Page 2 of 2 12
    Mentor
    02-02-2009, 06:02 PM #11
    SiriusOwner: Do you realize what it takes to get a car manufacturer to change out factory installed radios? First they have to be tested to make sure that the power use and heat production is not significantly different than the current radio in there. If it is, they have to make adjustments and then retest.

There are also contractual obligations that have to be considered. GM has a contract to install XM radios. Will that contract get changed? It would have to be at the consent of both the SIRI and GM... but do you think GM is going to want to change things in the middle of production? Not unless there was something in it for them, especially with the way their business is operating right now.

Perhaps you will start to see changes in the 2010 model year, but I would not really expect to see it before that. Even that is stretching it somewhat...

Enthusiast
    02-02-2009, 08:27 PM #12
    Wow! Sirius/XM wants bankruptsy? I didn't know that! I must have missed that article! Can you tell me where you read or heard that? Maybe from David Rehr or one of his minions?

Quote Originally Posted by SiriusXMInvestor View Post
    Further, there are only about 12-14 million individual sat subscribers. Don't be fooled by the 20 million sub numbers. There 6-8 million multiple subs. SiriusXM does an extremely poor job of selling itself. There is a reason why, they want to BK and reorganize.

Enthusiast
    02-02-2009, 08:30 PM #13
    Absolutely!

[QUOTE=Newman;11496]There are also contractual obligations that have to be considered. GM has a contract to install XM radios. Will that contract get changed? It would have to be at the consent of both the SIRI and GM... but do you think GM is going to want to change things in the middle of production? Not unless there was something in it for them, especially with the way their business is operating right now. [QUOTE]
    Last edited by Newman; 02-02-2009 at 09:38 PM. Reason: fixed the quotes

Enthusiast
    02-02-2009, 08:39 PM #14
    Actually, Satellite radio is satellite radio. There is only one, regardless of name. Sirius is stuck with two names and networks thanks to the FCC. The hang tags are a good idea. I have found that most car sales people don't know much about what they sell. They are better trained in the art of selling than they are knowledgeable about thier product.

My wife and I were at a Chrysler dealership picking out a company supplied vehicle for her and found that the salesman knew nothing about satrad. By the time we were done, we had sold HIM on Sirius/XM.

Which prompts the question: What do the sales people get out of a satrad sale?

Quote Originally Posted by nisvan View Post
    Here's my point: I don't think the average consumer gives a crap. To them, satellite radio is satellite radio.

Mentor
    02-02-2009, 09:41 PM #15
    Quote Originally Posted by bananaz
    There is only one, regardless of name. Sirius is stuck with two names and networks thanks to the FCC.
    To be honest, what does it matter?

Under General Motors, they have the names of Chevy, GMAC, Hummer, Saturn, etc, etc, etc. What difference does a name make? Are they not made by the exact same people, using pretty much identical parts? Who really cares?

Guru
    02-02-2009, 09:50 PM #16
    good point newmna, and i take it u didnt sign the cnbc petition ^_^, you dont think sirius isnt affected by cnbc? should i of made the topic, stop cnbc from ruining stocks LIKE siri?

Mentor
    02-02-2009, 10:21 PM #17
    The problem is, I do not think it is ONLY CNBC. I think it is alot of the financial media that has a very strong bias.

And no, it would still should have been other stocks or off topic.

Guru
    02-03-2009, 02:11 AM #18
    pffffff, its not like they're isnt a million unused topics just sitting around here whats one more, and you know this is the most read of the forums so i wanted more signatures. Down with cnbc!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enthusiast
    02-03-2009, 10:37 AM #19
    It only matters in that it muddies the waters regarding brand recognition. If they could dump the XM only marketing it would streamline operations a little more and reduce confusion. To us it doesn't matter but uninformed people can be confused by it.

Each of GM's brands were originally designed to have a unique identity for marketing purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    To be honest, what does it matter?

Under General Motors, they have the names of Chevy, GMAC, Hummer, Saturn, etc, etc, etc. What difference does a name make? Are they not made by the exact same people, using pretty much identical parts? Who really cares?
    Last edited by bananaz; 02-03-2009 at 10:39 AM.

Page 2 of 2 12