Page 1 of 9 123 ...
    Guru
    06-05-2010, 05:06 PM #1

Humm, isn't funny how the state effect worse by the oil spill say, DONT STOP DRILLING

Yes that is correct all parties agree (both democrat and republican), say dont stop drilling for oil off their coast. Yes that includes all the parishes (which are controled by democrats) most effected by the spill and BOTH senators (one republican and one democrat). All agree, DONT STOP THE DRILLING OFF THEIR SHORE. Yes most agree the problem is that the safe guards needed to be there and if those failed then reaction times to clean up need to be way faster and that the federal government failed them on both.

Yes that is correct it was a man (Ken Salazar) Obama appointed to Interior Secretary that appointed the person (lizabeth Birnbaum, director of the Minerals Management Service) that not only let BP go on these safeguards. They did not miss them mind you, they actually saw them and gave them a wavier on them, but then it doesn't stop there they then also gave them a safty award, ALL ON THIS SPECIFIC RIG "DEEPWATER HORIZON".

Now lets forget that fact and that Obama appointed the people to make sure this spill does not happen in the first place. Lets move onto who did nothing and even stopped the clean up from going forward as fast as it should have. Opps that is the same people, the Obama administration, They stopped the burn off, they stopped the chemical dilutions, they even stopped the sand berms the governor wanted to place to stop the oil from coming so close to the mainland. They not only did not help in this clean up effort, THEY HINDERD IT.
    Last edited by john; 06-05-2010 at 05:14 PM.

Guru
    06-07-2010, 09:01 AM #2
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Yes that is correct all parties agree (both democrat and republican), say dont stop drilling for oil off their coast. Yes that includes all the parishes (which are controled by democrats) most effected by the spill and BOTH senators (one republican and one democrat). All agree, DONT STOP THE DRILLING OFF THEIR SHORE. Yes most agree the problem is that the safe guards needed to be there and if those failed then reaction times to clean up need to be way faster and that the federal government failed them on both.

Yes that is correct it was a man (Ken Salazar) Obama appointed to Interior Secretary that appointed the person (lizabeth Birnbaum, director of the Minerals Management Service) that not only let BP go on these safeguards. They did not miss them mind you, they actually saw them and gave them a wavier on them, but then it doesn't stop there they then also gave them a safty award, ALL ON THIS SPECIFIC RIG "DEEPWATER HORIZON".

Now lets forget that fact and that Obama appointed the people to make sure this spill does not happen in the first place. Lets move onto who did nothing and even stopped the clean up from going forward as fast as it should have. Opps that is the same people, the Obama administration, They stopped the burn off, they stopped the chemical dilutions, they even stopped the sand berms the governor wanted to place to stop the oil from coming so close to the mainland. They not only did not help in this clean up effort, THEY HINDERD IT.
    This is obviously a complex issue, but I did witness Louisianaians saying they wanted the jobs and that the government did hinder what they wanted to do to protect their coast.

The federal government simply is inefficient and bloated; yet they want to control everything because too many sheeple are stupid and don't understand the concept of personal responsibility.

Mentor
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    06-07-2010, 09:13 AM #3
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriuslyLong View Post
    This is obviously a complex issue, but I did witness Louisianaians saying they wanted the jobs and that the government did hinder what they wanted to do to protect their coast.

The federal government simply is inefficient and bloated; yet they want to control everything because too many sheeple are stupid and don't understand the concept of personal responsibility.
    Yes, you are correct. BP and Haliburton don't understand the concept of personal respsonsibility. The Federal Government didn't do a good job of keeping an eye on them. Can you imagine what would happen if they were left without ANY supervision?

Guru
    06-07-2010, 10:43 AM #4
    Quote Originally Posted by candleman View Post
    Yes, you are correct. BP and Haliburton don't understand the concept of personal respsonsibility. The Federal Government didn't do a good job of keeping an eye on them. Can you imagine what would happen if they were left without ANY supervision?
    Candleman, you sound like BP and Halliburton wanted to leak millions of gallons of oil into the ocean, and obviously, that's not true. What happened is that the last line of defense failed, and someone will be held accountable (as well as a new last line being established).

