Page 19 of 22 ... 91718192021 ...
    Guru
    01-25-2009, 04:50 AM #181
    Quote Originally Posted by trippingthespeculatingpos View Post
    okay i slept like a 60 year old man lol
    I have that problem, I fart and snore a lot.

Enthusiast
    01-25-2009, 11:53 AM #182

i get it but.......

farting is natural , snoring i understand as well but i can't stand it.

Mentor
    01-25-2009, 02:01 PM #183
    SO

Thanks for your recent posts dealing with margin accounts and loaning/shorting of stock, and how the market makers work. Very interesting and helpful. You have alot of knowledge that you can and have demonstrated to the rest of us. Please cont to post and try to remain constructive. Every now and then, if someone crosses the line, by all means put them in their place. But for now, constructive helps us all.

Demian..Thanks for keeping us posted on the daily SiriXM news. I in the Home Health field and only have my Blackberry to try to keep up with current events throughout the day. Coming to SiriusBuzz at the end of the day to find out daily news without having to search the internet is very helpful. BTW you got me to come over to SiriusBuzz after all of the ragging you did to get more people to post here.

Mentor
    01-25-2009, 02:02 PM #184
    Bill

Sorry.. thanks for the technical information that you post. I do not have that kind of knowledge and your posts help to keep me/us informed.

Addict
    01-25-2009, 04:14 PM #185
    [QUOTE=trippingthespeculatingpos;10269]http://www.investopedia.com/printabl...securities.asp

It is important for you to understand that IF the shares lose value THAT is when you lose control of them. That is also when your broker can do as he pleases because it is his money after all (margin). That is why I said, "if they lose value your broker can liquidate them without your consent", I guess I did not mention that they can lend them also ( but ONLY if you have a margin call)... that is a risk they take (your broker) and they can not lend them IF there are no negative balances in your account. You have to take risks to make money, right ?

Keep in mind that I said that you have to give your consent for everything.

Now, please answer this: why would you buy shares on margin ? will your broker be allowed to lend them if everything turns out as you expected ? (The answer is no... without your consent).

ps: I do not buy shares on margin. I short them.
    Last edited by Siriusowner; 01-25-2009 at 04:21 PM.

Mentor
    01-25-2009, 05:55 PM #186
    Siriusowner,

I thought we cleared this up for you already. If one has a margin account, the shares can be lent out to others by the broker for shorting, whether there is a margin call or the shares lose or gain value.

This is a fact...

Did you not read Tripping's post where he backed this fact up as you requested?
    Last edited by Demian; 01-25-2009 at 06:54 PM.

Mentor
    01-25-2009, 07:00 PM #187
    Siriusowner,

You are just flat out wrong about this. Here is more info that this is fact....

Do you have anything to back up your claims?

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2006/1211/152.html

Brokerage firms are free to lend out any shares that customers put in margin accounts, the kind of account that allows the customer to borrow against his securities. Take a look at the fine print on your brokerage application. If you see a line of credit attached you've probably got a margin account.

Does your brokerage pass along to you any of the profits it gets from its stock loan department? Probably not. But straight-arrow brokerages at least make up to you the tax cost of not getting genuine dividends.

http://www.andrewtobias.com/bkoldcolumns/980319.html

Short-Sale Mechanics
    Published on March, 19, 1998

When you sell stock short, you are selling shares you don’t own, hoping they will go down. Your broker just borrows someone else’s shares for you to sell. Eventually, you have to buy them back and return them (unless you’re really lucky and the stock goes all the way to zero and disappears, in which case there’s nothing to return). If you can buy the shares back for less then you got for them, you make a profit; if you have to pay more, you suffer a loss.

But where do brokers get shares to lend short-sellers?
    The first thing they do is look to see whether one of their other customers holds the same stock in a margin account. Anyone with a margin account has signed an agreement authorizing the broker to lend his shares. He will not know they’ve been loaned, and he needn’t worry about it either way. He’ll still get his dividend (it will come out of the short-seller’s account); he will still be able to sell at a moment’s notice. (The broker will just replace the shares by borrowing someone else’s shares. Or, if that proves impossible, he’ll "buy in" the short-seller, forcing him to cover his short — typically at a loss — and return the shares. This doesn’t often happen, but it definitely can. It’s one more risk of the hazardous short-selling game.)

Brokers love short sales, because although you take all the risk, they typically get the interest on the proceeds of the stock you’ve sold. That’s right: you shorted 1,000 shares of some stock at $50; well, that means the broker got $50,000 in cash money in return . . . but you won’t find that money in your account. It’s earning interest in his account, whether he be a deep discounter or the most expensive full-service firm on the block.

(Active, pushy customers can sometimes twist arms and, if they do enough short-selling, persuade their brokers to share some of that interest. But few even know to ask and fewer still will be told yes. If you do $20,000 a year in commissions, say, well, that might be a different story.)

If your own broker doesn’t have shares of stock in one of his other client’s margin accounts to lend you, he will call around to find a broker or institution that does have shares to lend. Harvard, with its $10 billion endowment, makes some good money this way.

When a broker or institution lends stock, the "rent" it charges is interest on the value of the shares. In other words, your own broker has to split some of the largess with the lender (making him all the less eager to share any of his share with you).
    Last edited by Demian; 01-25-2009 at 07:52 PM.

Guru
    01-25-2009, 07:36 PM #188
    well look's like s.o is wrong, the question is, will he admit it haha, you know because myself and others included are so dumb when it comes to stocks according to s.o.

Addict
    01-25-2009, 11:44 PM #189
    Quote Originally Posted by trippingthespeculatingpos View Post
    well look's like s.o is wrong, the question is, will he admit it haha, you know because myself and others included are so dumb when it comes to stocks according to s.o.
    Now you have proved and admitted several times that you are dumb...We, the people of this forum, trust you.
    Last edited by Siriusowner; 01-25-2009 at 11:47 PM.

Guru
    01-26-2009, 12:15 AM #190
    Quote Originally Posted by Siriusowner View Post
    Now you have proved and admitted several times that you are dumb...We, the people of this forum, trust you.
    when have i proven that im dumb? when i showed that i know more about short selling than you do even though you claim to be an expert, just because i dont claim to be an expert doesnt make me dumb. Everytime i try to like you, you remind why its impossible, HAVE A GOOD DAY, COCKFACE!

Page 19 of 22 ... 91718192021 ...