Page 1 of 6 123 ...
    Guru
    03-24-2009, 12:42 PM #1

What this new patent means to the bottomline

If and when this patent becomes a reality http://www.ceoreportcards.com/2009/0...c-information/ who knows how far away that is, the potential is huge. The ability to have local advertising on satellite radio will be the true nail in the coffin for terrestrial radio. Sirius revenue for 2008 was 2.4 billion. Now imagine sirius was too actually draw over these local advertisers the way clear channel does.

Does any1 know how much clear channel draws in every quarter from advertising? well if siri could successfully take those advertisers that would add quite a bit to siri's revenue, remember right now we are generating 2.4 a year with very little coming from advertising. Now if u add the kind of advertising revenue clear channel gets to siri's revenue maybe a 6 billion share float isn't so bad after all? Then add on top of that a return to massive sub growth with more ways to listen and car sales booming.

Now add on top of that 5 free channels possibly premium channels with commercials added, probably like 3 music channels, a talk channel, and a news channel would be good. These channels would be free and available everywhere the sats can reach, not forgetting the latest patent you could mix national commercials with local commercials to maximize revenue from these 5 channels, While at the same time creating the best advertising you could for the premium service.

The future is really really bright for sirius if u ask me.

Guru
    03-24-2009, 01:13 PM #2
    There is just one small problem with it ??????? Yes thats right the FCC. Remember that not only does the repeater towers make local commercials illeagal. The original agreement the satllite companies made with the FCC was that they had to be a subcriber based company. So now that they have the tech, the question is do they have the loophole in the FCC agreement to get it done. Do you have that information? I would really like to see it please, thanks.

Mentor
    03-24-2009, 06:20 PM #3
    Tripp, I have to agree with john. This will never happen as long as Terrestrial is as powerful as they are. Perhaps a few years down the road when terrestrial is on it's death bed, this could be the killing blow. But not anytime soon.

I think the overlay technology allowing Sirius to broadcast (national) commercials over certain music to people who are not paying the subscriber fees is much more reasonable.

BTW john: You mentioned that SatRad had to be a subscriber based company. There is nothing in that patent that said that the subscriber model had to change (as far as I read). I think in the FUTURE, this patent could be utilized with the overlay technology to deliver FOCUSED advertising to those who are NOT subscribers, while subscribers continue to not hear any commercials. (Or even used on Commercial-based channels for Focused advertising, such as the comedy channels, or Howard, or something.)

Mentor
    03-24-2009, 06:28 PM #4
    Look at this thread that has some info about this issue....

http://siriusbuzz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=837

Guru
    03-24-2009, 06:38 PM #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    BTW john: You mentioned that SatRad had to be a subscriber based company. There is nothing in that patent that said that the subscriber model had to change (as far as I read). I think in the FUTURE, this patent could be utilized with the overlay technology to deliver FOCUSED advertising to those who are NOT subscribers, while subscribers continue to not hear any commercials. (Or even used on Commercial-based channels for Focused advertising, such as the comedy channels, or Howard, or something.)

Nathen, I was referring to this part of his comment,

"Now add on top of that 5 free channels possibly premium channels with commercials added, probably like 3 music channels, a talk channel, and a news channel would be good. These channels would be free and available everywhere the sats can reach, not forgetting the latest patent you could mix national commercials with local commercials to maximize revenue from these 5 channels, While at the same time creating the best advertising you could for the premium service."

Now as long as they are not using repeater towers in a certain area, I dont think they have to worry about the local advertisement issue. They still have the original agreement they made to get the license though which as Tyler explained it they must be mainly a subscriber based company.

P.S. did I say Nathen, I meant Newman

Joined: Mar 2009 Location: On a cushy beach chair! Posts: 383
    03-24-2009, 07:21 PM #6
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Nathen, I was referring to this part of his comment,

"Now add on top of that 5 free channels possibly premium channels with commercials added, probably like 3 music channels, a talk channel, and a *****ough which as Tyler explained it they must be mainly a subscriber based company.

P.S. did I say Nathen, I meant Newman
    Wow Newman look what I started these guys are brutal,
    Good Night!!

Mentor
    03-24-2009, 09:38 PM #7
    Tripp

New patent...has a lot of merit...could be great for SiriusXM longterm...Short term, has quite a few hurdles to jump through before can become reality. Something in the pipeline for the future!

03-24-2009, 11:16 PM #8
    More commercials is the last thing Sirius needs. At what point have you just created a new terrestrial radio but for a fee? The most popular channel in all of satellite radio is Stern hands down. The best they can manage is ads for Ashley Madison and penis pumps. Frankly the star attraction for Sirius is completely unpalatable for advertisers. So instead your going to ask them to advertise on channels that noone listens to or if they do listen, one of the primary reasons is because of no commercials?

03-25-2009, 12:05 AM #9
    Quote Originally Posted by jonpluc@aol.com View Post
    More commercials is the last thing Sirius needs. At what point have you just created a new terrestrial radio but for a fee? The most popular channel in all of satellite radio is Stern hands down. The best they can manage is ads for Ashley Madison and penis pumps. Frankly the star attraction for Sirius is completely unpalatable for advertisers. So instead your going to ask them to advertise on channels that noone listens to or if they do listen, one of the primary reasons is because of no commercials?
    you know...i am in the upper demographic of howard sterns... i have been aware of him for 30 years because he started here in the washington metro area... and i have seen his tv show (about 2 min) and have listened to him on the radio for a few min more... i can't describe the piece of SHIT that sirius paid for but it was the biggest mistake any company could make ...and with his last brush with the law... one could only hope he does a LOT of HARD TIME IN PRISON AND IN HIS ASS... the piece of animal dung should be casterated and left for the buzzards to pick over... oh i forgot buzzards are selective of WHAT THEY EAT... if i had been able to vote for this merger with a company who paid hundreds of millions for SHIT talent i would reather have seen the company keep its integerity and fold than merge with a company who clearly cant see its path with its head stuck so far up its ...oprah and (DR)phil two loosers with howwierd clearly makes the trifecta

03-25-2009, 12:09 AM #10
    my apologies to anyone who thinks howwierd walks on water... just a lot of peoples opinions... i was glad when when i was told xm was merging with sirius... but sirius has done nothing but shit on xm...

Page 1 of 6 123 ...