11-03-2013, 01:57 PM #1

Satellite FM transmitter has static but I have no way to direct connect to the radio

I have a problem with static because there are local stations on or around all Sirius bands and no way to connect my plug and play satellite radio directly into my receiver. Any alternative solutions are appreciated.

Head Honcho
    11-03-2013, 04:36 PM #2
    You can plug directly into the FM antenna wire with a FM direct adapter. You'll wind up with much better quality audio than you currently have with the FM transmitter (and no static).

There should be a way to unplug the antenna wire near the antenna and also in the back of the radio. If you are handy enough to get at the back of your radio, its as simple as plugging it in.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

11-03-2013, 09:38 PM #3
    Thanks! Your reply gives me hope! I have an older Buick with the antenna in the windshield. Is that the FM antenna you refer to or the magnetic Sirius antenna that needs to be spliced to the FM adapter? The radio is a bear to get to but I suppose I could take the car to an electronic/audio shop.

Head Honcho
    11-04-2013, 12:32 AM #4
    Yes, I am referring to the car's FM antenna. That antenna plugs into the back of your radio. All you have to do is unplug that antenna, plug it into the adapter, and then plug the adapter into the back of the radio (no "splicing"). You will then have a hard line to plug into the back if your plug and play radio. Run that line out a vent or under the dash and up to wherever your satellite radio is located.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

11-04-2013, 06:43 PM #5
    Thanks for your clarification! Seems like an excellent solution.

Head Honcho
    11-04-2013, 09:51 PM #6
    Glad to help. Let us know how it goes.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

11-05-2013, 09:04 PM #7
    New twist! I can move the antenna in the starmate connector and the static disappears momentarily. Wonder if maybe a defective antenna connector or the plug in the starmate? Anyone had similar problems? Thanks!

Head Honcho
    11-06-2013, 02:07 AM #8
    Lots of people have problems with those plug connectors over time. Whether its the dock, antenna, or FM transmitter, they can all fail or get loose over time.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

11-19-2013, 12:17 PM #9
    Charles, turned out that the antenna jack in the reciever was bad. Had to order a new radio (Stratus 7)that comes with a dock. The antenna plugs into the dock. If I have this problem again I hope I can just replace the dock? On the other hand it looks like Sirius has docking kits available where you can move the radio from car to car without unpluging the antenna. Do you have experience with this feature? Also I was a bit surprised to find that even though I have a lifetime subscription in addition to the retail cost of the replacement radio Sirius wanted a 75 dollar transfer fee. Do you know if this is standard procedure? Rich

Head Honcho
    11-21-2013, 12:35 AM #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebouche View Post
    If I have this problem again I hope I can just replace the dock? On the other hand it looks like Sirius has docking kits available where you can move the radio from car to car without unpluging the antenna. Do you have experience with this feature?
    If you have two complete car docking kits all you have to do is move the Stratus from dock to dock. I know lots of people who have one receiver and multiple docks on things like motorcycles, boats, and RV's.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebouche View Post
    Also I was a bit surprised to find that even though I have a lifetime subscription in addition to the retail cost of the replacement radio Sirius wanted a 75 dollar transfer fee. Do you know if this is standard procedure? Rich
    The $75 fee is standard but, it can be waived if you're swapping to a new receiver because of hardware failure -- all you have to do is ask.

Hope this helps.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder