Page 2 of 24 123412 ...
    Mentor
    12-14-2009, 05:49 PM #11
    sc.jpg GLD- street tracks gold trust shares

12-14-2009, 11:30 PM #12
    OT, but please bear with me.

Tonight, my house got broken in to. The bad guys got away with about $5,000 worth of stuff (Apple Macbook Air laptop, my Nikon D2h and 80-200mm/2.8 lens, etc.). Yes, we feel violated. However, there is a bright spot...

I have 3 cameras recording to a DVR around my house, in addition to a wireless alarm system (door and motion sensors). All of these did their job while we were at work and the bad guy paid a visit.

1. We have GREAT digital video of the bad guy. He didn't see the first camera, and that's the one that got him. The second camera, he was looking for and put on a hat and a bandanna around his face. Too late...
    2. Our alarm (which isn't monitored per se...it just make a god-awful noise for 2-3 minutes) also got him. He broke in our rear bedroom, the walked across the foyer. BIG mistake. Our motion detector got him and set off the alarm. He then had about 1 minute to grab what he could, as he thought the police would be called at any second.

In short, let this be a lesson that maybe some of you fine folks here on the Market Watch forum can learn and live by: If you don't have cameras on your property, GET THEM. If you don't have an alarm system (even if it's not monitored), GET ONE.

The police said we made their day when they saw the video of the guy that the cameras captured. Plus, we have serial numbers for all the stuff he took.

We have about an 80-90% chance of catching the guy. Once the detectives see the video, one of them will probably say, "Hey, I know that guy." And that's the end of the story.

If not...our serial numbers will turn up in pawn shops, as they have to report them every week by WV law. If so...the pawn shop will have their drivers license photocopied and video of the guy/girl who brough the stuff in to the pawn shop.

In short: Get cameras for your house. Get an alarm system. Make sure they are always working to protect all that you own and those you love.

We will be fine. Christmas presents can (and will) be replaced as well as the other things this dumbass took from us. We are safe and secure, protected by our cameras, our alarm system, and if all else fails, Mr. Sig Sauer by my bed will deter any further activity.

Please apply what I've said to your individual lives, fellow Sirius Buzz Market Watch folks. It is worth the time/effort/expense in the long run.

Now...tomorrow is D-day for QASP! I can't wait to see what happens...if anything.

Guru
    12-15-2009, 02:28 AM #13
    Quote Originally Posted by GoHerdGreg View Post

Tonight, my house got broken in to. The bad guys got away with about $5,000 worth of stuff (Apple Macbook Air laptop, my Nikon D2h and 80-200mm/2.8 lens, etc.). Yes, we feel violated. However, there is a bright spot...

I have 3 cameras recording to a DVR around my house, in addition to a wireless alarm system (door and motion sensors). All of these did their job while we were at work and the bad guy paid a visit.

1. We have GREAT digital video of the bad guy. He didn't see the first camera, and that's the one that got him. The second camera, he was looking for and put on a hat and a bandanna around his face. Too late...
    2. Our alarm (which isn't monitored per se...it just make a god-awful noise for 2-3 minutes) also got him. He broke in our rear bedroom, the walked across the foyer. BIG mistake. Our motion detector got him and set off the alarm. He then had about 1 minute to grab what he could, as he thought the police would be called at any second.

In short, let this be a lesson that maybe some of you fine folks here on the Market Watch forum can learn and live by: If you don't have cameras on your property, GET THEM. If you don't have an alarm system (even if it's not monitored), GET ONE.

The police said we made their day when they saw the video of the guy that the cameras captured. Plus, we have serial numbers for all the stuff he took.

We have about an 80-90% chance of catching the guy. Once the detectives see the video, one of them will probably say, "Hey, I know that guy." And that's the end of the story.

If not...our serial numbers will turn up in pawn shops, as they have to report them every week by WV law. If so...the pawn shop will have their drivers license photocopied and video of the guy/girl who brough the stuff in to the pawn shop.

In short: Get cameras for your house. Get an alarm system. Make sure they are always working to protect all that you own and those you love.

We will be fine. Christmas presents can (and will) be replaced as well as the other things this dumbass took from us. We are safe and secure, protected by our cameras, our alarm system, and if all else fails, Mr. Sig Sauer by my bed will deter any further activity.

Please apply what I've said to your individual lives, fellow Sirius Buzz Market Watch folks. It is worth the time/effort/expense in the long run.

