Page 1 of 2 12
    Addict
    08-10-2009, 12:22 AM #1

Averting the Worst

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/10/op...gman.html?_r=1

Nobel prize winner in Economics. Might be just a little smarter than
    Just Sirius and John together (thogh i hate to lump any 2 people together).

Addict
    08-10-2009, 12:51 AM #2
    Posting this simply to bring this important article back to front and center.

Addict
    08-10-2009, 09:31 AM #3
    Still waiting for comments.

Guru
    08-10-2009, 11:06 AM #4
    First of all, it is an opinion piece, second he is a liberial and so is it any wonder that he contradicts himself and says the opposite when the shoe is on the other foot. As for the Nobel prize as long as you hate America and/or are a liberial then you are one (actually 1,000) up on the rest. Need I mention Al Gore also won the Nobel Prize.

Second, I dont have to mention that his whole article says that the economy still sucks.

Third, There was one part about the article that even suggested that the stimulas was working and on that, it is impossible to try and say how many jobs that were saved. He even stated himself (on his blog back in July of 2007)that back in 2004 the economy has actually lost 1 million jobs because there needs to be 100,000 jobs created a month before there is any real gain. So one would have to ask when there is a loss of 236,000 jobs in July, how he can now give credit to the Obama stimulas (that has yet to be spent (95% of which)) is responsible for anything.

Increasing unemployment benefits only prolongs the pain.

P.S. there is a reason the Bush tax cuts gave us the shortest and shallowest recession in history.

I am also waiting to here your explanation as to how tax cuts caused this recession.
    Last edited by john; 08-10-2009 at 11:12 AM.

Addict
    08-10-2009, 02:10 PM #5
    Bush tax cuts also contributed to the exploding deficit . A short term fix that
    was bad for the economy long term. Even Bill Gates and Warren Buffett practically begged to be taxed more. The rich have made way too much money. All one has to look at is the statisitics of how much money is now in the hands of the top !% wealthy of the population. The middle class was screwed.

Guru
    08-10-2009, 02:21 PM #6
    Quote Originally Posted by lloyd Handwerker View Post
    Bush tax cuts also contributed to the exploding deficit . A short term fix that
    was bad for the economy long term. Even Bill Gates and Warren Buffett practically begged to be taxed more. The rich have made way too much money. All one has to look at is the statisitics of how much money is now in the hands of the top !% wealthy of the population. The middle class was screwed.

You twit, The increasing of the deficit by it self is not the reason that causes a recession. It is only when the increasing deficit causes inflation to go out of control that it causes a recession. THAT DID NOT HAPPEN DURING THE BUSH YEARS. It was not till now that economist are talking about hyper inflation if the deficit cant be brought under control.

Addict
    08-10-2009, 02:54 PM #7
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    First of all, it is an opinion piece, second he is a liberial and so is it any wonder that he contradicts himself and says the opposite when the shoe is on the other foot. As for the Nobel prize as long as you hate America and/or are a liberial then you are one (actually 1,000) up on the rest. Need I mention Al Gore also won the Nobel Prize.

Second, I dont have to mention that his whole article says that the economy still sucks.

Third, There was one part about the article that even suggested that the stimulas was working and on that, it is impossible to try and say how many jobs that were saved. He even stated himself (on his blog back in July of 2007)that back in 2004 the economy has actually lost 1 million jobs because there needs to be 100,000 jobs created a month before there is any real gain. So one would have to ask when there is a loss of 236,000 jobs in July, how he can now give credit to the Obama stimulas (that has yet to be spent (95% of which)) is responsible for anything.

Increasing unemployment benefits only prolongs the pain.

P.S. there is a reason the Bush tax cuts gave us the shortest and shallowest recession in history.

I am also waiting to here your explanation as to how tax cuts caused this recession.
    I know he is liberal. It doesnt make him wrong. So all nobel prize winners
    "hate America". That is one of the stupidest things you have said yet.
    If you really believe that you are pretty twisted.

