Page 24 of 26 ... 142223242526
    Guru
    04-18-2009, 09:18 PM #231
    what does your gut tell you to do rick? its hard for me to tell you what to do rick, so ill tell you what i would do, hold for at least a dollar, assuming u have the time.
    Last edited by trippingthespeculatingpos; 04-18-2009 at 09:20 PM.

Enthusiast
    04-18-2009, 09:28 PM #232
    Hey Trip - tx for your input - gotta tell you - with trying to understand all of the tech stuff here and the viewpoints of the veterans on the board - I think that I would like to see this puppy float on up to the $2ish area - but i realize that that may take a while - not really sure if r/s will assist my position in the long run or not - i kinda think it will but there are going to be alot more nail bitting days i think. I think eveyone would be absolutely giddy if it ever saw its' all time high (think it was 7.00ish or so) and I think it will eventually get there???????? I was thinking of leaving it all on the table and continually moving the stop loss up as the sp moved up but staying say .10 lower with my stop loss??????

04-18-2009, 09:41 PM #233
    Hey Rick, I agree with Tripp that you have to trust your own best judgment... The problem with stop losses on a volatile stock is that the MM (Market Makers) know that the stops are out there... When the stock experiences a day of low volume, and news of concern, they can easily run the stock down tripping the stop losses accelerating the take down, and putting you out below your .10 stop. Then the stock pops back up and by the time you know what hit ya, your out and can't get back in without losing shares.... Damn theifs they are... but, that's the game... So first, no stop losses on a volatile stock. Sell some into rallies, giving you some ammo to buy more, if the stock pulls back. Leave nothing to chance or the electronic auto trades... Take the emotion out of the trade (ya right) and have a buy and sell strategy and STICK TO IT..... Do the trades yourself or do what Trip said..... Remember your own greed will be your worst enemy..... and best of luck....

04-18-2009, 09:48 PM #234
    Hi Rick, I am just done reading all the posts and thought tell you my opinion.
    First of all, I agree with Trip and think this one should go to 1,- $, my only concern would be the R/S, as mentioned several times here by the pro's.
    Second off all, there are a few things you could do, for example sell 25 % of your shares next week at 52 or 53 and another 25 % at 60 + and keep the rest.
    Another alternative is selling covered calls, right now .10 to .15 for Sept.
    This is money in the bank and insurance too, but you'll have your profits limited to 1,-( strike price ).
    Hope that gives you some idea.

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    Hey Trip - tx for your input - gotta tell you - with trying to understand all of the tech stuff here and the viewpoints of the veterans on the board - I think that I would like to see this puppy float on up to the $2ish area - but i realize that that may take a while - not really sure if r/s will assist my position in the long run or not - i kinda think it will but there are going to be alot more nail bitting days i think. I think eveyone would be absolutely giddy if it ever saw its' all time high (think it was 7.00ish or so) and I think it will eventually get there???????? I was thinking of leaving it all on the table and continually moving the stop loss up as the sp moved up but staying say .10 lower with my stop loss??????

Enthusiast
    04-18-2009, 09:57 PM #235
    Thanks Cos - That is what i have been worried about - the buggers forcing a trip of the stop! I guess that is why I have not used them so far --- even when i followed it from .48 to .07? I was originally tryig to buy more at the .28 mark but the sp never went down there when i had the order - so much for trying to ave down. I have been reading that some of you ( matter of fact Cos - I think it was you) use a "core" that you let ride but try to by the lows and sell the highs with the remainder - perhaps that is the thing to do????
    That being said - my gut tells me that the sp will retreat a bit just before the cc - a buying opportunity?
    Man - I wish I had paid more attention to "Stock market 101" in school - but that was a LONG time ago!!! lol

Again - thanks Cos --- Thanks Daniel!!! You guy's are appreciated!!

04-19-2009, 01:54 AM #236
    i have a 'good for 60 days' order to sell at .99 and those bastards haven't stopped me out yet. you got nothing to worry about.

Mentor
    04-19-2009, 02:27 AM #237
    RickF, this is my problem with the system you described: How many times have you seen the stock price make sudden, unforeseen, and DRASTIC cuts, either up or down, only to settle down back where itw as when it started the day? These MMs can see where the orders for buy and sell are. They may spike the stock price down by 10 cents, trigger your sell, and then bring the stock back up in a matter of minutes or even seconds. You are then out all of your shares, for absolutely no good reason.