Now...tomorrow is D-day for QASP! I can't wait to see what happens...if anything.
    Hey Buddy,

What a violation of your life. I hate thieves and dishonest people. I hope that you and the Police can put this all together and catch them before they pass this off onto a front. I know that you have insurance and with a security system like you have, plus the serial numbers and such, you should get paid back.

This happened to me before, years ago, and my parents' house, where they made off big time. Back then, the reason that one of the two got caught was because one of them cut the other one's throat. Even at that, the guns were all ready fronted out and never returned...my Mom and Dad got some simple stuff back like small T.V.'s and things that really didn't matter. The jewels were gone...the guns were gone...and hidden money was gone....It is so intrusive and terrible.

I can see that you are being cool, which is cool, but the bastards are very un-cool and the quicker they get caught...the better!

I am for you Greg, God bless your and your family!
    Last edited by billhart22; 12-15-2009 at 02:32 AM.

Guru
    12-15-2009, 02:50 AM #14
    Bummed out? Need motivation? Just lost?

Well, here is the tonic for you! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrO4YZeyl0I

Turn your speakers one and have one hell of a good day!

Mentor
    12-15-2009, 03:56 AM #15
    Greg, that totally sucks ass...

I couldn't imagine. Someone once busted my car window and jacked my car stereo and the rest of the crap in the car... including my tire guage. It was parked behind the house even. Luckily, they didn't pump the trunk hatch, which was right next to the driver seat - for whatever reason, I had a shotgun in there. When I found it, I literally remember thinking I wanted a shower, like I was on the lifetime network or something.

I don't own a house, never been close, but man it would freak me out. I carry my computer with me 24/7, so other than my checkbook, I'd be ok.

One other thing to add to the list though - spend the extra $100 and backup your computers in a separate location. I keep a fully bootable SuperDuper! backup on one disk, and a time machine backup on another, the latter is hidden at work - our office is a dumping ground of crap going back 20 years, so no one will find it, and nothing is ever thrown away.

Mentor
    12-15-2009, 05:30 AM #16
    Well - I'm gonna try my best to quit just clicking around on the internet and go over my trades, set up my software for next year, build a real plan.

Though, seems like some juicy trades may come up. I think PACR may be on the rise again... hopefully will break the near resistance, and keep going. But, I'll try to keep from chasing and also, want to keep my account a little cleared out. Tempting though.

Happy Holidays everyone.

Mentor
    12-15-2009, 09:22 AM #17
    Quote Originally Posted by GoHerdGreg View Post

That's brutal Greg ... My Ma's words to this day reverberate; "I hate liar's, thieves and crooks" - Have had my share of vehicle break ins but can't imagine something like this - Thanks for bring the reality home about this, if anybody ought to know better it should be myself - Yesterday I was able to figure out where a missing access badge was at work by reviewing the camera's ...

QEDN had a nice little pop yesterday ...
    larrybaby2 on the shrub who gained some credibility prior to the last PR after talking with Dean stated something should be forthcoming, I believe today ... The whining over there is just ... annoying

Mentor
    12-15-2009, 09:35 AM #18

Aai

They also updated the Atlantic Aviation site recently, looks much cleaner, nice logo ...

http://atlanticaviationinc.net/index.html

12-15-2009, 01:48 PM #19
    Hey Greg -- sorry to hear that your family had this experience!

I also recommend the cameras. They're inexpensive enough that virtually everyone can self-equip.

FYI: there are reasons other than burglaries to have them.

For instance, my son and I have watched possums, cats, and skunks perusing our yard -- which is a lot of fun to view and discuss, especially since there are young questions such as "what happens when we sleep".

My answer: the skunks come out to play...so the stink keeps the boogie man away ;-) ha ha

What's more funny (or ironic) is that my wife teased the hell out of me for wanting the cameras, in the first place. My reasoning was simple - we typically would hire a house-sitter. So, I just wanted to go the cheaper route & get 24/7 "eyes".

Anyway, after returning from our summer vacation - we came home to find our parking passes had been removed from the car & several parking tickets on the windshield.

I reviewed the tapes - found that my wonderful neighbor thought it necessary to help himself to our passes. douche.

yeah, so the wife now loves telling the story & swears by the cameras.

Oh yeah, the monitor is downstairs in my office. It's nice to know who's at the door before I stop what I'm doing to go check. Yeah, that kid that's selling candy...he gets no love -- ha ha

[QUOTE=GoHerdGreg;58243]

12-15-2009, 02:24 PM #20
    Hey, thanks everybody.

I'm going to show the video to the HPD detectives this afternoon.

Should be a fun show to watch for them.

Page 2 of 24 123412 ...