Guru
    06-23-2009, 02:09 PM #1

Investing $100,000 in one stock

I started investing with hundreds, now i invest in thousands...have not made it to 10's of thousands let alone 100's of thousands....

stocks are "fun" money for me with the hope of maybe hitting a big one and I try not to invest with more than i can afford to lose.

I see a lot of people with 100k shares of siri with avg's over $1, meaning, some around here invest in hundreds of thousands of dollars.

What is the intention, background and thought process of someone who invests that kind of money in the stock market, as an independant investor?

Do you/they have so much money that 100k is play money...

Is no amount of money earned in the market enough?

Enthusiast
    06-23-2009, 05:45 PM #2
    If you've got it, why not use it how you choose??? Somehow or another those who have 6 figures, have earned it or inherited it.....so why not make your money grow or take the chance on losing it in the market?? We're all big boys and girls here......

To each his own, good luck and WHY NOT??

Cheers,
    -Whnot

Guru
    06-23-2009, 07:01 PM #3
    The End.....

06-23-2009, 07:33 PM #4
    Romo,

I was invested in this stock starting at $2 to over $5, then I begain the unbelievable game of "catching the falling knife" cut all my fingers of then went to the toes. I offically went ALL IN with a 50K share buy at .0775 just to watch the stock fall another 30% 2 hrs later. There was NO WAY I was going to allow $3 to be my cost basis (I feel bad for those that are in that situation) I now own around 420,000 shares with a cost basis near .60.
    However I have been writting a ton of calls the last few months!!

Addict
    06-23-2009, 07:49 PM #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Whynot View Post
    If you've got it, why not use it how you choose??? Somehow or another those who have 6 figures, have earned it or inherited it.....so why not make your money grow or take the chance on losing it in the market?? We're all big boys and girls here......

To each his own, good luck and WHY NOT??

Cheers,
    -Whnot
    If Sirius goes to .80 cents, I will be investing 100k , right now worth much less. So 1.80 would be much nicer.

Then I would be about even !!!

Addict
    06-24-2009, 12:47 AM #6
    Quote Originally Posted by LIBOR/TED SPREAD View Post
    Romo,

I was invested in this stock starting at $2 to over $5, then I begain the unbelievable game of "catching the falling knife" cut all my fingers of then went to the toes. I offically went ALL IN with a 50K share buy at .0775 just to watch the stock fall another 30% 2 hrs later. There was NO WAY I was going to allow $3 to be my cost basis (I feel bad for those that are in that situation) I now own around 420,000 shares with a cost basis near .60.
    However I have been writting a ton of calls the last few months!!
    You make me want to buy even more - I only have 127,000 shares, but I need 1.80 to break even from 6 - 7 years ago.

Mentor
    06-24-2009, 11:03 AM #7
    Quote Originally Posted by sxminvestor View Post
    You make me want to buy even more - I only have 127,000 shares, but I need 1.80 to break even from 6 - 7 years ago.
    If you have Money your willing to lose,thier is no earthly reason to not avg down as best you can right now..IMHO DYODD..
    But i bought 30k shares last august at $1.44,this is money i was willing to lose.then bought more at .50,.25 and then on March 6th after Liberty deal announced,doubled down with 200k shares at .13...
    so now i have 400k at .26 avg...so i doubled my investment /Money but shares went from 30k to 400k....
    Again this all depends on your own situation with regards to cash available to you that is not mortgage or rent or any other money needed in next year at least.
    Good luck,hope this helps,JMHO Not an expert at all...

Guru
    06-24-2009, 01:22 PM #8
    I think many got into it and without realizing it had more into it then they would have liked. The reason, if it is like mine is first of all they made a crap load when it took off from under a buck to over 8 and 9. Then started to put much of it back in as it came back down. I personally never thought I would ever have over 100,000 or much less a 150,000 in any spec stock but here I am. The problem is many feel it just doesn't make sense that it is this low. I know, I know it has lost money every year so far but then I ask you what new start up company has not. My problem is that if you take all the cost/debt that they have the spectrum they hold is almost worth that alone. not to mention they have over a billion in radios that are not turned on right now and the 2 billion worth of the satellites that are up at this point (Calm down homer I am talking about the worth to SIRIXM, due to the cost to get them there, not what they are worth on the open market). So if one takes just those two, it shows where the 3 billion in liabilities/loans came from.

Addict
    06-24-2009, 04:31 PM #9
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyIrishXM View Post
    If you have Money your willing to lose,thier is no earthly reason to not avg down as best you can right now..IMHO DYODD..
    But i bought 30k shares last august at $1.44,this is money i was willing to lose.then bought more at .50,.25 and then on March 6th after Liberty deal announced,doubled down with 200k shares at .13...
    so now i have 400k at .26 avg...so i doubled my investment /Money but shares went from 30k to 400k....
    Again this all depends on your own situation with regards to cash available to you that is not mortgage or rent or any other money needed in next year at least.
    Good luck,hope this helps,JMHO Not an expert at all...
    Well I now have 145k shares and if I get the right opportunity to sell on a big pop, then get back in 5 cents cheaper, I'll add another 20k shares. So far it's worked for me.

I had only about 55k shares when it dropped from 1.00 to .05, now almost tripled share count. If I didn't believe so much that this will eventually go much higher, I could have had alot more shares swing trading. My hope that it would hold certain levels each time cost me huge opportunities to move my $ to the side and increase my share count substantially more.

It's a dangerous game that I am trying to really pick my spots on because there is going to be a day that there is no pullback.

By the way, I can't afford to lose this $ and I can't afford to not triple this $ by being out.

I believe it will at least triple in the next 12 -18 months, maybe sooner.

12-27-2018, 04:32 AM #10
    Hey, that’s an interesting post on investing $100,000 in one stock. For me that’s really huge amount and will personally like to split amount for different investments. Well, I am not having experience with the investments so can’t say much about it. For my first stock investment, I am surely going to get advice from the personal financial planning expert.