As far as I am concerned, and Relmor, Cos, and several others are doing this as well:
    Decide how much of your position will be the "Core" position. This core position is your long term holdings. You will reevaluate your decision at least 2 times a year, determine if the company is still performing like you think it should, and determine if you want to sell or not.

The rest of your current position is what you consider your "trading" stock. This is the stock that means little to you. It is meant for short term trading. Sell on what you believe are the highs, and buy back on what you believe are the lows. I myself sold out a portion of my trading shares at 47 on Friday. I expect the stock to retrace down to at least 42-45ish. It may not happen Monday, it may not happen Tuesday, but I believe it will happen this week, and I will buy back then. If you have a decent number of shares, these 2-5 cent gains can be significant. A 5 cent gain on 10k shares is $500, or about 1000 more shares of Sirius. (an increase of 10% of your trading shares). Not too shabby. You don't necessarily have to buy more shares either. You could simply pocket the difference. No body will ever shame you for putting cash in your pocket.

Guru
    04-19-2009, 07:58 AM #238
    Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    I wonder if anyone could comment on my "simple minded strategy" - here's my thought - my ave sp is .40 with 41k shares - I do not EVER want to be in the position of losing it all again! If it was money that I had "earned" then so be it - i made a lousy decision and lost money BUT this was $$ that my Mom left to me - she struggled alot to do it and it was very important to leave something. So - with that in mind, my thought is that i try to follow the sp up with a stop loss in place about .10 below the "Active sp". However, if i had put a stop loss in place a few weeks ago as it was grinding up and down - i would have nothing. I have no problem being really long but I guess I just want to find a way to not go bust. It would really be great if this puppy took off and "made Mom proud"!!
    Does this make any sense??? Any other ideas would be very welcomed - but I am very much a newbie here trying to learn!!

From what I read I would say take you shares sell them all except 10%. It is obvious that this is not money that you are comfortable lossing. So find a nice safe stock, one with little debt and is a recession proof like WMI, DSX, EXC, NST. The first one is Waste Management no matter what happens you will always need your trash picked up and some place to put it (they are one of the bigest holders of dump sites). The second is a shipping company with long term contracts that should protect them from this down turn. The last 2 are electric companies and you will always need power (EXC has the most nuke plants in the USA), they may not be the most exciting but they are safe and the electric companies have always given a great dividend. Disclaimer: I own all of the stocks I mentioned.

Just so it is clear I like SIRIXM and think it will be a huge money maker in the future. That said nothing is for certain and as we have seen SIRIXM is less certian then most.

Guru
    04-19-2009, 09:39 AM #239
    Ok fella's I think this is going to be my mantra for the next 9 months, this is what is going to keep me "sane" and from losing it and selling....

I am not selling until the following are met:

1. iphone app released (sorry not selling, not doing it until this actually happens)
    2. synergies realized (sorry not selling, not doing it until this actually happens)
    3. MERGER: yes there was a merger recently...although #2 is synergies i want to emphasize the merger by itself, synergies is one thing, but having 2 times the bandwidth WHO-AH! (sorry not selling, not doing it until we see results of this)
    4. Hello? Liberty media...i think we just had 2 mergers in the last year...did anyone catch that? (sorry not selling, not doing it until we see results of this)
    5. When Mel and company say "We are profitable" (this day is coming, sorry not selling, not doing it until we see results of this)

Does everybody realize what we just went through!?!?!?

1) a drawn out merger (yes there was a merger remember this?!)
    2) Bankruptcy scare (were through that now)

We are barely scraping by on news right now and we are seeing 20% daily gains...

HOLD!

i am not a professional trader or analyst (but i do have 600+ posts here )

Enthusiast
    04-19-2009, 09:50 AM #240
    Cos, Newman, John, Imron - all of you guys are great - a while back I posted that "sometime in the future" I would elaborate on my circumstances - it was all about "Moms" money that was losing me sleep here. You guys have been fabulous and I will be taking heed of your recommendations. I think that I can stomach letting it ride until it hits .68 (i seems to recall that one of you guys suggested that that would be the next wlll that we hit - from a technical viewpoint) - then I think I will sell the original investment and move it to a less volitile stock - then - I figure it is money that I can lose (OR WIN) and not lose sleep!! Thanks bunches for the stock suggestions John!

When I sell / buy - I will let you guys know - I know that I am small potatoes but again - thanks guys!!