Sirius Satellite Radio announced today at the Los Angeles Auto Show that Ford Motor Company will be the first auto manufacturer to offer Sirius' new data service suite, Sirius Travel Link(TM). The industry-leading technology from Sirius is being showcased on the 2009 Lincoln MKS, a new luxury sedan from Lincoln also making its debut at the annual Los Angeles auto show.Sirius Travel Link, when combined with Ford's next-generation navigation system, will provide users with a unique, information-rich in-car experience. Sirius Travel Link is a suite of data services with features that include:
* Traffic Data: Combines real-time traffic speed and flow data with accident and incident information to allow the user to navigate around congested areas.
* Weather: Coast-to-coast weather data, current conditions and 5-day forecasts, detailed storm cell information, hurricane and tropical storm tracking, local wind speeds, and even ski resort conditions.
* Fuel Prices: Drawing on information from over 120,000 gas stations, Sirius Travel Link sorts fuel options by price, distance, or alphabetically. If requested, the Ford navigation system can route users to the gasoline station with the lowest fuel price.
* Sports: No matter your passion - NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, NASCAR, college football and basketball, or golf -SIRIUS Travel Link provides scores and schedules and can be personalized for the user's selected teams.
* Movies: With listings from over 4,500 movie theaters, SIRIUS Travel Link helps consumers plan ahead by providing movie times, theater addresses, ratings, and run lengths. Using the Ford navigation system, the data can be sorted by distance or alphabetically. If requested, the navigation system can route users to the selected movie theater.
"The SIRIUS Travel Link service provides consumers with valuable driving and entertainment information," said Jim Buczkowski, Director of Electrical Systems Engineering at Ford. "Whether understanding the current traffic conditions on a daily commute, reviewing a five day weather forecast or seeing how your favorite sports teams performed, SIRIUS Travel Link combined with our next-generation navigation system provides up-to-the-minute information that will certainly enhance our customer's ownership experience."
"SIRIUS is proud to partner with Ford on this first-to-market feature on its 2009 Model Year vehicles" said Doug Wilsterman, SVP & General Manager OEM Division at SIRIUS. "With the introduction of their new navigation system, Ford's engineers have created a product that seamlessly integrates the capabilities of our SIRIUS Travel Link data service into a valuable, easy to use feature. This service, along with our great radio programming, will only add to the terrific in-car experience for drivers and passengers of these vehicles."
When launched next summer, the 2009 Lincoln MKS will be the first vehicle in its class to offer SIRIUS Travel Link(TM) services integrated into a voice- activated navigation system. In addition to the Lincoln MKS, the SIRIUS Travel Link service will be launching on multiple Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles in 2008.
Data content provided by SIRIUS Travel Link is broadcast through SIRIUS' existing satellite and repeater infrastructure, offering uninterrupted, coast- to-coast coverage. The data is accessed and managed in the vehicle using a new high-mounted, 8-inch touch-screen menu.
A six-month introductory subscription to the SIRIUS Travel Link service combined with the SIRIUS Satellite Radio audio service will be included in every Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicle equipped with Ford's next-generation navigation system.
Position - Long Sirius, No Position Ford