Our government doesn't know anything about drilling for oil, but I would agree that they can lay down some rules and penalties for polluting, safety violations and the like....

Legend
    06-07-2010, 10:52 AM #5
    The Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill: An Accident Waiting to Happen.

http://e360.yale.edu/content/feature.msp?id=2272

I think it was more than just that " the last line of defense failed".
    Last edited by Havakasha; 06-07-2010 at 10:54 AM.

Guru
    06-07-2010, 11:58 AM #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    The Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill: An Accident Waiting to Happen.

http://e360.yale.edu/content/feature.msp?id=2272

I think it was more than just that " the last line of defense failed".
    Great article, thanks for that. Indeed there is a lot of risk like in many endeavors. My favorite line is this one.

"MMS has also been plagued by scandals in recent years, including one in which eight employees were disciplined for partying, having sex with, and receiving expensive gifts from their energy industry counterparts."

Government at work!!!!

Legend
    06-07-2010, 12:14 PM #7
    LOL. Yes, another example of the Bush/Cheney corrupt Energy Dept at work.

Guru
    06-07-2010, 01:14 PM #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    LOL. Yes, another example of the Bush/Cheney corrupt Energy Dept at work.
    Going backwards, again. So this is how it works in your eyes; the government is good when the administration is democratic like today, but bad when its republican?

Mentor
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    06-07-2010, 01:40 PM #9
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriuslyLong View Post
    Candleman, you sound like BP and Halliburton wanted to leak millions of gallons of oil into the ocean, and obviously, that's not true. What happened is that the last line of defense failed, and someone will be held accountable (as well as a new last line being established).

Our government doesn't know anything about drilling for oil, but I would agree that they can lay down some rules and penalties for polluting, safety violations and the like....
    Oh gosh no, that's not what I meant at all. LOL

What I mean is that some people don't want the government watching over things. They want things to be unregulated and let the free market handle everything. They want smaller government. That's the TEA party mantra. I think we need more government when it comes to my safety and health.

That approach just of smaller government and less regulation can't work. BP and Haliburton needed more regulation. They needed to have more people looking at them and scrutinizing them. They needed someone to say how stupid it is to drill in water that is a mile deep and 50 miles off shore.

Just imagine if they had NO regulation! That's what I meant....

Guru
    06-07-2010, 02:52 PM #10
    Quote Originally Posted by candleman View Post
    Oh gosh no, that's not what I meant at all. LOL

What I mean is that some people don't want the government watching over things. They want things to be unregulated and let the free market handle everything. They want smaller government. That's the TEA party mantra. I think we need more government when it comes to my safety and health.

That approach just of smaller government and less regulation can't work. BP and Haliburton needed more regulation. They needed to have more people looking at them and scrutinizing them. They needed someone to say how stupid it is to drill in water that is a mile deep and 50 miles off shore.

Just imagine if they had NO regulation! That's what I meant....
    I think we agree that the government should "watch over" things, and yes the free market does need oversight. My beef has always been the effectiveness and efficiency by which they do this. Like I said to Havakasha the other day, can we really trust the government whether there is a democrat or republican in office? Do you believe in a government that f'd up social security? Do you believe in a government that is handing my two kids a huge deficit? Do you believe in a government that is fighting two unfunded wars? The list goes on and on and on. The government shouldn't be experts on off shore drilling. The government shouldn't be experts in automobile fuel effeciency... The government needs to be experts in governing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governance

Believe or not, the most interesting take on the spill I've heard has been from Howard Stern. First thing this AM he started railing on BP. He was livid. Evidently Bush 1 capped the liability on spillage to $75 MM. Don't cap the liability, they don't drill. They don't drill, the more you rely on foreign oil.... Now I know Havakasha will be here calling Bush 1 a republican devil, but that was part of the energy policy at the time just as it is Obama's policy to spend money he doesn't have today.

BTW, I am one for less government involvement (i.e. a smaller government).

Page 1 of 9 123 ...