Page 67 of 74 ... 17576566676869 ...
    Mentor
    02-14-2009, 05:10 PM #661
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aqGvJ8lZUDvk

Sirius XM Is Dealmaker Karmazin’s ‘Tough One’ in 40-Year Career
    By Cécile Daurat and James Callan

Feb. 14 (Bloomberg) -- Mel Karmazin pushed Sirius shares to $6 when the company announced his hiring in November 2004. Now his combined Sirius XM Radio Inc. faces bankruptcy and the stock is trading at about 10 cents.

Over a career of more than 40 years, Karmazin, 65, drove radio-advertising sales teams to produce double-digit gains, regardless of economic conditions. He orchestrated mergers that reshaped the radio industry and befriended talk-show host Howard Stern. As president of Viacom Inc., under Chairman Sumner Redstone, he oversaw the Paramount film studio and CBS network.

“In the past, it has never paid to ultimately short Mel, but this is a tough one,” Bishop Cheen, a bond analyst at Wachovia Securities in Charlotte, North Carolina, said in a Feb. 10 interview. “This is absolutely his biggest challenge.”

Karmazin took over at New York-based Sirius after clashing with Redstone because he couldn’t get the top job at Viacom, one of the world’s largest media companies. Sirius, a pay-radio business, had started airing about two years earlier. The company said yesterday it may file for protection from creditors as early as Feb. 17 if it can’t reach an agreement to refinance debt.

On that day, Sirius XM must repay $175 million in bonds held by EchoStar Corp., the satellite group run by Charles Ergen. EchoStar bought some of Sirius XM’s debt after the company turned down an unsolicited takeover bid, according to a person familiar with the plan. Karmazin is also in talks with John Malone’s Liberty Media Corp., which controls DirecTV Group Inc., about a possible transaction, people with knowledge of that matter said.

The New York Post reported last night that Malone has offered Sirius a bridge loan of several hundred million dollars to pay the debt maturing next week, citing a person close to the situation.

Negotiating Leverage

“This is as weak as Karmazin’s negotiating leverage has been, probably in his whole career,” Tuna Amobi, a Standard & Poor’s analyst in New York who has been following the industry for 10 years, said Feb. 11.

Sirius XM has traded below $1 on the Nasdaq Stock Market since September, when investors became concerned that Karmazin wouldn’t be able to manage the debt or meet growth projections.

In August, Karmazin said Sirius XM could increase revenue even as carmakers struggled because a growing proportion of new cars were equipped to receive satellite-radio transmissions. In November, the company cut its forecast for 2009 subscriber growth by almost a million, partly because the collapse of the U.S. auto industry cut demand for radios pre-installed in cars.

‘Tough Task’

“This has been a much harder hill to climb than he expected,” Tom Taylor, executive editor of Radio-Info.com, an industry-trade Web site said Feb. 8. “This has been a very tough task for him and he is a gifted businessman and a great dealmaker.”

Taylor, based in Chicago, has written about the radio business for 20 years.

Patrick Reilly, a spokesman for Sirius XM, and Marc Lumpkin, an EchoStar spokesman, declined to comment.

Karmazin, who presided over Sirius’s $2.76 billion all-stock purchase of XM last year, said afterward that he had made an “ugly” debt deal to finance the merger. Sirius XM waited 1 1/2 years to get approval from the U.S. Federal Communications Commission. Sirius assumed more than $1 billion in debt for the deal, which closed after the credit crisis had taken hold.

Karmazin began his career in radio ad sales in 1967. While chief executive of Infinity Broadcasting Corp. in 1996, he persuaded Westinghouse Electric Corp., later renamed CBS, to take over Infinity. He became president of Viacom after that company acquired CBS for $43.4 billion in 2000.

‘Dynamic’ Leader

“I would never bet against Mel,” David Pearlman, a former senior vice president at CBS Radio, said in a Feb. 6 interview. “He’s one of the most dynamic leaders I’ve ever been around,” said Pearlman, who worked for Karmazin for about four years.

Karmazin wanted to be CEO of Viacom, Redstone wrote in a 2001 book. He resigned in June 2004, frustrated by the performance of units including the radio stations and the declining stock price, Redstone said at the time.

