Page 4 of 9 ... 23456 ...
    Head Honcho
    03-16-2009, 09:30 PM #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Demian View Post
    When I was calling her a bitch it had nothing to do with her sex change or gender - it was in regards to her recent comments slamming Sirius.

She needs to shut her yapper..............
    The person who founded the company is no longer entitled an opinion? Or are you just saying this sarcastically because you don't want it to effect the stock?
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Enthusiast
    03-16-2009, 09:36 PM #32
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    Should the media write good things about a company that is going from $5 per share to $.10 all while almost spiraling into chapter 11? Wouldnt it have been irresponsible for them to say good things about the company?
    My man, the media has been negative on satellite radio for years. I think the last time we had positive articles on Sirius was when Stern was announced in '04. We're not bankrupt and we're not going bankrupt anytime soon -enough with bankruptcy talk, -it's last month's news. There's always a bad spin on SIRI from "stern was paid too much," "80% chance merger will not go thru," "churn churn churn," "internet radio's a much better alternative," "siri: one of the companies to go bankrupt in '09," "oh oh oh reverse split." We all know this stock is manipulated, we all know the media is negative on it, we all know terrestrial radio hates us. We get shorted like crazy and have for years. Yet we're the fastest growing subscription service, enjoyed by 19 million subs. Come on Charles, you know better than that. This is not AOL, either, we're not going away.

How about some articles that tell it like it is? This company has potential, the pay radio model is here to stay, 19 million are telling you they'd rather pay money than hear annoying commercials (and yea I'm aware some XM music channels have commercials). They've weathered out the storm, beat all the odds and are here to stay.

Head Honcho
    03-16-2009, 09:43 PM #33

Question

If the media was positive on the company it would have been irresponsible. That is all I can say. I debunk a lot of the bullshit you mentioned above (even though the media talking about Howard Sterns contract didn't do anything but help Sirius XM by reminding people about Howard Stern) but, these latest rounds of calling out a company which refuses to evolve are very valid IMO.

It's just funny to me how we deflect the validity of something now because of a persons sex. For some reason her comments are viewed as a negative spin by the media? How? They are her comments, all the media did was report them. Not reporting the comments of the person who founded the company would be irresponsible biased journalism.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Enthusiast
    03-16-2009, 09:51 PM #34
    Satellite radio will probably succeed. Will it ever be the cash machine that we all want it to be and believe it can be someday?... hard to say at this point. Not the way things are currently operating. They need to think outside their box. Get into Walmart or whatever Mel was talking about... get backseat t.v. going... etc. Quit making excuses about circuit city and negative press. I think partnering with Malone/Maffei will help tremendously, and could be exactly what saves this company and makes it a cash machine. Current management has been disappointing.

Guru
    03-16-2009, 09:52 PM #35
    whatever charles i think people have the right to chop their balls off if they want, and i have the right to think they are ****ing wierd for doing it. I think her/him/his opinion is worthless and he/she should go **** themselves.

Head Honcho
    03-16-2009, 09:53 PM #36
    Quote Originally Posted by doobz26 View Post
    Satellite radio will probably succeed. Will it ever be the cash machine that we all want it to be and believe it can be someday?... hard to say at this point. Not the way things are currently operating. They need to think outside their box. Get into Walmart or whatever Mel was talking about... get backseat t.v. going... etc. Quit making excuses about circuit city and negative press. I think partnering with Malone/Maffei will help tremendously, and could be exactly what saves this company and makes it a cash machine. Current management has been disappointing.
    ^All I am saying, is what he just said^

Quote Originally Posted by trippingthespeculatingpos View Post
    whatever charles i think people have the right to chop their balls off if they want, and i have the right to think they are ****ing wierd for doing it. I think her/him/his opinion is worthless and he/she should go **** themselves.
    Just like anyone of average intelligence has the right to think you're a dummy. I'm sure it makes perfect sense in your head that we should not judge a person on their merits and accomplishments when we could judge them on changing their sex.

Let me reiterate... HUMAN GENOME PROJECT... what do you do for a living?
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Guru
    03-16-2009, 09:55 PM #37
    internet radio is a joke, just wait there are many reasons it wont ever take off in a main stream way. Omg its so hard to come up with the idea of sat radio!!!! lets see we have sat phones sat tv and oh yeah i got it sat radio!!!! im a genius!!!!!!!

