Page 1 of 3 123
    01-08-2009, 09:35 AM #1

SIRIUS XM Radio Presents MiRGE, the First Interoperable Satellite Radio

The "SIRIUS Everything plus XM Everything" package will be available at a monthly cost of $19.99, which is a savings on the cost of paying two monthly subscriptions for both services. With an MSRP of $249.99, MiRGE is scheduled to be available in early spring 2009 at shop.sirius.com and shop.xmradio.com.

"MiRGE is the first interoperable radio designed to receive 100% of SIRIUS' and XM's dynamic programming and is a major advancement in satellite radio technology," said Jim Meyer, President, Operations and Sales, SIRIUS XM Radio. "SIRIUS XM Radio delivers more value than ever - enabling subscribers to hear everything available without the need to buy multiple radios and pay two monthly subscriptions."

The MiRGE can:

-- Effortlessly switch between SIRIUS and XM at the touch of a button
    -- Display channel information on a large, customizable color screen
    -- Display a real-time programming guide - view the current channel plus
    three other channels at the same time
    -- Pause, rewind and replay up to 60 minutes of live SIRIUS or XM
    programming
    -- Surf channels on the fly using the large rotary tuning knob
    -- Alert listeners to favorite artists and songs that are playing on
    another channel of the active service with TuneSelect
    -- Track the latest scores and update on stock while listening to live
    SIRIUS XM programming
    -- Save 10 favorite SIRIUS and XM channels for fast access
    -- Lock and unlock channels individually or lock all explicit content
    channels on both services with easy to use parental controls

MiRGE includes an interoperable vehicle antenna, vehicle dock, vehicle power adapter, cassette adapter, aux in cable, vent and adhesive mount for easy vehicle installations and remote control. The radio is compact and lightweight and can easily be moved from the car to the home, office, or in between with optional accessories that include the MiRGE Home Kit, the MiRGE Sound System, and the MiRGE Compact Sound System.

MiRGE measures 4.5" x 2.5" x .78" and is just 4.7 ounces.
    http://investor.sirius.com/releasede...leaseID=358155

Enthusiast
    01-08-2009, 10:27 AM #2

01-08-2009, 11:26 AM #3
    What a garbage waste of time. This thing is overpriced and unnecessary. If this is the big new product release news... Sirius XM is screwed.

Guru
    01-08-2009, 12:19 PM #4
    I have to admit, this is lackluster at best since the channel changes made the music nearly identical.

What we need to take from this release is this interop radio is the future radio, the interop radio is the only radio that is going to be coming out once supplies run out. Once this radio is the only radio on the shelves then "ALA CARTE" becomes huge. Instead of Hip hop nation on sirius and XM we will be able to pick ala carte music from across each format.

5 years from now when all the old radios are dead (maybe more) channel changes are going to happen again, except there will be additional channels for those with the interop radio and less channels for those with old radios.
    Last edited by imromo24; 01-08-2009 at 12:22 PM.

Addict
    01-08-2009, 12:22 PM #5

SIRIUS XM Radio Presents MiRGE, the First Interoperable Satellite Radio

Clueless...Do me a favor TAKE A LONG WALK OFF A SHORT BRIDGE....

Guru
    01-08-2009, 01:33 PM #6
    i think you mean pier?

01-08-2009, 01:40 PM #7
    I know this product may seem pointless due to the channel lineup changes. However, wasn't the production of an interoperable radio a mandate of the FCC that was part of the merger approval?????????

Daniel

Addict
    01-08-2009, 01:51 PM #8
    Quote Originally Posted by imromo24 View Post
    i think you mean pier?
    No I was worried that a pier might be high enough!!

01-08-2009, 02:13 PM #9
    That makes no sense at all and I have no idea why you are attacking me personally??? Because I have an opinion? One that is shared by quite a few people may I add.

01-08-2009, 02:58 PM #10
    Romo I like the idea you brought up in the comments under the blog regarding separate signals for different content, better audio quality, etc. I hope management brainstorms along the same lines, even if it never gets implemented it shows that they are at least thinking. Everyone's right, its "useless" for all intents and purposes now with the consolidated channels, however, it opens the door for some other interesting possibilities.

It would be a temporary solution in my eyes. I don't know enough about the technical aspects, but to me it seems counterintuitive to try to maintain two different types of constellations. What's the life on those birds? Also, I wonder how easy it is to implement dual tuning, to receive content from both signals at the same time.

I do think long term, if this company survives, the satellite medium itself will become a thing of the past as the United States (very long term) inevitably shifts to internet access everywhere. I know I plug my laptop into my stereo and stream radio more than I bother to hook in my xMp3. Especially with things like Starplayr that make the listening experience so intuitive and interactive, like digital cable. They should defintely work on developing software to release onto PC's the same way they come with Windows Media Player or iTunes. There's nothing exciting about using a browser window from the stone age, with a very basic streaming application. Give people some bells and whistles to oooh and ahhh about.

Satellite signal while you are on the road, internet in your Wifi house, and streaming on your PDA. Give them a complete audio experience.

If they can keep their heads above water long enough to survive this transition period, and straighten themselves out, they are going to be one hell of a powerful media company.

Page 1 of 3 123