08-05-2013, 08:35 PM #1

No signal at all for 1 week regardless of antenna

Hi guys, 1st time poster and having a hard time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have one of the ANCIENT Sirius Starmate ST1's. My home kit is about 8 yrs old. After no subscription for about 2 yrs, I fired it back up.

I noticed shortly after activating I would get a strong signal that would last all day, then the next day I would have to re-position the antenna. Some days this would work ok, other days when I got no signal I would unplug the power & antenna from the receiver for a few seconds, power back up and get a strong signal. This past week, after moving the antenna everywhere, doing the unplugging, and getting refreshes, no signal at all. I have also noticed that the connection from the antenna to radio is really loose although the radio does detect the antenna.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. SiriusXM tech support told me to replace the radio and antenna which I may have to do given the age of my hardware, but thought I would check in with ppl here.

Thanks in advance.

Head Honcho
    08-06-2013, 03:23 PM #2
    Sounds like a classic case of loose connection. Is the ST1 sitting on a base or does the antenna plug directly in?

If it plugs directly in, try wedging something around the outside of the plug to force it into the connection point on the receiver. A piece of paper, plastic, anything at all. Or just sit there and hold the antenna into the radio and see of the connection works, if it does, then jam something in there to create the same pressure your hand is creating.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

08-06-2013, 06:58 PM #3
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    Sounds like a classic case of loose connection. Is the ST1 sitting on a base or does the antenna plug directly in?

If it plugs directly in, try wedging something around the outside of the plug to force it into the connection point on the receiver. A piece of paper, plastic, anything at all. Or just sit there and hold the antenna into the radio and see of the connection works, if it does, then jam something in there to create the same pressure your hand is creating.
    Thanks for the reply. I did try holding it in place but still no signal at all, not even any fluctuations in signal.

Head Honcho
    08-07-2013, 01:25 PM #4
    Just to be 100% clear, dont just hold it in, push it in put pressure on the side of it. Its hard to explain but, push it in and put diagonal force into it. The antenna contact points are on the side of the plug.

If that doesnt work, try a different antenna. If that doesn't work, your ST1 had a longer run than most, its time to retire.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder