Page 19 of 74 ... 917181920212969 ...
    Joined: Jan 2009 Location: New Jersey - The Carcinogen State. Posts: 19
    02-11-2009, 12:26 AM #181

Unhappy

Sirius considers bankruptcy filing: reports

By David B. Wilkerson, MarketWatch
    Last update: 10:52 p.m. EST Feb. 10, 2009Comments: 6CHICAGO (MarketWatch) -- Staggered by debt during the worst U.S. economic crisis since the Great Depression, Sirius XM Satellite Radio Inc. could be close to filing for bankruptcy protection, according to a report Tuesday.
    Sirius XM (SIRI:sirius xm radio inc com
    News , chart , profile , more
    Last: 0.11+0.00+3.55%

4:00pm 02/10/2009

Delayed quote dataAdd to portfolio
    Analyst
    Create alert Insider
    Discuss
    Financials
    Sponsored by:
    SIRI 0.11, +0.00, +3.6%) is working with bankruptcy lawyer Mark Thompson of Simpson, Thatcher & Bartlett, and Joseph Bondi, a restructuring expert, to set up a Chapter 11 filing that could come in the next few days, the New York Times reported on its Website Tuesday evening, citing an unnamed person familiar with the situation.
    The Wall Street Journal mentioned the same names, citing two unnamed persons close to the matter, in its online edition.
    A Sirius XM spokesman declined comment Tuesday night.
    Documents and analysis are almost finished, the Times said.
    The Journal reported this week that Charlie Ergen, head of satellite provider Dish Network (DISH:dish network corp cl a
    News , chart , profile , more
    Last: 13.15-0.76-5.46%

4:00pm 02/10/2009

Delayed quote dataAdd to portfolio
    Analyst
    Create alert Insider
    Discuss
    Financials
    Sponsored by:
    DISH 13.15, -0.76, -5.5%) , has acquired most of a tranche of $300 million in Sirius XM debt that matures Tuesday, and that Sirius turned down Ergen's unsolicited bid to buy the company.
    A Sirius XM bankruptcy could pressure Ergen to make a formal offer to acquire the company, the Times said.
    XM Satellite Radio and Sirius Satellite Radio were formed in the late 1990s. Though there was skepticism in some circles that people would pay for radio when it was available for free, as it had been for decades, the satellite services gained traction by convincing automakers to make them optionally available in cars and trucks. Sirius and XM radios were also available in retail stores.
    Each company offered more than 100 channels of music or talk, across a wide array of genres and subgenres. The services were not interoperable, so that a buyer of XM equipment could not receive Sirius' service or vice versa.
    Between them, they eventually attracted several million subscribers, including some listeners who had become disillusioned with conventional broadcast radio.
    The rapid consolidation of traditional radio, made possible by the 1996 Telecom Act, helped create a perception that formats and playlists had become stale, with hundreds of stations owned by the same company sounding virtually the same.
    However, Sirius and XM lost millions of dollars each quarter, weighed down by marketing costs and other expenses. They took on big sports contracts with such leagues as the NFL, Major League Baseball and the NBA. Sirius hired the outspoken Infinity Broadcasting morning personality Howard Stern in a highly publicized move that lifted the visibility of both companies, but saddled Sirius with a fat contract for the shock jock and significant costs associated with publicizing him. XM had to ratchet up its marketing efforts at the same time to combat the barrage of hype surrounding Stern.
    In February 2007, the hemorrhaging companies announced that Sirius would acquire XM in a $13.6 billion deal. After a protracted regulatory review, the transaction was completed last July.
    To complete the acquisition of XM, Sirius took on a massive amount of debt, and the combined entity has continued to struggle.
    In the third quarter of 2008, Sirius XM lost $4.88 billion, or $1.93 a share. Subscribers rose 17% from the year-earlier quarter, but the company said declining auto sales had slowed its growth.
    The stock has lost nearly all of its value. It closed at 11 cents on Tuesday.
    David B. Wilkerson is a reporter for MarketWatch in Chicago

Addict
    02-11-2009, 12:28 AM #182
    I may sound like a lunatic but…I will throw another 500.00 at it and gain 10,000 more shares at .05…what the hell…no risk no gain.

I think we will be surprised how many buyers flood in tomorrow before the bell.

Anyone else considering to buy more shares in spite of BK THREAT ONLY.???

I will believe a BK has been filed once I see the paperwork and notice from MEL that it is a FACT...NOT RUMOR.

I am sure there will be a class action suit if it does happen...I still have doubt that it will.
    Last edited by SiriusHope; 02-11-2009 at 12:33 AM.

Enthusiast
    02-11-2009, 12:33 AM #183
    I am actually considering buying tomorrow as well.

I don't know...maybe I just enjoy heartbreak and pain....

Addict
    02-11-2009, 12:44 AM #184
    You guys make no sense. Can you send me the money you plan to invest instead ? I GUARANTEE I will return you the same amount of money in ten years (Of course I will buy Treasuries but I will pocket the interest)..

Addict
    02-11-2009, 12:48 AM #185
    Quote Originally Posted by Siriusowner View Post
    You guys make no sense. Can you send me the money you plan to invest instead ? I GUARANTEE I will return you the same amount of money in ten years (Of course I will buy Treasuries but I will pocket the interest)..

It's not your money so shut the F&%K up SO...Your remarks on these boards are all BS and after the fact. Go Back to your yahoo board hole.

Addict
    02-11-2009, 12:59 AM #186
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusHope View Post
    It's not your money so shut the F&%K up SO...Your remarks on these boards are all BS and after the fact. Go Back to your yahoo board hole.
    You are right, it is your money... until 2/17/2009.

Guru
    02-11-2009, 01:33 AM #187
    http://messages.finance.yahoo.com/St...&frt=2#4021354

full wsj article it appears some1 finnaly got the story right!!!

Guru
    02-11-2009, 01:34 AM #188
    this statement right here is more like it, maybe the price will come back up tommorow wishful thinking i know

"Sirius's total debt load is about $3.25 billion. Sirius shares fell five cents, or 44%, in after-hours trading to six cents. The company's market value has plummeted by more than 96% since last July as its crisis has worsened. Sirius hired bankruptcy and restructuring advisers several weeks ago to prepare for a possible bankruptcy filing.

The company engaged law firm Simpson, Thacher & Bartlett LLP as bankruptcy counsel and the restructuring firm of Alvarez & Marsal, people familiar with the situation said. Sirius has also been working for several weeks with investment bank Evercore Partners Inc. The hiring of bankruptcy and restructuring advisers, while not surprising given the company's financial predicament, doesn't mean a filing is imminent."

Guru
    02-11-2009, 01:47 AM #189
    Quote Originally Posted by trippingthespeculatingpos View Post
    this statement right here is more like it, maybe the price will come back up tommorow wishful thinking i know
    Tripps, let's just wait and see......don't let the negativity get you down buddy. Remember a while back we were talking about how easy it is to get negative.

Sometimes people dig too deep with blogger-style commentators. Here is CNN's take today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/11/te...adio.html?_r=1

What is.....is. Let's hope for the best for everybody.

Mentor
    02-11-2009, 01:48 AM #190
    Quote Originally Posted by trippingthespeculatingpos View Post
    http://messages.finance.yahoo.com/St...&frt=2#4021354

full wsj article it appears some1 finnaly got the story right!!!
    SJ Full article 20 minutes ago
    By MATTHEW KARNITSCHNIG and JEFFREY MCCRACKEN

Satellite mogul Charles Ergen has offered to restructure Sirius XM Radio Inc. debt and inject several hundred million dollars of capital into the company in return for control, according to people familiar with the matter.

Mr. Ergen's plan doesn't involve buying out existing shareholders, something many investors in the company had been hoping for.

Sirius rejected Mr. Ergen's offer late last year, but it remains on the table. While the two sides are still in discussions, the satellite-radio operator has given no indication that it is prepared to accept the deal, the people said.

Yet Sirius may have no other option. If it can't raise about $175 million by Feb. 17 to repay bonds held by EchoStar Corp., a satellite-technology company controlled by Mr. Ergen, Sirius will likely be forced into bankruptcy, people familiar with the matter say. In addition to the February bonds, EchoStar controls a $400 million tranche of Sirius debt that expires in December.

The standoff has turned into a test of wills between Mr. Ergen and Sirius XM Chief Executive Mel Karmazin. Both men are television-industry veterans and have often found themselves on opposite ends of the negotiating table.

A bankruptcy filing would wipe out Sirius's shareholders. Sirius's management and board would likely expose themselves to litigation if they filed for bankruptcy in the face of an offer that would preserve at least some of investors' equity in the company.

Sirius's total debt load is about $3.25 billion. Sirius shares fell five cents, or 44%, in after-hours trading to six cents. The company's market value has plummeted by more than 96% since last July as its crisis has worsened. Sirius hired bankruptcy and restructuring advisers several weeks ago to prepare for a possible bankruptcy filing.

The company engaged law firm Simpson, Thacher & Bartlett LLP as bankruptcy counsel and the restructuring firm of Alvarez & Marsal, people familiar with the situation said. Sirius has also been working for several weeks with investment bank Evercore Partners Inc. The hiring of bankruptcy and restructuring advisers, while not surprising given the company's financial predicament, doesn't mean a filing is imminent.

Write to Matthew Karnitschnig at matthew.karnitschnig@wsj.com and Jeffrey McCracken at jeff.mccracken@wsj.com