Yes the economy still sucks. I think we are in the midst of the worst recession since the 1930's arent we. That would mean we have a lot of work to do to recover from what the Bush administration left us. Its only been 6 months since Bush left office. It takes years to TRULY recover from as deep and different a recession (consumer driven) as this one. Not to mention all the large and deep seated structural problems we have in this country with health care and energy etc.

I keep mentioning a logic 101 course for you but you seem to have refused it. If you lose 236,000 jobs but you would have lost 600,000 without any stimulus then the point is the stimulus has helped . I dont know if only 5% of the stimulus has kicked in . I think its probably higher but i quess we have something to look forward to as more stimulus kicks in. Yes i would like the stimulus to move into the economy faster. But i do remember that
    you opposed the Cash for Clunkers program even though that is moviing stimulus into the system pretty darn fast.

Addict
    08-10-2009, 02:59 PM #8
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    You twit, The increasing of the deficit by it self is not the reason that causes a recession. It is only when the increasing deficit causes inflation to go out of control that it causes a recession. THAT DID NOT HAPPEN DURING THE BUSH YEARS. It was not till now that economist are talking about hyper inflation if the deficit cant be brought under control.
    "It is only when the increasing deficit causes inflation to go out of control that it causes a recession."

Totally confused. Havent we been in a recession for almost 2 years. There is now low inflation. please explain.

I didnt say the increasing of the deficit by itself causes a recession.

Guru
    08-10-2009, 03:13 PM #9
    "It is only when the increasing deficit causes inflation to go out of control that it causes a recession."

Totally confused. Havent we been in a recession for almost 2 years. There is now low inflation. please explain.

I didnt say the increasing of the deficit by itself causes a recession.

Hey dumbass, I did not say that high deficits where the only reason for a recession.

Because you are a dumbass I will explain it again for you. The only way the Bush tax cuts would have been responsible for a recession would be because it caused the difcit to expand to a point that if made the dollar drop to a point where it caused inflation to take off.

To be precise we only entered into a recession in the 1st quarter of 2008. The reason is a recession is always been 2 consecutive quarters of a negitive GDP. Which happen for the first time in the 1st quarter of 2008.

Guru
    08-10-2009, 03:32 PM #10
    I know he is liberal. It doesnt make him wrong. So all nobel prize winners
    "hate America". That is one of the stupidest things you have said yet.
    If you really believe that you are pretty twisted.

Yes the economy still sucks. I think we are in the midst of the worst recession since the 1930's arent we. That would mean we have a lot of work to do to recover from what the Bush administration left us. Its only been 6 months since Bush left office. It takes years to TRULY recover from as deep and different a recession (consumer driven) as this one. Not to mention all the large and deep seated structural problems we have in this country with health care and energy etc.

I keep mentioning a logic 101 course for you but you seem to have refused it. If you lose 236,000 jobs but you would have lost 600,000 without any stimulus then the point is the stimulus has helped . I dont know if only 5% of the stimulus has kicked in . I think its probably higher but i quess we have something to look forward to as more stimulus kicks in. Yes i would like the stimulus to move into the economy faster. But i do remember that
    you opposed the Cash for Clunkers program even though that is moviing stimulus into the system pretty darn fast.

First of all the Noble program is far liberial leaning and so are most of the people that decide who gets what. That alone gives them a bias.

Bush also was left a recession, which he turned into the shortest and shallowest recession in history all that with the worst terrorist attack in history which took an estimated 1.2 to 1.5 TRILLION hit to the economy. Now you must have been aware of the fact that everyone in the MSM was amazed at how well our economy was to be able to take so many hits and still forge on.

Finally, you have no proof that any jobs where saved. The point to my bringing this up was that if Obama saved as many jobs as this guy says then where was that same reasoning when Bush created 250,000 jobs to the plus side in a quarter and this guy says that he actually lost jobs. Like I side it is what happens to a bias opinion, I dont care how many Nobel prizes you win, you are going to be wrong when you let your bias get into the mix.

Page 1 of 2 12