it. Apple seems to be the best example.

Make it easy, and they will come.

Mentor
    04-26-2009, 01:33 PM #10
    Quote Originally Posted by trippingthespeculatingpos View Post
    Im around women at times. Ive seen Oprah at times. I dont think she even plugs her magazine on her show much? But I could be wrong. It would require XM to pay her to mention it on her show every day, I guarantee thats how greedy she is. Shes already getting paid every penny she would be if she advertised the radio show anyway, regardless of people who listen. So if Sirius wants to advertise that station on her show, they will have to pay for it. Otherwise every SECOND of Oprah's time on that show is accounded for. A small graphic at the end wouldnt hurt, even if they have to pay a bit for it. ANd shes does advertise the Radio show IN her magazine(once again, toilet, women, not my fault, dont get on my case,)

Page 1 of 2 12