Page 2 of 2 12
    Legend
    06-25-2010, 05:24 PM #11
    I thought this thread was about Bush and deepwater? Oh im finally seeing the connection. He helped to put us into this deep, deep mess that we are presently in. Both in the economy and with the oil spill. It all makes sense now.

Guru
    06-25-2010, 05:27 PM #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    I am talking about the Corporations that lobby Congress and control legislation so that derivatives are traded in ways that bring down the worlds financial system. I am also talking about the pharmaceutical companies that lobby Congress and have helped to create the costliest health care system in the developed world. I am also talking about the Oil companies and auto companies which have fought changes in our energy plans so as to cost the consumer and this country both in years wasted and money lost. And on and on and on. I have no problems with big companies making profits, employing people and being the engines of growth in this country. I have a HUGE problem when they have inordinate power to control legislation which in the long run damages our economy and hurts the middle class and consumers in general.
    Lets rein in the ABUSES. The pendulum swung too far in one direction under Bush/Cheney and its got to come back.

I like free enterprise. (My grandfather started one of the most successful restaurants in NY)
    I dont like it when its no longer truly free enterprise .
    You dont seem to get the fact that MONEY HAS CORRUPTED THE SYSTEM.
    So now money is on the list of your evils as well along with big corporations, capital gains, rich people......... And remember one thing about those derivatives; what were they derived from?? Mortgages. Bad mortgages. Do I have to revisit my favorite talking point?

Hey, did you grandfather start Rao's?

Legend
    06-25-2010, 05:35 PM #13
    Corrupt money spent to harm middle class people is definitely on my list. Always has been. Oh yeah you just reminded me of something i left off my list:Mortgage companies that pushed people with little or no income into mortgages they had no business being in.

Nope it wasnt Rao's. i can tell you off thread but not interested in posting here with someone like John lurking. He might organize a boycott. I say that in jest, but you always got to keep in the back of your mind he is one sick puppy.

i have no problem with anything on YOUR list. As matter of fact i love capital gains but i have no problem paying 20% on them. Kinda of what Warren Buffett believes. Oh yeah i forgot you want Buffett to pay a lower tax rate than his secretary even though he wants to pay more.
    Last edited by Havakasha; 06-25-2010 at 05:42 PM.

Guru
    06-25-2010, 05:42 PM #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    Corrupt money spent to harm middle class people is definitely on my list. Always has been. Oh yeah you just reminded me of something i left off my list:Mortgage companies that pushed people with little or no income into mortgages they had no business being in.
    Those banks were incentivized by the government. Jeeze dude. In case you forgot how the damn thing worked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fannie_Mae

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddie_mac

Legend
    06-25-2010, 05:51 PM #15
    And Jeez dude you forgot how they created all kinds of schemes that backfired and brought the worlds financial system to its knees and helped put us into the 2nd worst recession in our history. We were VERY close to a DEPRESSION. 25% unemployment. Imagine if we had listened to those Republicans who didnt want any kind of bailout. Im talking deepwater and deep doo doo.
    Last edited by Havakasha; 06-25-2010 at 05:54 PM.

Guru
    06-25-2010, 08:19 PM #16
    Quote Originally Posted by havakasha View Post
    and jeez dude you forgot how they created all kinds of schemes that backfired and brought the worlds financial system to its knees and helped put us into the 2nd worst recession in our history. We were very close to a depression. 25% unemployment. Imagine if we had listened to those republicans who didnt want any kind of bailout. Im talking deepwater and deep doo doo.
    you can't handle the truth!!! Lol.

Legend
    06-26-2010, 12:19 AM #17
    Jeez and here i was thinking all this time that it was you who couldnt handle the truth. lol.

Mentor
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    06-26-2010, 12:54 PM #18

It's a slow day at the office

You two are cracking me up. So, since it's really slow at work today, I think I'll join right in.

To begin with. George Bush and Dick Cheney, the oil Gods, did help change rules and regulations that helped lead to this current disaster. History is important on this issue because without the two of them, regulations would have kept this sort of disaster from ever happening in the Gulf. Yes, Obama could have responded quicker if BP would have been honest from the start. But, BP wasn't honest and our country was not prepared for this type of accident. The trick now is to never let this happen again.

As for the recession......
    Housing was a big part of it. Cheap credit for cars, tv's, candles, swimming pools and so on, played a big role too. And I think the high cost of oil played a major part also. If you remember, just before the recession started, oil was trading near 150 dollars a barrel. And once again, the trick is to learn from those mistakes and not repeat them.

Chuck

Guru
    06-27-2010, 10:35 AM #19
    Quote Originally Posted by candleman View Post
    You two are cracking me up. So, since it's really slow at work today, I think I'll join right in.

To begin with. George Bush and Dick Cheney, the oil Gods, did help change rules and regulations that helped lead to this current disaster. History is important on this issue because without the two of them, regulations would have kept this sort of disaster from ever happening in the Gulf. Yes, Obama could have responded quicker if BP would have been honest from the start. But, BP wasn't honest and our country was not prepared for this type of accident. The trick now is to never let this happen again.

As for the recession......
    Housing was a big part of it. Cheap credit for cars, tv's, candles, swimming pools and so on, played a big role too. And I think the high cost of oil played a major part also. If you remember, just before the recession started, oil was trading near 150 dollars a barrel. And once again, the trick is to learn from those mistakes and not repeat them.

Chuck
    The big difference between you and Havakasha is that you promote learning, and he promotes blaming to support his liberal agenda. HA.

I agree and am dissappointed that neither BP nor the US nor the State of Louisiana had any contingecy plans to this sort of disaster, and as a result of this disaster, should off shore drilling continue, we will better prepared to mitigate or eliminate this kind of thing.

Page 2 of 2 12