Page 8 of 9 ... 6789
    Head Honcho
    05-23-2009, 11:26 PM #71
    Quote Originally Posted by imromo24 View Post
    the merger put 2 licenses for 100% of the sat rad spectrum into the hands of one company...at the very least this make SXM quite powerful (even without their excellent content)
    I could not agree more. I think that spectrum is worth more then the total valuation of the company. Its one of the things that helps me sleep at night ;-)
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Guru
    05-24-2009, 07:01 AM #72
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    If that is true, that is a problem IMO. I know the big picture of Netflix because they tell consumers and investors.

That being said, I dont need to know the big picture to know that they should be nailing the low hanging fruit. I work for a software company that specializes in project management, that is a BIG PICTURE but, when I see a quick easy win laying around we grab it and get it into the app ASAP. Its a no brainer and the people I work with all recognize it.

I am not willing to believe that. They have been working on this app for quite a long time. They mentioned this a long time ago, I don't know the exact date but it may have been 12 months ago. They didnt say that it wasn't worth it, they just said they are working on it. They pushed nicemac out of the space because they had some contract with the company producing the application, that company has not delivered, it does not have anything to do with wanting to wait until now, it is plain to see that this last year has been missed opportunity with the high demand for music apps on the iPhone.

If nicemac wasn't clearly gagged on the situation we would all know more... you just have to wonder why those guys got gagged to begin with.

Charles, the low hanging fruit is usually the fruit that has been pick over already by the birds and insects. Now you can be willing to believe or not believe what you want, logic rules my beliefs. As to them mentioning it, you are correct they did after a analyst asked about the possible paring up with apple on something and in almost the same breath Mel said that they are looking into it but that if it did not look like it would be profitable for SIRIXM then they would not do it, and it was not 12 months ago. Once again the Nicemac issue is a perfect example of how you not having the big picture has you guessing at best. I would guess the Nicemac app did not give SIRIXM what they wanted out of the deal and thats why they killed it.

Guru
    05-24-2009, 07:25 AM #73
    If anyone checked out the website links i posted above, particularly the one for the military satellites it may have occured to you how important "spectrum" is.

The military would love more, civilians would love more...its limited space and comes at a high premium....the merger put 2 licenses for 100% of the sat rad spectrum into the hands of one company...at the very least this make SXM quite powerful (even without their excellent content)

imromo24, with all due respect, if you or anyone got into this company at this point and do not know how big (and important) that spectrum is by now, they should not be investing. I have a thread somewhere that I talked about it. That spectrum is as big as all the other radio stations combined, think of it this way, Clear Channel has 750 stations and still only covers about 10% of the area SIRIXM can.

Which brings up a point with Charles not thinking getting this merger through was to costly (or at what price). First of all it could be very easy to debate the issue of where would the companies be without the merger. I think it is safe to say at least one and most likely both would have been bankrupt by now. There was an article put out by a NAB sponsored site that talked about the fact that if there was one company asking for the size of spectrum in the first place, that would be given to SIRI if the merger were to take place then there would be noone out there that would think it possible that the FCC would give that one company that much power. That is the kind of merger Mel got through, He did what noone thought possible at the time. You can say "at what price", I say while the price was high to get the merger. The alternative had a even higher price that no share holder of ether company wanted to pay.

Enthusiast
    05-24-2009, 09:16 AM #74
    john,

when i read the license as issued by the fcc they defined sdars as aural and by default the fcc left the door open for this merger, as they also indicated sirius and xm would be competing with many delivery platforms for listeners, and listed (defined) them.this was no long shot on the merger passing.the only point was where mel claimed the section on no merger was never passed as law and was subjective..imho he was correct.and a court would have most likely agreed.

if sirius and xm wanted they could have combined things/efforts along the way over the years as when i read the license it said they must compete for listeners...no body said they could not advertise in a combined effort for sales or even buying common parts via a shared contract for better leverage.

during 2004 i made these same claims,and blame both sirius/xm for not leveraging this industry against the other delivery platforms.

I think share holders have been shortchanged on many occasions where they could have served the industry and both services as a collective effort.

Guru
    05-24-2009, 10:13 AM #75
    John, yes I knew about the spectrum. I can hardly wait to see what they do with the other half of the spectrum once they figure out how to combine radio technology.

The only thing holding us down as shareholders is the bad rap we have due to dilution, BK scares, looming debt, economy...(lol, boy who would invest in a company with that long list )

Tim, I sure hope they are kicking themselves for not being better prepared for a post merger existence.

Replace radios, open up spectrum:
    I'm just guessing, but lets say the new radio the MiRGE cost them $80, then they could replace all 9million of the other brand radios at a cost of $720million and then open up the other half of the spectrum.

Telemetrics
    So, was thinking last night, with the telemetrics, could they send snapshot photos of the in studio personalities and send them to the screen of your radio. Instead of the background picture on my XMP3 being the channel logo/song name, they could send down a picture of howards current guest.

Guru
    05-24-2009, 10:18 AM #76
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    I could not agree more. I think that spectrum is worth more then the total valuation of the company. Its one of the things that helps me sleep at night ;-)
    Yes, just sit in the corner curled up rocking in place saying "but they own all of that spectrum, they own all of that spectrum..."

I hope for all our sakes that this is the summer to remember..(for good reasons)

Guru
    05-24-2009, 10:19 AM #77

Shareholders meeting

Theres a share hold meeting Wednesday right?

Enthusiast
    05-24-2009, 10:53 AM #78
    Theres a share hold meeting Wednesday right?

yes and as i recall first come first serve and limited seating most likely only 150 will be allowed in again. the good thing about that day is liberty is doing an investors conference later in the day also to be held within New York.

cant even have a meeting held in a space large enough to support many more people how come.....?

Mentor
    05-24-2009, 11:52 AM #79
    Quote Originally Posted by tim wallick View Post
    yes and as i recall first come first serve and limited seating most likely only 150 will be allowed in again. the good thing about that day is liberty is doing an investors conference later in the day also to be held within New York.

cant even have a meeting held in a space large enough to support many more people how come.....?
    Because they know, there are only about 5 percent of long term SiriusXM investors who are "above water"..... ANd probably not even that many. They still have to look at the $40 stockholders in the eye...

Head Honcho
    05-24-2009, 04:36 PM #80
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Once again the Nicemac issue is a perfect example of how you not having the big picture has you guessing at best. I would guess the Nicemac app did not give SIRIXM what they wanted out of the deal and thats why they killed it.
    Fine, they had a strategic reason for not getting to market with the nicemac iPhone app six months ago and then simply squashing it once their own app was ready. Lets assume that for a second... now, are you honestly saying that there is a chance that delaying the release of their own app could somehow be beneficial to the company?
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Page 8 of 9 ... 6789