Howard Stern said then he was “shocked” by Karmazin’s departure, calling it a “coup d’état.” Karmazin had helped Stern get hired in 1985 after he was fired at WNBC-AM radio.

Karmazin, who didn’t have a no-compete clause in his contract, was viewed as a candidate to run other media companies. Roy Disney, who was seeking to oust Walt Disney Co.’s then-CEO Michael Eisner, said the entertainment company should consider Karmazin as a replacement.

“I would never count Karmazin out,” James Goss, an analyst at Barrington Research Associates in Chicago, said Feb. 11. “He’s been pretty forceful in having his positions felt and he’s not likely to fade away after this shakes out.”

NFL, Howard Stern

On Nov. 19, 2004, the day after Sirius XM announced Karmazin’s hiring, the shares rose 9.5 percent and pushed the company’s market value to $6.53 billion. As of yesterday, the market capitalization was about $400 million.

Sirius and XM spent hundreds of million of dollars on programming including the National Football League, leading to losses.

Stern joined Sirius a month before Karmazin did, after 30 years in free broadcasting. His five-year agreement, which began in January 2006, cost $500 million and included stock-based incentive payments based on subscriber goals.

“Do I think it will survive? I do,” Stern said about Sirius XM on his Feb. 11 program after reading newspaper clips saying it may file for bankruptcy. Stern said he hadn’t talked to Karmazin. “He must have a plan,” Stern said.

Addict
    Joined: Nov 2008 Location: Vancouver Island Canada Posts: 583
    02-14-2009, 06:03 PM #662
    http://video.aol.com/video-detail/ma...ger/1742551553

Mel Should have punched him!!!

Sorry old video I am just bored!!!

"If we screw people along the way because they bet against us that's their business!" "Mel Karmazin"
    Last edited by Hopeful; 02-14-2009 at 06:08 PM.

Addict
    02-14-2009, 06:41 PM #663
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post

"If we screw people along the way because they bet against us that's their business!" "Mel Karmazin"
    I hope Mel could start screwing everyone starting on Tuesday, but since he said that, he probably needs his colon replaced from the pounding he has taken.

Enthusiast
    02-14-2009, 06:59 PM #664
    This Bloomberg article is the best PR piece I've seen on Karmazin in many, many years. It is entirely positive in tone. I hope it signals a turn around for the stock and for successive reporting from Bloomberg and everyone else.

Karmazin has been getting chumped by the media for a long time. I am happy to see this article. It is fantastic.

Guru
    02-14-2009, 07:00 PM #665
    it was all to set up siri as comeback story of the year, everybody loves a comeback.

Enthusiast
    02-14-2009, 07:03 PM #666

Feb debt.

Quote Originally Posted by doobz26 View Post
    Rick,
    I would say dilution will have some effect on holding the stock back. Hard to say how much though.
    I believe that these was debt that was shorted, if this debt is payed off; don't they have to buy the shares off the open market?

I think these shares would be retired as well.

Any thoughts?

02-14-2009, 07:33 PM #667
    what makes you think it was debt tha was shorted

02-14-2009, 08:12 PM #668
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post

What was really interesting and I paid no attention to it last year when it aired.

Is the fact that Mel says: The two SAT/TV providers have been waiting for this merger for a long time.

Seems like something has been in the works for a long time between Mel and the other companies.

02-14-2009, 08:14 PM #669
    Quote Originally Posted by ray View Post
    what makes you think it was debt tha was shorted
    Shares were lent out by SIRI, as converts, to short the stock and pay down the dept.

02-14-2009, 08:30 PM #670
    Quote Originally Posted by doobz26 View Post
    I know I wish I would have listened to Cramer. You guys can hate him all you want... but the fact of the matter is he was right on with his calls after the merger. I would have saved a whole crapload of money had I took his advice.

http://www.thestreet.com/video/10433...on-sirius.html
    I don't hate cramer, I just don't agree with him most of the time.

I know he has helped a lot of people, and he is not perfect.

I felt really bad for the guy that called into his show last year asking if he should sell his position in Bear/Sterns.

We all know what happened to Bear!!

He is a fly in the ointment to me, and when I have my money dancing around the market, I want it as far away from cramer as possible!!

He has some good insight, its just not the way I see it.

good luck next week!!!

Page 67 of 74 ... 17576566676869 ...