Banned
    03-16-2009, 09:55 PM #38
    Then the media should present both sides:

Karmazin doesn't dismiss the threat posed by Internet radio. In fact, Sirius XM is about to join Pandora and AOL Radio in offering its own Apple (AAPL, Fortune 500) iPhone application, thereby allowing iPhone users to stream Sirius or XM via 3G wireless. Still, he's dubious that computer-generated song playlists can compete with Howard Stern or Bob Dylan. "I'm starting at a premise that says radio is not just recorded music - radio is discovery of new music," he says. "Some people would like to be able to hear songs they haven't heard before and that are not on their iPod. Some want to listen to CNN or Howard Stern, and not just to music. That's why we have a laserlike focus on getting content - because we think that content is what wins."

Given the paucity of revenue that Internet radio is producing right now - the entire industry generated $74 million last year, according to AccuStream iMedia Research, as compared to $2.4 billion for Sirius XM - it's hard to imagine how Internet radio could compete for a shock jock like Howard Stern (whom Sirius is paying $100 million a year) or for the rights to broadcast every Major League Baseball game (rights that XM is paying nearly $60 million a year for).
    Last edited by Brandon Matthews; 03-16-2009 at 10:03 PM.

Enthusiast
    03-16-2009, 10:05 PM #39
    Charles,
    Any article with any bit of negativity is a basher with some sort of agenda. Probably in bed with the shorts or the NAB. It's all a conspiracy... and the market makers are in on it. They hold the stock down on purpose... they probably are also in cahoots with the NAB and are buddies with all the shorts. Obviously this stock should be soaring... I mean.. they only threatened to file Chapter 11... they didn't actually DO it. They had positive EBITDA last quarter!! So what if they aren't issuing guidance anymore... it's the economy. Impossible for them to forecast. With a couple weeks left in Q1 they still have no idea how many subs they will have... can't blame them for that.. it's the economy.. and circuit city. And the media has the nerve to go and put a negative spin on this? I dont' get it....

Banned
    03-16-2009, 10:06 PM #40
    P.S. THIS is the article I take offense at. Not the fortune article. This article, which is why I felt that piece I wrote mattered. Where do you see non-bias in this article. THIS is the article that tanked the stock this afternoon. I call a spade a spade.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...031601493.html

paidContent.org - Sirius Founder Says Company Won't Be Able To Compete

Rory Maher
    paidContent.org
    Monday, March 16, 2009; 5:07 PM

Few would argue that Sirius (NSDQ: SIRI) is in good shape?the company has massive debt obligations and is struggling with a drop in new subscribers but its founder is more pessimistic than most about the company's future. In a long interview with Fortune Magazine, Martine Rothblatt, who started the company in 1990, said she thinks it won't be able to compete with online services like internet radio once the latter become available in cars and other devices.

Rothblatt told the magazine "there's going to be ever more bandwidth available to distribute content totally via terrestrial cellular infrastructure. And that will leave fewer and fewer unique market attributes to satellite radio." She believes as cellular networks evolve, there will be more room for streaming services like Pandora Radio or AOL (NYSE: TWX) Radio, and that people will be able to hear them, too, on car stereos and cellphones.

Rothblatt (she was a male when she founded Sirius; 'Martin' underwent a sex change in 1994) believes satellite radio missed the ideal window of opportunity when drawn-out discussions with the FCC over broadcasting licenses caused the service's launch to be delayed until 2002?she had anticipated the launch happening in the mid-to-late nineties. Sirius CEO Mel Karmazin, of course, sees the company's prospects differently. In the same Fortune story, he says that despite the increased competition from internet radio, Sirius will be fine because it introduces listeners to new music that may not be in their iPod libraries and has exclusive content from sources like Howard Stern and CNN.

Sirius has been a fixture in the news the last couple months, with the drama surrounding Karmazin's attempts to deal with its debt and Liberty's John Malone decision to throw the company a lifeline by investing in the company. Last week, Sirius announced it had narrowed its net loss in the fourth quarter of 2008 but added many fewer subscribers than the previous year's quarter, raising concerns about its vulnerability to the weak economy. In a telling move, particularly in light of Rothblatt's comments, Sirius announced last week that it would be including its service as an application on the iPhone, which will allow iPhone users to stream Sirius or XM via 3G wireless.

Page 4 of 9 ... 23456 ...